An Old School Catholic Message Board

Borthers And Sisters

Carla

I will like to start new topic i'm interesting in something.After i reed beautiful vocation story about twin sisters (Phoenix ,Cheyenne) i'm interesting what is your situation with brothers in sister.If you have them are they interested in religious life an discerning or it is different.I have 2 others sisters and we are all different so i'm interested in other experiences.

Edited by Carla

Ooh, good topic! :)  I have a younger sister. We are very, very alike in temperament and in things like humour, attitude towards careers, TV shows we like (she finally finished Breaking Bad last night and needed some support over text message!). But she's not a believer, and she feels completely at home in our culture. That's a big difference between us and one that we don't often talk in depth about. She doesn't pretend to understand why I want to be a nun, but says pretty much, 'Well, whatever floats your boat.'... which I guess is one of the nicer things about the culture in the UK. There's an openness to people being validly different.

PhuturePriest

I will like to start new topic i'm interesting in something.After i reed beautiful vocation story about twin sisters (Phoenix ,Cheyenne) i'm interesting what is your situation with brothers in sister.If you have them are they interested in religious life an discerning or it is different.I have 2 others sisters and we are all different so i'm interested in other experiences.

I am the youngest of three children. My brother is three years older than I am, and my sister is three years older than my brother. However, my sister and I have always been really close despite the six year age gap. She was always really religious, which is how I became religious (I pretty much did whatever she did,) and she discerned for a really long time. Eventually, she discerned she wasn't called to religious life, went to college, and then married a man and now has two kids. I recently discerned I am most certainly not called to religious life, but I am still going to apply to seminary and see about being a seminarian. If I were to become a priest, I would be the first ever priest we know of on either side of the family.

Tradosaurus Rex

I have two brothers.  One is married and the other was discerning religious life for a while but not so much anymore. He has visited a couple communities over the years, but none of them believed he had a calling.  Right now he is taking a break for a while and is starting to go out on dates.   He has been really frustrated lately with the whole discernment thing.  I pray he finds peace in his life, because he truly is a remarkable person.   

JMJ

I have three older sisters, one of whom is my twin sister. The two eldest have boyfriends and my twin does not feel called to religious life at this time, after contemplating it in her heart for a long time (she seems interested in marriage). I have always been very close to each of them, but as some others were saying, they are all very immersed into today's culture. My family goes to Sunday Mass together weekly which I am happy we are able to do together.
I do agree with you, the vocation stories of Phoenix and Cheyenne is very beautiful!

As twin sisters, many think you will have the same vocation. It is understandable, since they tend to be very close to one another (all twins to be precise, not just sisters). Some may and others do not. My twin and I always thought we would live together, but God had different plans! We must take different paths in life, and it has been a difficult thing for me and my family, but also a very beautiful thing.

May Jesus keep you in His Sacred Heart.

veritasluxmea

I have three younger siblings. They're aware that I'm discerning but they don't really care. I think my brother may have a vocation too, but he's to young at the moment to start discerning. 

ChristinaTherese

I have one older sister who isn't really religious and has a couple of kids, she might be aware that I'm discerning but I don't think she cares too much. I also have an older brother, who was on the cusp of marriage but called it off (over a year ago) and is now discerning religious priesthood. We also became Catholic somewhat together (separated by two years, but with each other's support).

So many beautiful stories.It is so nice that we are very different but still we have great connections with our brothers and sisters.For me is it interesting that we came from same families we have same parenting but still we end up very different.

I have 3 sisters and we are also so different.My oldest sister is married and she have 2 children.She never consider any vocation or something similar,She only wanted family and carrier.Her faith is Sunday mass and that is all.I'm the middle one and i have many ups and down in my vocation.But this is story for compliantly different topic.Now i have finally

give the application and with God' grace soon i hope so i will enter the community.

My younger sister also have different path but in the same time similar to me.We are 3 years diffidence and she start working right after the high school.She found her self job that involve traveling and she travel half of the world.She use to have boyfriends and she live pretty secular life for few years.She went to masses and keep the faith in her life but she

never consider religious life till last year.After years of searching her self and search for God's grace finally she decided that she is called for religious life.Now same as me she preparing her self for entering and starting her collage.But we are considering two different communities.So in some way we are even different in this.

So many beautiful stories.It is so nice that we are very different but still we have great connections with our brothers and sisters.For me is it interesting that we came from same families we have same parenting but still we end up very different.

I have 3 sisters and we are also so different.My oldest sister is married and she have 2 children.She never consider any vocation or something similar,She only wanted family and carrier.Her faith is Sunday mass and that is all.I'm the middle one and i have many ups and down in my vocation.But this is story for compliantly different topic.Now i have finally

give the application and with God' grace soon i hope so i will enter the community.

My younger sister also have different path but in the same time similar to me.We are 3 years diffidence and she start working right after the high school.She found her self job that involve traveling and she travel half of the world.She use to have boyfriends and she live pretty secular life for few years.She went to masses and keep the faith in her life but she

never consider religious life till last year.After years of searching her self and search for God's grace finally she decided that she is called for religious life.Now same as me she preparing her self for entering and starting her collage.But we are considering two different communities.So in some way we are even different in this.

Wow, Carla, that's amazing! :)

• 3 months later...

I totally forgot about this topic.i just want to give quick update about my sister.As i already write my sister after very short discerning 3 months ago enter the postulate.

Few days before entering her life become little bit complicated and she considering to move her entrance day till spring.

After short consideration she decided that she will stay with her original entrance day.The moment of her entrance has been very emotional for me and for my family.

My parents has been very proud and very sad in the same time.I could notice that in this period my sister is very happy.She smiles all the time and i see that she is fitting there pretty good.When i have found out my entrance day i become sad only because of one thing.Proudly i will not able to atent my sisters taking her first vows.But i have accepted that and i'm so happy because of her :)

That seems like one of the best reasons not to be able to go!  :console:

Yes i understand that and i accept this,but still this information made me sad.But i will be ok.Only important is that my sister is happy:)

brandelynmarie

Carla, I often think about the weddings & such I would miss in the cloister... But Marigold is right, what better reason is there? :blush: You can unite yourself to your loved ones in the Eucharist & in your prayers & hold them in your heart...

My younger brother was married, but he died two years ago. I would have called him nondenominational protestant. He had a "whatever floats your boat" sort of attitude toward my discernment. My younger sister is agnostic, but she is seeking God in her own way. She has a young child & really doesn't understand what I'm trying to do with my life... And yes, I'm a convert! ;)

My younger brother was married, but he died two years ago.

Im so sorry for your loss! :console:

To answer the original question, my brothers and sister don't know Im discerning and unless Im accepted Im not telling them either!