Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Credo in Deum
Posted

 

 
Did the African countries come to aninformed decision about their faith adoption in the first place? No it was imported by colonial masters and clerical missionaries. They still hold, in large parts, a theology that was left by those evangelists. The damage some have done is for others to write books about. But education is a major problem now, as is healthcare. So is the exploitation of them on an ongoing basis by the West, American corporates included. When people are dying, uneducated and superstitious they tend to find fundamentalist notions appealing. When people have zero and need hope it's no wonder such views help them get through. But getting angry and demanding reform would be the best long term strategy many could have, especially for their children. Will the church help on that? I guess we'll have to go figure.

 

 

You mean colonial masters like the Apostle St. Mark?

Posted (edited)

You mean colonial masters like the Apostle St. Mark?

 

Well, I think the reference is more to sub-Saharan Africa. But in that case, you could still refer to the deacon Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch. Clearly colonial oppressors. 

Edited by Amppax
Posted

Are you a patronizing white male by any chance? 

 

Cardinal Kasper is that you?

 

Trust you Lillabett. :troll:
 

Posted

...Saint Thomas More is speaking to the man whom wants to marry his daughter,...

who

Posted

Are you a patronizing white male by any chance? 

 

Cardinal Kasper is that you?

 

Yeah, that buncha ignorant, superstitious African jungle primitives doesn't know what's best for them.  They're clearly in need of an enlightened white Englishman to teach them the path to salvation through gay ritez and leftist politics.

 

 

. . . When people are dying, uneducated and superstitious they tend to find fundamentalist notions appealing. . . .

 

 

Would you be referring to "fundamentalist notions" like those taught by the Church since the 1st century, and published in the Catechism of the Catholic Church?

Posted (edited)

Yeah, that buncha ignorant, superstitious African jungle primitives doesn't know what's best for them.  They're clearly in need of an enlightened white Englishman to teach them the path to salvation through gay ritez and leftist politics.

 

Divert and deflect. I thought that was a tactic of the media spin you dislike so much. Maybe you just haven't anything to contribute. I haven't pointed out anything that hasn't already been commented on plenty of times elsewhere. There's a whole field on post colonial theology and theory.

Go after the issues if you like, but you have a habit of throwing assumptive labels around. Your points might seem more weighty if you stopped making bloopers. FYI -  I don't identify as English. I'm not sure why I would or why it's relevant.  Not all Europeans are white -  I'm not. I don't identify as leftist, liberal or conservative either.
 

Would you be referring to "fundamentalist notions" like those taught by the Church since the 1st century, and published in the Catechism of the Catholic Church?

No, not really. I'm talking of fundamentalism, as mostly a trend since the end of the 19th century. Although some other ideas were fundamental before that (by and large), but are no longer accepted.

Edited by Benedictus
KnightofChrist
Posted

Lilllabettt set up us the bomb.

Posted (edited)

Divert and deflect. I thought that was a tactic of the media spin you dislike so much. Maybe you just haven't anything to contribute. I haven't pointed out anything that hasn't already been commented on plenty of times elsewhere. There's a whole field on post colonial theology and theory.

Go after the issues if you like, but you have a habit of throwing assumptive labels around. Your points might seem more weighty if you stopped making bloopers. FYI -  I don't identify as English. I'm not sure why I would or why it's relevant.  Not all Europeans are white -  I'm not. I don't identify as leftist, liberal or conservative either.

 

My apologies for being mistaken about your nationality/color.  (I had the impression from one of your posts I read that you were English, but perhaps I was wrong.)

 

However, my main point still stands, as does your condescending and dismissive attitude towards African Catholics.

 

And whatever you call yourself, the socialistic ideology you repeatedly spout on here certainly sounds leftist to me (or at very least left-wing).  But it sounds now like you're just quibbling for the sake of quibbling.

 

 

No, not really. I'm talking of fundamentalism, as mostly a trend since the end of the 19th century. Although some other ideas were fundamental before that (by and large), but are no longer accepted.

 

 

Yes, properly speaking "fundamentalist" refers to a particular school of Protestantism which started in the 19th century (despite being now used as a broad slur which usually means no more than "religious people I don't agree with").  

However, I was specifically talking about Catholics, and specifically about Catholic teachings on sexual morality (which are not a 19th century invention, but have always, and still are, part of Catholic moral teaching.)

 

If this is not what you were talking about, perhaps you could clarify as to exactly what "fundamentalist notions" you were referring to.

 

In any case, this sounds like a different tune from your original contention that Catholic teachings on sexual morality were somehow preventing the spread of the Faith in poor countries.  It's more wealthy, decadent cultures that have such a huge issue with such moral teachings.

Edited by Socrates
veritasluxmea
Posted

It's more wealthy, decadent cultures that have such a huge issue with such moral teachings.

When ever people start talking about WASP culture problems and African problems, I'm always reminded of this article. 

 

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/12/where-masturbation-and-homosexuality-do-not-exist/265849/

 

 

Barry and Bonnie Hewlett had been studying the Aka and Ngandu people of central Africa for many years before they began to specifically study the groups' sexuality. As they reported in the journal African Study Monographs, the married couple of anthropologists from Washington State University "decided to systematically study sexual behavior after several campfire discussions with married middle-aged Aka men who mentioned in passing that they had sex three or four times during the night. At first [they] thought it was just men telling their stories, but we talked to women and they verified the men's assertions."

In turning to a dedicated study of sex practices, the Hewletts formally confirmed that the campfire stories were no mere fish tales. Married Aka and Ngandu men and women consistently reported having sex multiple times in a single night. But in the process of verifying this, the Hewletts also incidentally found that homosexuality and masturbation appeared to be foreign to both groups.

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...