An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious And Wedding Rings

passerby

Orthodox customarily wear wedding rings on the right because of the scriptural symbolism of the right hand. I've seen quite a lot of people in English-speaking countries wear them on the left though, presumably to fit in with the culture.

Our monks and nuns don't wear rings - I think because there is a lot more emphasis on remaining unmarried for Christ. It's a sacrifice. Anyway this is a really interesting discussion!

This is very interesting!

I guess I'm still very new with all these things...I don't understand why the right hand would signify a spiritual marriage.

Sister Leticia

Oh dear, I seem to have raised all sorts of hopes without knowing I was doing so! My apologies, but I'm not your friend Laetitia Crucis. You all seem very fond of her, and I'm sure she was delighted to receive Ignatius' email and know how pleased you were when you thought she was here. So it's a kind of happy fault all round!

Thank you for the welcome. I've been lurking and reading for quite a while: I noticed that sometimes religious would answer questions or comment from their own experience, so I eventually ventured into dipping my toe in the Phatmass water and adding my own comments here and there. But I still feel very much like a newbie, especially as the link to the guidelines is broken. One of the confusing things is all these designations. I get that I'm a lurker and a noob = newbie, AND seeking attention - presumably if I hang around long enough or comment x number of times (and behave myself, of course!!) I'll magically graduate to the next level? Does everything change or just one thing or what? One of you commented that as I'm a noob I can't PM. Are there other things I can't do as well?

Sorry if I'm hijacking a thread about rings. Maybe the guidelines will come back, or it's all somewhere else which should have been obvious to me - in which case, please feel free to point it out!

Thanks and God bless

IgnatiusofLoyola

Oh dear, I seem to have raised all sorts of hopes without knowing I was doing so! My apologies, but I'm not your friend Laetitia Crucis. You all seem very fond of her, and I'm sure she was delighted to receive Ignatius' email and know how pleased you were when you thought she was here. So it's a kind of happy fault all round!

Thank you for the welcome. I've been lurking and reading for quite a while: I noticed that sometimes religious would answer questions or comment from their own experience, so I eventually ventured into dipping my toe in the Phatmass water and adding my own comments here and there. But I still feel very much like a newbie, especially as the link to the guidelines is broken. One of the confusing things is all these designations. I get that I'm a lurker and a noob = newbie, AND seeking attention - presumably if I hang around long enough or comment x number of times (and behave myself, of course!!) I'll magically graduate to the next level? Does everything change or just one thing or what? One of you commented that as I'm a noob I can't PM. Are there other things I can't do as well?

Sorry if I'm hijacking a thread about rings. Maybe the guidelines will come back, or it's all somewhere else which should have been obvious to me - in which case, please feel free to point it out!

Thanks and God bless

I hope all of you will forgive me if I go off-topic for one post in order to welcome Sister Leticia and answer some of her questions since she can't send or receive Personal Messages yet.

Don't feel bad that you are not Laetitia Crucis. We welcome all new posters to Vocation Station, especially Religious.

The link to the Guidelines is broken for me, too--it's not just you. The Help function answers some of your questions, but I couldn't find answers to some of your specific questions regarding Status, Levels, etc.

Don't take titles like "Noob" or "Seeking Attention" seriously. As you make more posts, and as more people "Like" your posts, you will automatically progress to higher levels.

I don't know how many posts you need to get this (it's in the Guidelines that aren't working now), but eventually you will be given the ability to send PMs--Personal Messages, that is, private messages to other Phatmass members.

If you ever feel comfortable telling us what Community you belong to, we would love to know. Feel free to use Phatmass to link to your Community's Web page (if it has one). If you don't feel comfortable telling us, that's okay, too.

In the meantime, enjoy!

And call me Iggy. Everyone else does!

End of Off-Topic post.

Adaly Rosado Jr

Hi,

from the point of view of a priest some priests wear a wedding ring.  Most of us don't.  I think the idea is to remind oneself of their commitment to God.  I prefer not to wear rings in general.  I have not seen rules one way or another.  For a religious community, it is possible for them to have such a rule regarding rings as the one mentioned in this topic.

Sister Leticia

Thank you for your welcome! I've been meaning to write something for a few days now, now that it looks as though nobody else is commenting on rings, so this won't take us off-topic again.

Iggy - when I apologised for not being Laetitia Crucis I was just being terribly British - we're famous for saying sorry, even when the other person has bumped into us! But I did feel a bit sorry for you and the others, because you all seemed so excited that your friend had come back. Thanks too for the info about the forum. I'm not too bothered what I'm called, whether I'm a lurker or seeking attention or what, but it would be helpful to know what I can and can't do and what I can aspire to!

In response to questions about my congregation: I belong to the Society of the Sacred Heart, an international apostolic contemplative order which is also part of the Ignatian family. So when I comment or answer questions, that's the perspective I bring to the discussion - that, and almost 25 years experience of seeking God, struggling, learning and growing in prayer and commitment.

Having said that, I probably won't have time to do more than quickly read a few threads and only comment on the occasional one! But be assured, even if I'm not commenting, I am and will be praying for all of you - not only when people specifically ask for prayers. I can at least do that.

Hi,

from the point of view of a priest some priests wear a wedding ring.  Most of us don't.  I think the idea is to remind oneself of their commitment to God.  I prefer not to wear rings in general.  I have not seen rules one way or another.  For a religious community, it is possible for them to have such a rule regarding rings as the one mentioned in this topic.

I've been to a few different dioceses in the US and I found the practice with priests was highly regional. In some dioceses only a few wore rings, in others pretty much all of them wore rings. I know in one diocese the priests were encouraged to wear rings but it wasn't a hard and fast rule.

My guess is that they would be simple bands...nothing flashy. Are there sisters on here who could share what their community does? Does anyone else have any guesses or knowledge?

IgnatiusofLoyola

Thank-you! And, welcome!!!

I think I can speak for others that we hope we hear from you again. At Vocation Station we are especially glad when those who are currently in Religious Life post here. You help us so much!

The help that current Religious give both to current discerners and those who are consdering Religious Life, but not yet in discernment, is far more than may appear on the surface. If you read VS, you will see many of the same names posting relgularly. However, almost every time I log into VS, I notice that there usually more lots of "Guests"--people who visit Phatmass and Vocation Station but don't feel comfortable posting yet. In fact there are usually more Guests than members. (Most of us who DO post spent some time simply reading posts on Phatmass before we felt comfortable enough to post--we were once Guests ourselves.) So your posts reach a wide audience.

If nothing else, we'd love to hear about any discernment retreats or "come and see" events that your Community offers.

Once again, welcome!

The Handmaids of the Precious Blood have a unique ring: two hearts surrounding a chalice. 

the-ring.jpg

Although a lot of communities will wear simple bands, there are many others that have special and symbolic meanings or engravings. 

Edited by truthfinder

AveMariaPurissima

If I recall correctly, the profession rings used in my former community had "My Beloved is mine, and I am His" engraved on them. :heart: