An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Saints And Not So Much

Basilisa Marie

PhuturePriest

I find it comforting that saints with different personalities made it and see the beatific vision. Just a forewarning, the saint(s) you like the least may be the first to meet you at the heavenly gates. I would suggest to try to get along with them and learn more about them. I have nothing in common The Cure of Ars or St. Paul, but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Precisely. Blessed Mother Teresa doesn't inspire me in any way, and I don't have anything in common with her other than the fact that we're both Catholic, but that doesn't mean I dislike her. I admire her for reaching Heaven, and I hope she's praying for me so hopefully I can get to know her for all eternity and get to see in her what God sees.

veritasluxmea

If you actually hate or strongly dislike a saint, you might want to examine yourself and find out why. That's probably not helping you on the way to heaven. Feeling neutral towards someone or just thinking, "Eh, that's not really my thing" is one thing, but actual dislike is another. I can think of a few saints that I feel repelled by or have a strong emotional reaction against, and it's not for good reasons. It's not the actual person or their way of life I dislike, as much as their fan base or what they've come to represent. For me, facing those issues and reconciling myself with that has been helpful. 

If you actually hate or strongly dislike a saint, you might want to examine yourself and find out why. That's probably not helping you on the way to heaven. 

i just don't know how I feel about this statement. because it sounds awfully like "If you dislike any saint, that's sinful." not sure that's what you meant, :unsure:

veritasluxmea

i just don't know how I feel about this statement. because it sounds awfully like "If you dislike any saint, that's sinful." not sure that's what you meant, :unsure:

I meant if you hate a saint as in actually hate someone, which I don't think anyone here does just saying... ah, never mind. 

Basilisa Marie

Yeah, that's why I said "not so much" instead of "hate" or something like that. :)  I don't think anyone around here actually hates a saint, but there are some that we just don't get the appeal, or whatever.  

So, people lots of favorite saints, WHY are they your favorite? It's cool to see so many people with long lists, but I'm curious as to why you like them so much. 

My absolute favourites are Bl. Charles de Foucauld, St Elizabeth, St Peter, St Bernadette, St John of the Cross, and Bl. Damien of Molokai.

There are some lesser-known Carmelite saints whom I also love, and I'm increasingly interested in St Margaret Mary (I have a great devotion to the Sacred Heart).

They are not canonised yet, but Little Sister Magdeleine of Jesus (founder of the Little Sisters of Jesus) has had a very big influence on me as well, as has Dorothy Day. Jean Vanier is still alive, so I suppose I can't really list him. :P

I don't really have any saints whom I dislike, just saints whose writings and opinions rub me up the wrong way and sometimes cause me hurt.

Credo in Deum

Yeah, that's why I said "not so much" instead of "hate" or something like that. :) I don't think anyone around here actually hates a saint, but there are some that we just don't get the appeal, or whatever.

So, people lots of favorite saints, WHY are they your favorite? It's cool to see so many people with long lists, but I'm curious as to why you like them so much.

St. John the Great Sinner: just learning about him. His name is awesome so I wanted to mention him.

St. Joseph Cafasso: He was St. Don Basco's spiritual director and was called the priest of the gallows. He ministered and converted so many prisoners at that last moment of their life. His life inspires me to never give up because Christ never gives up on us no matter how bad our crimes. St. Cafasso's lecture given on the priesthood from the retreats he would host are absolutely amazing. I think all seminarians should read them and all priests as well.

St. Maria Goretti and St. Augustine: Maria is one of my favorites because of the love she showed her attacker both in life and after death. As someone who has been abused I've always struggled with forgiving in my heart the person responsible. Maria teaches me there is a freedom in forgiveness and that I can use the hurtful things people do to me to win their soul for Christ. Augustine gives me hope that those who struggle with sexual impurity and who have done sins that fill the heart with great shame can, with God's grace, become great saints even if the conversion is later in life. Plus he had a strong Mother who never gave up praying for him and I, like him, have a mother who did the exact same thing for me.

St. Mother Teresa and all of the Franciscan Saints: I love these saints and consider them the testers of God's Word so to speak. What I mean by that is when you read the gospel where Christ gives the sermon on the mount about how not to worry and that God who takes care of the birds and the lilies will take care of us, I picture them saying, "alright God. You got it this." They show me the peace and joy that can be found in poverty. I've always wanted to forsake all money and material possessions. To own nothing and live with this beautiful trust that it doesn't matter that you have nothing because with Christ you have everything.

St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Albert the Great: these two saints I'm fond of for their love of the Truth. Both of them were incredibly smart and I pray for their intercession when I take tests. Thomas holds a special place for me because he was overweight, something I always struggle with. I also like him because he puts to bed the stereotype "fat and dumb. " Plus one time his friends tried to lock him in a room with a woman who wanted to have sex with him and he chased her out of the room with a fire poker!

St. Gregory the Great: I love Gregorian chant and being in the schola at Church. Chant has pulled me out of some dark days and I owe my conversion to this sacred music.

I'm going to shorten this. I have too much to write.

St. Alphonsus: this is my tell it like it is saint. He is my No bs and no soft talk saint. I love his writings on the Sacrifice of the Mass.

The North American Martyrs: too much to list.

St. Rita of Cascia St. Jude: both of them are my go to saints when I despair and feel hopeless.
St. Faustina: Devine Mercy, need I say more?

St. Peter my confirmation saint and my favorite apostle. No just because he is the first pope but because he was the king of the foot in the mouth. He falls epically and gets back up because he truly loves God.

St. Christopher: my birth name. Some say he didn't exist but I don't think so.

PhuturePriest

Yeah, that's why I said "not so much" instead of "hate" or something like that. :)  I don't think anyone around here actually hates a saint, but there are some that we just don't get the appeal, or whatever.  

Saint John Paul the Great is arguably my favorite, and as to why, it shouldn't be much of puzzle. A very great and holy man, very brave, very intellectual, and he had a very interesting life. The fact that his life is interconnected with Nazis makes me biased, as I am easily fascinated by anything to do with World War II.

CountrySteve21

St. Benedict is one of my favorites because he's the only school drop-out that one can admire

His Holy Rule, after the Holy Scriptures is one of the most inspirational readings ever! Just read the Prologue.And  his great devotional to the sign of the cross is very admirable.

I forget the name of the martyr, but its somewhere in the Roman Martrology: He was being tortured by one of the Roman Emperors and they sent a women to tempt him to lust and he bit his tongue off and spat it at her; shows how much we should fight for and value chastity!

Edited by CountrySteve21

I had never heard of Charles de Foucauld before this thread. Very cool. 

The secular institute I'm in formation with is founded in his spirituality. He was an amazing man, and he is a saint who makes me realise that holiness is possible for me too.

Saints I really like:

St Edmund Campion (confirmation saint! If you don't know about him look him up. Amazing guy)

St Josemaria Escriva - his writings help me to be a better Christian.

Our Lady - gotta love your Mum

St Augustine - Mainly for Confessions. He had some puritanical views though.

St John Paul II - inspirational, especially his early life

I had never heard of Charles de Foucauld before this thread. Very cool. 

Bl. Brother Charles is one of my closest heavenly friends.  There are some saints that seem to come and go out of my life at different times and for different reasons and some saints who seem to be always with me, showing me how to love Christ and live my vocation.  He is one of those who is always there with me  :)