An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Liturgies

Gabriela

These nuns also seem to build up several extra sisters when they are preparing to make a new foundation.  I think they had 33 at one point before Elysburg was founded.  Chiqui, you stated that when Elysburg was founded, they were all nuns who had been professed several years: do you mean finally professed, or temporary? I'm asking because I'm positive there were several white veils, but I may be mistaken.  Also, I believe the Constitutions allows for 24 nuns if a new foundation is being prepared (at least that what I was told when I visited a newly built convent a few years back.)

These nuns also seem to build up several extra sisters when they are preparing to make a new foundation.  I think they had 33 at one point before Elysburg was founded.  Chiqui, you stated that when Elysburg was founded, they were all nuns who had been professed several years: do you mean finally professed, or temporary? I'm asking because I'm positive there were several white veils, but I may be mistaken.  Also, I believe the Constitutions allows for 24 nuns if a new foundation is being prepared (at least that what I was told when I visited a newly built convent a few years back.)

Oh, yes, there were definitely Novices/First Professed (not sure how many of each) and also a postulant as part of the founding group at Elysburg, https://www.flickr.com/photos/28378419@N03/3885366205/in/set-72157622233735714/

I was saying there that to both Elysburg and Kensington, nuns (Solemn Professed of many years) who had been with them since Cristo Rey (which they left in 1988) were sent, but not only them. Also newly Solemn Professed nuns as well. But I know each Carmel has at least a couple nuns who have been professed for a long time.

I believe the requirement for a new foundation is that five Solemn Professed have to go. That is the number I seem to always see in new OCD nuns' foundations, including from years past like pictures of the founding members in that Carmel in the United States book. And there are usually white veils with them, and I have seen postulants as well. 

It looks like Traverse City was founded with just two black veils, https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmelOfTheInfantJesusOfPragueTraverseCityMI#5055937820225624978  But then a couple of those white veils are probably/may be final professed Lay Sisters. They were founded from Grand Rapids, where there were a lot of vocations, and they made several foundations. So Valparaiso is like them today.

That is interesting to hear about 24 nuns allowed if a new foundation is being planned. I wonder if maybe that number is in the new Constitutions, because I cannot find it in the old ones.

Edited by Chiquitunga

Thanks Chiqui, you confirmed a lot of what I was thinking.  And yes, the 24 nuns would be 1991 constitutions (that's what that community follows). 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

5 solemnly professed is canon law. We have to have a minimum of 5 solemnly professed but to be an autonomous monastery there must be 9 and that number of nuns has to be maintained for at least 10 years.

A Dominican monastery takes more nuns to function due to our manner of government and liturgical life.