veritasluxmea Posted February 15, 2015 Posted February 15, 2015 Ohhhhhh Swedes and alcohol. Its a messy business. All of their liquor stores are owned by the government so there used to be (and still are) some insane laws associated with this sale and consumption. and that's why I wouldn't want to be a Swede. Funny enough some people in my family have Swiss citizenship and my grandma speaks it. She moved to the US when she was an adult or something. My dad's talked about going on a family visit to Sweden to visit some graves and relatives but I'm not that interested in Sweden lol.
Amppax Posted February 15, 2015 Posted February 15, 2015 Liquor stores close at 3pm?? Nope, nope, nope. I can't do that.
veritasluxmea Posted February 15, 2015 Posted February 15, 2015 and that's why I wouldn't want to be a Swede. Funny enough some people in my family have Swiss citizenship and my grandma speaks it. She moved to the US when she was an adult or something. My dad's talked about going on a family visit to Sweden to visit some graves and relatives but I'm not that interested in Sweden lol. wait I got Switzerland and Sweden confused
marigold Posted February 15, 2015 Posted February 15, 2015 Is it Scandinavian that has a synthetic passive? Because when I learnt that my mind melted a bit. *whispers* what does that mean??
veritasluxmea Posted February 15, 2015 Posted February 15, 2015 wait I got Switzerland and Sweden confused I apologize to all people of Switzerland and Sweden for confusing your cultures and way of life. I am a piece of white American trash. My family is ashamed.
Amppax Posted February 16, 2015 Posted February 16, 2015 wait I got Switzerland and Sweden confused My point has been made.
Amppax Posted February 16, 2015 Posted February 16, 2015 (edited) I apologize to all people of Switzerland and Sweden for confusing your cultures and way of life. I am a piece of white American trash. My family is ashamed. What language does she speak? Swiss usually speak either French, Italian, or German. There's also Romansch, but not many people speak that natively. Edited February 16, 2015 by Amppax
franciscanheart Posted February 16, 2015 Author Posted February 16, 2015 *whispers* what does that mean?? :idontknow:
CrossCuT Posted February 16, 2015 Posted February 16, 2015 wait I got Switzerland and Sweden confused I apologize to all people of Switzerland and Sweden for confusing your cultures and way of life. I am a piece of white American trash. My family is ashamed. Im not completely sure how irritated the Swedes or Swiss would get from that haha, but at least you didnt lump Swedes the Fins together! Even though they are right next to each other I think they enjoy having a but of distinction! :hehe2:
puellapaschalis Posted February 16, 2015 Posted February 16, 2015 *whispers* what does that mean?? Expressing the passive by some kind of ending or other bit in the verb itself, rather than using an extra word altogether. I'd been taught that whilst it was possibly in proto-Germanic, and was certainly in Gothic (and perhaps other East Germanic langs), it hadn't survived in the other daughter groups.
TeeCee Posted February 16, 2015 Posted February 16, 2015 My only contribution to this thread is Uff Da :) :) :)
Ash Wednesday Posted February 16, 2015 Posted February 16, 2015 CrossCut, are you going to be studying in Sweden?
CrossCuT Posted February 16, 2015 Posted February 16, 2015 CrossCut, are you going to be studying in Sweden? No, but I plan to move there in the next 3 years or so. Im finishing school here, getting married, then we plan to move to Sweden and start a family. We are planning an elopement/honeymoon in Sweden for the summer of 2016 though!
veritasluxmea Posted February 17, 2015 Posted February 17, 2015 What language does she speak? Swiss usually speak either French, Italian, or German. There's also Romansch, but not many people speak that natively. French, I know that much. She was a military translator and spoke some other languages fluently, but French is native to her. My grandma is cool.
veritasluxmea Posted February 17, 2015 Posted February 17, 2015 What language does she speak? Swiss usually speak either French, Italian, or German. There's also Romansch, but not many people speak that natively. French, I know that much. She was a military translator and spoke some other languages fluently, but French is native to her. My grandma is cool.
CrossCuT Posted February 17, 2015 Posted February 17, 2015 The semla has been popping up all over my FB from my Swedish pages this morning!! I guess fat tuesday for Swedes specifically means you eat a lot of these! YUM!
Amppax Posted February 17, 2015 Posted February 17, 2015 To further derail this thread, a fun fact about Switzerland. Romansch, the national language of Switzerland, is also the 11th most common language in Switzerland, having between 60,000 regular speakers, and 30,000 who consider it the language they speak best. It's mainly spoken in only one canton, Grisons. Only .9% of Switzerland's 7.7 million people speak the language, making it the least spoken national language.
marigold Posted February 17, 2015 Posted February 17, 2015 The semla has been popping up all over my FB from my Swedish pages this morning!! I guess fat tuesday for Swedes specifically means you eat a lot of these! YUM! Ja, a ton of those all over my life right now :) Semlor are the equivalent of pancakes or whatever food your country customarily makes to use up milk, butter etc. before Lent. They are a sweet cardamom bun filled with almond paste and topped with whipped cream and confectioner's sugar. Drool...
Socrates Posted February 18, 2015 Posted February 18, 2015 [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaNewoyc8fU[/media]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now