An Old School Catholic Message Board

Father Isaac Mary Relyea

Catlick

truthfinder

Well the missionary's certainly put up with having to sleep in communal areas with families...

The other concern, particularly at the time, was infanticide - purposely suffocating the child and calling it an accident.

The more I read about this fellow the more horrified I am. 

- 3 strikes and you're out. Not a Catholic belief

- condemns women's sports and dancing and nursing homes. It's apparently a sin to put your dangerously senile (to themselves and others) parent in a memory care facility. Or to play women's lacrosse etc because it will make girls infertile (as an actual infertile woman... Lol). Ginger Rogers is in hell.

- hell is at the center of the earth and if you dig deep enough you can hear the cries of the damned  

Also heavy reliance on private revelation. Big red flag.

he seems to be a bit of a lone wolf like Fr Corapi was. He left his religious order because they wouldn't let him celebrate only the Latin Mass. He seems to be somehow associated with the FSSP, except he is NOT a member of the fraternity. I read he had "permission" to start missionary activity... Permission from who?? Another red flag. The sign of an authentically holy priest is his willingness to submit to authority. 

I urge traditionalists (of which I once considered myself) to avoid searching for preachers who are going to tell you what you want to hear/already believe. Instead look for preaching that will challenge you. A lot of what Fr is preaching is bizarre, quirky "conservativish" things that have nothing to do with the Catholic faith. 

I am still going to try to find the other quotes but time has been short recently. I feel 99% of what he says is spot on and truly what a breath of fresh air he is compared to a lot of anemic sermons we hear nowadays. I do feel we should always strive to err of the side of caution when it comes to avoiding eternal damnation - I just don't want people to despair like my husband briefly did when he heard him preach....

I urge traditionalists (of which I once considered myself) to avoid searching for preachers who are going to tell you what you want to hear/already believe. Instead look for preaching that will challenge you.

​Do you have any recommendations? 

I am still going to try to find the other quotes but time has been short recently. I feel 99% of what he says is spot on and truly what a breath of fresh air he is compared to a lot of anemic sermons we hear nowadays. I do feel we should always strive to err of the side of caution when it comes to avoiding eternal damnation - I just don't want people to despair like my husband briefly did when he heard him preach....

This type of stuff drives Christians away from Catholicism. Sure hell should be preached and Christians should know it's possible to go there. But there is tons of scripture that gives us confidence in knowing God is going to save us if we love him and repent. A million different mortal sins and being told it's three strikes and you're out is a false gospel. Sorry but there's no way around this. I don't care how good the other stuff he preaches is. God's gift of salvation is not something that is earned by being perfect. Yea we should strive to be perfect just as our Father in heaven is. Although when we fall God is there to pick us up and forgive. More then three times thankfully. Guys like this that try to restrict God's grace and mercy should be avoided at all cost.

MarysLittleFlower

These statements were all from the sermon published on youtube 3-13-14 titled "4 last things - Fr. Isaac Mary Relyea"

"It is a mortal sin for a parent to let your child sleep in your bed or for two of your children to sleep in the same bed"....

I'm going to try to find the others later today.

​he probably means it's grave matter... I have no authority to speak on this but - it could be for reasons of modesty. Maybe a Saint said this and Fr Isaac repeated it. I'm not going to argue with it... I mean - he could be right in terms of it being immodest. I think it could be. He means bed though, not room - for example two sisters can share a room, - a brother and sister sharing a bed could be immodest.

I'm wondering about the other quote about forgiveness... if you can find it... that would help a lot :)

MarysLittleFlower

Well that sounds like he's been reading too much of St. Jean Vianney...

​too much? can't be such a thing :D  I personally agree with St John Vianney on things...

MarysLittleFlower

​Peace be with you Basilisa Marie,

Yes, I agree with you and I personally accept the consensus of theologians that God can act outside of the sacraments, but my point was only to make folly of those who rashly dismiss limbo infantum because it's not dogma. It is however dogmatically defined that persons dying solely with original sin are deprived of the Beatific vision, and although unbaptized infants are not explicitly mentioned they do fit this category. Historically speaking, this has been the view of the Fathers and schoolmen, despite debate on the exact nature of there state there is pretty much agreement on that it involves deprivation of the beatific vision. If there are Fathers or theologians that have proposed heaven as a possibility, I would be eager to learn about them. 

