An Old School Catholic Message Board

Borthers And Sisters

Carla

Im so sorry for your loss! :console:

To answer the original question, my brothers and sister don't know Im discerning and unless Im accepted Im not telling them either!

Carla, I am so glad you are very active in the vocations groups. Thank you. I still remember when you first joined our Vocations Chat. It was such a blessing. :) Many prayers for your discernment as always. 

To be honest, it's a good idea to keep discernment quiet, even after you are accepted. Anything can happen between being accepted and entering, not to mention, a lot can happen before that too! By keeping your discernment quiet, and maybe only sharing with other discerners and in vocations groups with vocations directors/religious communities etc, you are more able to focus on discerning without the pressures of others trying to give you their own opinion on what they think about your life. This is one of those issues between you and God. 

When I told my family that I would be entering with Religious Sisters, they threw a fit and started accusing the Sisters of all sorts of things like trying to kidnap me and send me off somewhere etc. They went completely out of their mind. Nothing was sober about family life (they were not in the right state of mind, even though they were not drinking or on drugs). So, anyway, I'm doing a university degree and my vocation only strengthens by the day. I can notice the difference in my heart that my desire for the Religious Life is much stronger than it was, thank God. The Sisters know I still desire to enter, and sometime after I have worked for a little while after my degree, I will probably reapply for the Postulancy. Please keep me in prayer in the mean time as it can be difficult at times. My family still don't accept my faith decisions in becoming a Catholic let alone entering RL. Yes, I am a convert, though I wanted to become a Catholic since the age of three. :) 

My story is on the blog I write with EmilyAnn: The Vocation Operation

http://vocationoperation.blogspot.com 

If you haven't already figured it out, my family are not religious. I have an older brother who thought Christmas was a made up holiday and rejoiced at the day off work last year. My parents think it's some commercial cheat of some sort. It is very sad that even Christmas, the most celebrated festival, is the LEAST understood. 

With love and prayer, 
Kim-Therese x

Carla, I often think about the weddings & such I would miss in the cloister... But Marigold is right, what better reason is there? :blush: You can unite yourself to your loved ones in the Eucharist & in your prayers & hold them in your heart...

My younger brother was married, but he died two years ago. I would have called him nondenominational protestant. He had a "whatever floats your boat" sort of attitude toward my discernment. My younger sister is agnostic, but she is seeking God in her own way. She has a young child & really doesn't understand what I'm trying to do with my life... And yes, I'm a convert! ;)

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother i can not image how is to lose brother or sister.

About missing thinks of course that i thinking about this also.It is normal and of course a lot of thinks will miss me.But also i sure on my Vocation and my need to be there.I know  that God will help me in this transition from normal life to cloister.But i have open my heart and i trust him completely,i want to become his bride and spend life in this beautiful place for my soul.

Carla, I am so glad you are very active in the vocations groups. Thank you. I still remember when you first joined our Vocations Chat. It was such a blessing. :) Many prayers for your discernment as always. 

To be honest, it's a good idea to keep discernment quiet, even after you are accepted. Anything can happen between being accepted and entering, not to mention, a lot can happen before that too! By keeping your discernment quiet, and maybe only sharing with other discerners and in vocations groups with vocations directors/religious communities etc, you are more able to focus on discerning without the pressures of others trying to give you their own opinion on what they think about your life. This is one of those issues between you and God. 

When I told my family that I would be entering with Religious Sisters, they threw a fit and started accusing the Sisters of all sorts of things like trying to kidnap me and send me off somewhere etc. They went completely out of their mind. Nothing was sober about family life (they were not in the right state of mind, even though they were not drinking or on drugs). So, anyway, I'm doing a university degree and my vocation only strengthens by the day. I can notice the difference in my heart that my desire for the Religious Life is much stronger than it was, thank God. The Sisters know I still desire to enter, and sometime after I have worked for a little while after my degree, I will probably reapply for the Postulancy. Please keep me in prayer in the mean time as it can be difficult at times. My family still don't accept my faith decisions in becoming a Catholic let alone entering RL. Yes, I am a convert, though I wanted to become a Catholic since the age of three. :)

My story is on the blog I write with EmilyAnn: The Vocation Operation

http://vocationoperation.blogspot.com 

If you haven't already figured it out, my family are not religious. I have an older brother who thought Christmas was a made up holiday and rejoiced at the day off work last year. My parents think it's some commercial cheat of some sort. It is very sad that even Christmas, the most celebrated festival, is the LEAST understood. 

With love and prayer, 
Kim-Therese x

O yes we know our self now for some time.And i so glad because of this.You are amazing person and some day i know you will finish your discerning.I remember how hard has been for you in this process,and how it us hard to be in this without family support.I told you without my family support it will be much harder for me maybe even impossible.I will pray for you

• 2 months later...

With the permission of my sister i want to share with all of you that my sister will take first vows in October 4th with her Dominican order.his bring great joy and little sorrow in my heart.