An Old School Catholic Message Board

Here's A Bomb

Lilllabettt

PhuturePriest

I think that it's a bit too much on the "conservitives you be going down"    Rather I think that Francis is trying to rid the church of verbal abusers (quite frankly like Burke) who use the Bible and Chatechism as their own personal bludgeoning bar.

Oh, you did not just slam Cardinal Burke. This is war.

And for the record, I have never seen a non-supporter of the LCWR bash Latin quite as much as you have. Latin is the official language of the Church, so I would recommend learning to love it.

KnightofChrist

And for the record, I have never seen a non-supporter of the LCWR bash Latin quite as much as you have. Latin is the official language of the Church, so I would recommend learning to love it.

It's rather strange that so many who want the Church to become more welcoming, show more mercy, love and peace to the world are so quick to close their open arms, and throw mercy, love and peace under the bus to get rid of the 'conservatives', orthodox, or traditional Catholics.

Calm down. Please. This discussion was just getting back towards possible civility. Or at the very least the phatmass equivalent. 

Latin is flawed, like every language.  I dislike Traditional Latin Mass becuase of the attitudes, and think that they made the right move in the 600-1200's when they allowed asian mssionarys to say Mass in the Venacular.

I don't hate Latin, I despise what comes from those who cling to a language like it's Gospel.

Edited by blazeingstar

PhuturePriest

Calm down. Please. This discussion was just getting back towards possible civility. Or at the very least the phatmass equivalent. 

On Phatmass, civility ends when stupid abounds.

Ancilla Domini

Latin is flawed, like every language.  I dislike Traditional Latin Mass becuase of the attitudes, and think that they made the right move in the 600-1200's when they allowed asian mssionarys to say Mass in the Venacular.

I don't hate Latin, I despise what comes from those who cling to a language like it's Gospel.

We don't cling to it like it's Gospel, we just think this:

"The use of the Latin language prevailing in a great part of the Church affords at once an imposing sign of unity and an effective safeguard against the corruptions of true doctrine." - Pope Pius XII

and this:

"The Catholic Church has a dignity far surpassing that of every merely human society, for it was founded by Christ the Lord. It is altogether fitting, therefore, that the language it uses should be noble, majestic, and non-vernacular." - John XXII

and this:

"The Latin language is assuredly worthy of being defended with great care instead of being scorned; for the Latin Church it is the most abundant source of Christian civilization and the richest treasury of piety…. We must not hold in low esteem these traditions of your fathers, which were your glory for centuries." - Pope Paul VI

and...well, this:

"The day the Church abandons her universal tongue [Latin] is the day before she returns to the catacombs." - Pope Pius XII

What does Trent say: 22nd Session; Ch. 9, Canon 9: "If anyone says that the rite of the Roman Church according to which part of the canon and the words of consecration are pronounced in a low tone, is to be condemned; or that the mass ought to be celebrated in the vernacular tongue only;..., let him be anathema."

The EF Mass itself does not have an attitude; the people who attend sometimes do - it very much depends where you attend.  

you know the Latin  thing is interesting but is not really the point of the thread.

is it possible that people who support the traditional teaching re: marriage have a duty to actually resist the Pope in this situation?  Like a moral responsibility? Is it possible we have to "save' the Pope from error? Is that a thing in general and is it a thing in this instance?? 

PhuturePriest

you know the Latin  thing is interesting but is not really the point of the thread.

is it possible that people who support the traditional teaching re: marriage have a duty to actually resist the Pope in this situation?  Like a moral responsibility? Is it possible we have to "save' the Pope from error? Is that a thing in general and is it a thing in this instance?? 

Many Saints have spoken out against Popes of their time. King Saint Louis, Saint Catherine of Sienna, etc. Saint Henry III was canonized for overthrowing Popes of his time while he had the power to do so. There seems to be this insane idea among most Catholics that criticizing something the Pope said makes you one step away from Sedevacantism. Saints have a long history of criticizing bad Popes of their time, and good Popes who said something worthy of scrutiny.

Edited by FuturePacker

Credo in Deum

you know the Latin thing is interesting but is not really the point of the thread.

is it possible that people who support the traditional teaching re: marriage have a duty to actually resist the Pope in this situation? Like a moral responsibility? Is it possible we have to "save' the Pope from error? Is that a thing in general and is it a thing in this instance??

I think we do have an obligation if the situation is clearly a violation of doctrine and the Pope has clearly taken a side which is heretical. I personally do not believe this situation with the Synod has been clear enough to make a decision regarding the Pope's position. I personally view Francis as wanting to find a way or maybe new ways to present the beauty of the Church's Doctrine.