An Old School Catholic Message Board

Olam Has A New Postulant

Feankie

If you go to the PCPA's Hanceville website (OLAM) and scroll to the bottom of the nun's section, you'll find a tiny box that says new photos or pictures, don't remember which. There you'll find a picture of their new Postulant with the other Postulant, Sister Judith, and the rest of the others. Since the populationoF OLAM has declined rapidly in the last few years, it's good to see another new vocation.

I know 2 of the younger solemnly professed nuns transferred to St. Joseph's Adoration Monastery in Charlotte.

It is lovely to see this Community attracting new vocations again with Judith and Sarah together in the Postulancy.

Sarah looked so joyful as she knelt at the entrance door.

No.  The nuns in Charlotte are not the blood sisters you refer to, Nikita.  I can't remember  their names right at this moment, but I'll try to look back at my old issues o Regina Angelorum (or whatever the old newsletter was called) and  see if I can find pictures of their professions.

It doesn't appear that there are many sisters left there, from the pictures on their website.  What in the world has happened there?  I think Mother Agelica would be saddened to see the diminished numbers.

It doesn't appear that there are many sisters left there, from the pictures on their website.  What in the world has happened there?  I think Mother Agelica would be saddened to see the diminished numbers.

Perhaps she would just remember that Jesus had only twelve disciples. :) Numbers aren't the most important thing.

This is one of the things that worries me when communities have a big Internet presence - if anything happens in the cloister, people start wondering about it and making guesses. It's not our business.

Prayers for the new postulant in her journey.

Perhaps she would just remember that Jesus had only twelve disciples. :) Numbers aren't the most important thing.

This is one of the things that worries me when communities have a big Internet presence - if anything happens in the cloister, people start wondering about it and making guesses. It's not our business.

Prayers for the new postulant in her journey.

I think also perhaps that if a community is in the limelight too much, there is a temptation to forget or to lose some of the spirituality of the community.  Through Mother Angelica, who became a media celebrity, her community also began to be thought of in terms of celebrity, and certainly, for a while, were far more visible than a cloistered community usually is.

But the fact remains, the community did have a strong internet presence and quite frankly as a result, became a thriving community.  They attracted a large number of supporters, both financially and prayerfully.  It's only natural that there would be concern for their future.  You must remember (or maybe you were not in-tune to their activities in the 90's), they were very visible on TV and the internet and were constantly reporting progress in the building of the monastery and the growth of the nun's community as well as the men's community.  All of the vestures were televised on EWTN at the morning Mass.  Mother was very verbal and open about the activities in the monastery on her evening telecasts.  It's only natural that there would be concern and yes, curiosity, when seeing such DRASTIC decline in numbers.  So in that regard, maybe it is "our business".

I agree with Antigonos. We have to remember that this is a cloistered community. I've been following them for almost 30 years watching many clothings professions to the point that you know every nun and sisters name, their blood sister, braces, illnesses etc. it was nice to see the nuns progress through their stages of formation and it was sad when one would pass on to their heavenly reward. It was kind of stunning to have it all yanked away from us, but they are cloistered and propably needed to refocus. More power to them and may the Lord bless and guide them.
South Carolina and Phoenix have also cut their visibility and Texas is almost invisible. Good for them!!

But the fact remains, the community did have a strong internet presence and quite frankly as a result, became a thriving community.  They attracted a large number of supporters, both financially and prayerfully.  It's only natural that there would be concern for their future.  You must remember (or maybe you were not in-tune to their activities in the 90's), they were very visible on TV and the internet and were constantly reporting progress in the building of the monastery and the growth of the nun's community as well as the men's community.  All of the vestures were televised on EWTN at the morning Mass.  Mother was very verbal and open about the activities in the monastery on her evening telecasts.  It's only natural that there would be concern and yes, curiosity, when seeing such DRASTIC decline in numbers.  So in that regard, maybe it is "our business".

But how does any of this make it our business?

Suppose I post photos from my sister's wedding on my blog, and write a beautiful description of the day, and readers send money for her or buy items from her wedding list. Then imagine that a few years later the family photos I post no longer feature my sister's husband. Do you think people would be justified in publicly gossiping about what may have happened, because they'd seen a detailed illustrated description of the wedding and bought gifts? We all have a right to privacy, and just because we might choose to post lots of photos and details on one occasion doesn't mean that we're obliged to keep on doing it forever. People change their minds about what they're comfortable sharing and we should respect that. Secondly, supporting a religious community financially isn't like buying a share in a company, where you have the right to know the company's business - it's not an investment. It's a gift, or it should be.

Communities have waxed and waned throughout history, no matter whether they had an Internet presence or not, no matter whether they were very famous or not. If women seriously interested in becoming a Poor Clare at OLAM are concerned about the dip in numbers, then that is definitely something to raise with the community during their visits. But it seems to be that the people who are most curious about OLAM aren't serious discerners there.

Finally, as I said, numbers aren't everything. I'm very aware of this because my secular institute (and several flourishing religious communities) were founded in the spirituality of a humble priest-monk who never attracted one single lasting companion in his lifetime, even though he hoped so much to found a community. Bl. Charles de Foucauld made a huge difference with his one solitary life and as Christians we should understand the power of one, so counting sisters and worrying because there aren't as many in such-and-such a monastery seems to be counterproductive. Yes, bigger numbers make better TV, but it's not about TV.

I just remember there was a time when they were so full it was impossible for them to take new members, including extern nuns. Cloistered nuns who have an Internet presence do sort play both sides of the fence. On one hand it's a valuable and inspiring window into a special vocation and does help engage people in wanting to support or even better, consider life there. On the other hand, when leadership changes and things happen private to the community, it's difficult for those rooting for (and enjoying!) the updates and growth of the community. There are some communities that do an excellent job in keeping this balance. Off the top of my head I would recommend the Carthusian website. There is just enough for the inquirer and those interested in their charism and life, but no personal information. I believe their model is an excellent one for cloistered communities to follow. And, yes, I am preparing to enter a Carthusian Charterhouse in Europe. I need to be fluent (probably by September?!) before I enter.