An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Liturgical Music

marigold

Which is, I guess, what I was getting at when I asked if there is any liturgical music that's not in Latin but still very theologically rich and sound?

Which is, I guess, what I was getting at when I asked if there is any liturgical music that's not in Latin but still very theologically rich and sound?

The Simple English Propers are quite good.

The Simple English Propers are quite good.

They actually are! I've been listening to them for the past couple of days. Thanks for introducing me!

MarysLittleFlower

Most old hymns in English (the ones I know) tend to be pretty good, and they are about God or Our Lady not us :). I think what bothers me about some modern hymns is that they are not only about our response to God (which could work even if it days 'i') but they tend to have a 'horizontal' approach about us gathering, etc, when the number 1 thing for me about the Mass is God being there and the Sacrifice. If we came to Calvary we wouldn't be thinking so much of ourselves IMO... Maybe this emphasis comes from people forgetting the Sacrifice aspect of the Mass. Of course it is other things too and God does want to draw everyone to Him, I'd just rather concentrate on the Blessed Sacrament when I come into the Church and sing something to Him... Just my perspective!

Most old hymns in English (the ones I know) tend to be pretty good, and they are about God or Our Lady not us :). I think what bothers me about some modern hymns is that they are not only about our response to God (which could work even if it days 'i') but they tend to have a 'horizontal' approach about us gathering, etc, when the number 1 thing for me about the Mass is God being there and the Sacrifice. If we came to Calvary we wouldn't be thinking so much of ourselves IMO... Maybe this emphasis comes from people forgetting the Sacrifice aspect of the Mass. Of course it is other things too and God does want to draw everyone to Him, I'd just rather concentrate on the Blessed Sacrament when I come into the Church and sing something to Him... Just my perspective!

Got it in one - that's the feeling I've been trying to articulate!

Edited by marigold

Iudica_Me_Deus

I live in CA so the local parish is quite ummm not so traddie. You'll hear the typical OCP hymns - Here I am Lord, I Am the Bread of Life, Pan de Vida, All are Welcome, etc... lol... But I sing for the TLM 40 mins away from where I live. :)

This one isn't bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1drtim65OA0

Most of these hymns sound like Christmas carols to me! I guess because Christmas carols/hymns are the only western liturgical music I'm really familiar with. It's an odd feeling...