An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious And Wedding Rings

passerby

Hi all,

One of my friends attended a final vow ceremony and she said that the sisters got rings...but that they wore it on their right hand. Does anyone know why? Is it up to a community or could they choose to wear it on the left? I would have thought they'd wear it on the left hand because it was their wedding day. 

Thanks!

BJ

I don't know that there is any particular symbolism involved.  It is traditional in the US to wear one's wedding ring on the left hand, but Europeans commonly wear them on the right hand [I do too, but that's because it's more comfortable -- I'm left-handed]

If the order or community originated in Europe, it might just be the custom.

AveMariaPurissima

I remember hearing a Sister mention that her community wears their profession rings on the right hand to signify that it's a spiritual marriage.  Maybe that has something to do with it?

I think some do, but other keep to the right hand because they are European in origin (and I think even their ceremonials said to put it on the right hand).  Also, you get the orders that don't wear rings at all - like just about all Discalced Carmelites, their black veils is their symbol of final profession (Terre Haute seems to be an exception to this, they receive rings as well).  

Sister Leticia

In my congregation we generally follow the wedding ring custom of the country we're in, so for us in the UK that means wearing our profession rings on our left hand. However, we are free to choose, and some sisters have opted for their right hand for personal reasons. Likewise, some of our continental sisters (where wedding rings are worn on the right hand) have opted for their left hand.

But whichever finger we wear them on, our rings mean a great deal to us, just as they do to married women. When one of my sisters had an accident a few years ago and dislocated her ring finger, she pulled her ring off straightaway even though it hurt more to do so. She knew her finger was starting to swell, which meant her ring would have to be cut off her finger, and that would have been more painful in a different way.

In my congregation we generally follow the wedding ring custom of the country we're in, so for us in the UK that means wearing our profession rings on our left hand. However, we are free to choose, and some sisters have opted for their right hand for personal reasons. Likewise, some of our continental sisters (where wedding rings are worn on the right hand) have opted for their left hand.

Which is your community, Sister? :) It's nice to have UK religious on here.

Spem in alium

This is interesting. In my congregation, some Sisters wear their ring on their right hand, and others on their left. It could be a European custom, but I've seen it also in other communities in which all Sisters are Australian. Maybe it's also personal preference.

Which is your community, Sister? :) It's nice to have UK religious on here.

Dare I hope that Leticia Crucis has rejoined us???

IgnatiusofLoyola

Sure looks like it to me. :yahoo: Since she is signing on as a Noob she couldn't PM anyone.. I will send her an email right now to check. However, since it's Sunday, I may not hear back right away. Keep you posted.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Maybe, maybe not - the poster joined in July. Whoever she is: Hello Sister!

:(  I didn't even think to check the date this poster joined. Well, I sent an email to Laetitia Crucis anyway. She already knows I'm clueless, so at least she won't be surprised. :paperbag:

IgnatiusofLoyola

Okay, now I feel even more stupid (if that's possible). I closely checked the photos on the Web site of the Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph (the Community to which Laetitia Crucis/Sister Mary Catherine belongs). In most of the photos, the Sisters keep their hands under their scapulars, but based on two pictures, the perpetually professed Sisters in the Community wear their rings on their right hands.

BTW--The Summit Dominicans also wear their Solemn Profession rings on their right hands. It's been a busy time for the Summit Dominicans, but I hope Sister Mary Catharine has time to see this thread and answer the question for her Community.

My former community also wears the ring on the right hand. They said they did so as a way to show they are "counter-cultural" (as the cultural custom in the USA is to wear it on the left hand) and are not "of the world," that they are not married in an earthly, worldly sense, but in a spiritual one.

TheresaThoma

Good to see you back around here vee.

That is interesting about the rings. I had never really noticed that.