An Old School Catholic Message Board

Here Is A Thread Noone Who Isn't A Mediator Of Meh Can Comment On

PhuturePriest

I think you're reading what you're inclined to read. Granted, I could be doing the same, but I in no way saw him blame women for this. He says the Liturgy has become too feminized, but that doesn't mean women did it, it means men feminized it in the hopes of making it more accessible to everyone. You can disagree with that, but that's what he said. He doesn't blame women, and he doesn't say they are the problem.

Just to be clear, this is the part of the post I was propping. 

God is no more a man than a woman. Nether can truly ascribed to the Almighty and we should understand that describing God as 'The Father' is only true in a metaphorical sense. 

Whoops, you're actually right on this one, mostly. Analogical rather than metaphorical, but other than that, swing and a miss sparky. 

Either your reading comprehension is reprehensible or you're purposefully obtuse. Either way: it's unbecoming.

Burke sites feminism time and time again for being the primary reason the Church finds itself in crisis today. He constantly emphasizes that men have been forsaken in favor of women and that is why the Church is in ruin. He constantly points to the feelings and faith of men as lacking because of a focus on women.

And as someone has already pointed out, why are we assigning the Mass a gender? It's been said at least oncee (and propped at least thrice) that PEOPLE are more attracted to a REVERENT Mass -- not a "masculine" or "feminine" Mass. Hearts ablaze with love of the Lord and a profound outward respect and reverence for Him is what draws souls in, not chest hair and musk.

Perhaps men feel threatened / lack interest / have fallen away over time because we refer to the Church with a female pronoun. Sounds ridiculous, right? That's because it is.

If men are falling away because something isn't degrading and detrimental to women, that's ridiculous. Ultimately it's their choice to leave the Holy Mother Church or not, but that culpability does not fall squarely in the laps of women -- who, as it's been pointed out, have not / do not / will not be the hierarchy of the Church.

The PRIMARY problem in our Church today (or the problem which led to the state of our Church today -- including men AND women) is poor or total lack of catechesis. END OF STORY.

This is not Eve's fault. But nice try, Adam.

You know, there's a better way of saying all that. I think you're over-reading the text, and by the way, my reading comprehension is just fine. 

Not The Philosopher

So far I think Lilllabettt has made the most measured response to all this.

Burke's manner of speaking can sometimes be a bit much, but I don't think he's the insensitive troglodyte that people often like to paint him as.

Burke's manner of speaking can sometimes be a bit much, but I don't think he's the insensitive troglodyte that people often like to paint him as.

He sounds like what he is, a cleric. I don't think anyone looks to clerics to really say anything interesting, but to say the "right" things. If you want interesting, you have to look to saints and poets.

ChristianGirlForever

Thank you for posting this, FuturePriest. I think Cardinal Burke made a lot of sense, and I'm very glad that he spoke out about these issues.

So....with the knowledge that the only effect the OP would have is drama, you made this thread simply for the sake of being able to say, "I agree"?

See there is an art to trolling and starting drama, the first rule is to not be so obvious about it by revealing your intent.

And what is your problem with old virgins?  Or do you equate being a "real man" with being immoral and promiscuous? 

. . . not to mention doing manly "real work" for a living like begging for money for left-wing politicians and organizations, and spending all one's free time engaged in rugged he-man pursuits like insulting other people behind the anonymous security of one's laptop.

Okay, enough feeding the troll.

I was hoping for something funnier from a seasoned and talented troll. Alas, we can't have everything in life.

Yeah, at least Budge was entertaining sometimes.

(The old-timers on here will know who I'm talking about.)

Apparently the forum guidelines don't exist anymore, but if they did I'd drop the link here for you, because I think this is out of line. 

Yeah, he should know by now the unwritten rules of phat-arse:

Personal insults against the Catholic hierarchy (particularly orthodox members), or against the Catholic/Christian Faith = GOOD

Speaking against anti-Catholic trolls = BAD

Because being politically correct is just cooler than hell.

Thank you for posting this, FuturePriest. I think Cardinal Burke made a lot of sense, and I'm very glad that he spoke out about these issues.

Obviously, you hate women.

Yeah, nothing takes more balls than posting shyte on teh interwebz. It makes us all practically war heroes.

Soc,
You sound more bitter thAn week old coffee. We need sit down and drink some t-e-a.