An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lay People With Pectoral Cross? Annoying?

oratefratres

This annoys me so much. Is there any rule against it?

Seems mostly EMHCs who wear them, and self important laypeople.

Only a bishop should be allowed surely.

I recieved the ashes from a lay EMHC today. He worse a pectoral cross and I thought he was a priest or bishop. But turned out he was EMHC. He did not even use the right words. He said "Be filled with the Holy Spirit" or some such innovation

Do YOU wear a pectoral cross? Why??

Ash Wednesday

Growing up, I never knew that wasn't the norm, unless you mean something different than the so-called "liturgical pendants." My mom was a lector and my dad was an EMHC. They had crosses as I'm understanding them as something they give you to wear during the mass, not so much anything that they asked for voluntarily, it was "those 70s doo dads you wore around your neck when it was your turn to serve" and directed by the parish liturgist in charge, I guess.

61oSvZWlUJL._SY355_.jpg

My dad often forgot to take his off and hilarity would ensue when he realized he still had it on during the drive home.

PhuturePriest

I wear a crucifix every single day. Not sure if it counts as a "pectoral cross", but I do wear it everywhere I go. Why? As a means of evangelization. You have no idea how many people I've had the opportunity to talk to about the faith that I wouldn't have otherwise simply because they said "Oh, that's a nice crucifix you're wearing!" I get to evangelize to others, and remind myself constantly of my behavior. Wearing my crucifix has on a few occasions stopped myself from doing several things in public, because I think "I wouldn't want anyone to see me doing this while wearing my crucifix."

This is what it looks like, if you're interested:

10916342_891770684177105_790133834321578

Like this - very large, ostentatious ones worn over the upper stomach

why does a layperson have to wear this?

Edited by oratefratres

Honestly I'm not sure. I know at my parish they have to wooden crosses for the Eucharistic Ministers. It is an easy way to see if they have enough EMHCs for that Mass. (If one of the EMHCs would like to serve at that Mass they take one of the crosses before Mass, I think they are even color coded for cup vs host. 

But something like the pic above no I have not seen any lay person in or outside of Mass wearing something like that.

Alberto Guimaraes

Peace ando Good!

As a franciscan, sometimes I use a TAU cross on the chest.

Blessings and a happy Lent!

Br. Alberto Guimaraes OFS

Braga - Portugal

Yes. The "pectoral cross" definitely makes me twitch but only because I racistly, sexistly stereotype such people as Churchy McChurch People.

As in look at me, I am wearing this cross that is 3x larger so you can't miss it. Ask me about My Ministry.

Or I get confused and think they are non habited religious and that is their order's "thing" instead of a pin.

Just avoid the EMHC during Holy Mass. Stand in line for the priest, not for the EMHC. 

There should only be EHMCs in - nomen est omen - extraordinary circumstances, e.g. the celebrating priest is too old to properly distribute. 

In 99,99% of the cases EMHCs are unnecessary and a nuisance, considering that only consecrated hands should touch the Host. 

Yes. The "pectoral cross" definitely makes me twitch but only because I racistly, sexistly stereotype such people as Churchy McChurch People.

As in look at me, I am wearing this cross that is 3x larger so you can't miss it. Ask me about My Ministry.

Or I get confused and think they are non habited religious and that is their order's "thing" instead of a pin.

Yes this is exactly what I mean - both of your reasons. Ministry is something you do out of love, not for bragging rights. and yes, I also mistake them for ordained or religious persons

Just avoid the EMHC during Holy Mass. Stand in line for the priest, not for the EMHC. 

There should only be EHMCs in - nomen est omen - extraordinary circumstances, e.g. the celebrating priest is too old to properly distribute. 

In 99,99% of the cases EMHCs are unnecessary and a nuisance, considering that only consecrated hands should touch the Host. 

the problem is, if you have a layman in a black suit with a white shirt but a giant pectoral cross, and a priest also dressed in a black suit without a corss,it is hard to tell who the EMHCs are. we should offer penance for all those involved in making EMHCs into a 'role' to keep laypeople busy. Kyrie eleison

the problem is, if you have a layman in a black suit with a white shirt but a giant pectoral cross, and a priest also dressed in a black suit without a corss,it is hard to tell who the EMHCs are.

I know what you mean!

I can't tell you how many times I went up to receive and I ended up smack in front of the usher... he had to direct me properly.  I said, "I want the priest not some nuisance of an EMHC"... To mess with me, he told me it was the line on the left... to which I exclaimed.. your left or my left?!?!?

darn you people and your unauthorized use of pectoral crosses giving horrible directions!!!!

the problem is, if you have a layman in a black suit with a white shirt but a giant pectoral cross, and a priest also dressed in a black suit without a corss,it is hard to tell who the EMHCs are. we should offer penance for all those involved in making EMHCs into a 'role' to keep laypeople busy. Kyrie eleison

Why should you even attend this Mass? The priest obviously fails/refuses to wear anything identifying him as a priest, which is in violation of canon law (and of common sense). Such priests are usually Modernists and should be avoided. 

So the solution is simple: go to Masses where God is worshipped or stay at home (and pray the rosary and read the missal). 

Oremus Pro Invicem

Why should you even attend this Mass? The priest obviously fails/refuses to wear anything identifying him as a priest, which is in violation of canon law (and of common sense). Such priests are usually Modernists and should be avoided.

So the solution is simple: go to Masses where God is worshipped or stay at home (and pray the rosary and read the missal).

If this is a Sunday Mass or Holy Day of obligation, from what I know, not attending because something does not meet your liturgical preferences, is not considered a valid reason to miss Mass.

Why a priest would not wear vestments when celebrating mass is beyond me. Edited by Oremus Pro Invicem

If this is a Sunday Mass or Holy Day of obligation, from what I know, not attending because something does not meet your liturgical preferences, is not considered a valid reason to miss Mass.

That depends. When I stay with my in-laws, there's a local Mass in which the preaching deacon spreads obvious heresy and the celebrating priests tortures liturgy up to a point where you can reasonably doubt validity. Back when I didn't have the means to attend Mass elsewhere, my spiritual director gave me dispensation for weekends at my in-laws, allowing me to read the Missal instead of attending Mass.