​Ark,

I'm trying to learn more about this topic. It seems like baptism is necessary but there can also be baptism of blood and baptism of desire or invincible ignorance? is that traditional? anyway - I'm trying to figure out what the Church says about unbaptized babies. I read some quote from a council that gives an anathema for saying there's a "mansion" in Heaven for people without baptism like the babies and mentions them explicitly... is that so? have you heard of it? so the alternative would be limbo I guess which is not technically in Heaven since no Beatific Vision, but no suffering either. I wonder what would happen to them after the Resurrection of the dead - no idea. But how do we understand modern Catholic opinion among theologians that the babies go to Heaven, with that quote from the council? I'm just wondering if you ever came across this in research. If not that's okay. I read there are ways for unbaptized people to "get baptized" through baptism of blood/desire but it's more complicated to figure out what the teaching about babies is. Here's the relevant quote from Council of Carthage: http://www.fisheaters.com/forums/index.php?topic=826720.0 

MarysLittleFlower

The more I read about this fellow the more horrified I am. 

- 3 strikes and you're out. Not a Catholic belief

- condemns women's sports and dancing and nursing homes. It's apparently a sin to put your dangerously senile (to themselves and others) parent in a memory care facility. Or to play women's lacrosse etc because it will make girls infertile (as an actual infertile woman... Lol). Ginger Rogers is in hell.

- hell is at the center of the earth and if you dig deep enough you can hear the cries of the damned  

Also heavy reliance on private revelation. Big red flag.

he seems to be a bit of a lone wolf like Fr Corapi was. He left his religious order because they wouldn't let him celebrate only the Latin Mass. He seems to be somehow associated with the FSSP, except he is NOT a member of the fraternity. I read he had "permission" to start missionary activity... Permission from who?? Another red flag. The sign of an authentically holy priest is his willingness to submit to authority. 

I urge traditionalists (of which I once considered myself) to avoid searching for preachers who are going to tell you what you want to hear/already believe. Instead look for preaching that will challenge you. A lot of what Fr is preaching is bizarre, quirky "conservativish" things that have nothing to do with the Catholic faith. 

​the only one I'm wondering about is the first point... did he really say that and what did he mean?

the reason I'm not bothered by the others is because I tend to agree with St John Vianney on dances and a Pope who said that sports like gymnastics can be immodest. (I'm thinking clothing but also postures). Yup I know that's not popular to think but that's what I came to believe. I don't know for sure what he means about nursing homes but maybe he means those people who just abandon their relatives and forget about them? About hell, Saints talked about it being spiritual but having a real fire, which also affects the soul - I think St Alphonsus or someone mentioned that, anyway it's not against tradition to think of some sort of real fire. That's probably what he was referring to. I also don't see anything wrong with approved private revelation, St Louis de Montfort said it's more simple to believe everything the Church has approved :)

Anyways I'm just saying this because I think it's likely that this is a holy priest and I'm not just saying that because I'm traditional and he's traditional. Maybe some points are just not popular today or maybe he meant them in a particular context. But I'm wondering about the first point because I've never heard that before and I was told we can be forgiven as long as we're repentant, - and I thought if there's a "limit" it implies unrepentance? (such coldness of heart that you stop responding).

From the talk I referenced previously:

Regarding confession of habitual sins "after the third time, absolutions are no longer valid"

Also when I listened the second time he said "a mother's place is at home with her children" but did not actually label it as a mortal sin for a mother to work outside the home.

BarbTherese

10 hours ago, Andrea said:      "Regarding confession of habitual sins "after the third time, absolutions are no longer valid"

Heresy?

truthfinder

Heresy?

​At face-value? Yes. In thinking of the most charitable way this sort of answer might come about, he might be referencing those who commit mortal sins, confess, but have no intention of reforming - not typically something that is seen amongst the face majority who confess these days.  It may have been relevant in days past when everyone was supposed to go to confession every week (or whatever).  Confessing mortal sins without the intention of amendment (ie: I'll confess, but I won't change) would be sacrilege and would render the confession useless.