An Old School Catholic Message Board

Father Isaac Mary Relyea

Catlick

BarbTherese

Confessing with no intention of reforming - first time OUT..........no three times then OUT.  Father Isaac's guilt or lack of it aside, it would be a heretical belief to hold that after confessing the sin for the third time, "absolution would be invalid."  This is not to state that those Catholics who might very wrongly hold to that belief are culpable of heresy per se.

Father Isaac was born post Vatican II and ordained Deacon in 1999 according to my research.

About 33 minutes into the "Judgment" section of his presentation, Fr goes on a rant about the movie "The Nativity" that came out awhile ago. Another priest led a parish group that went to the theatre to view the film. Fr says he told this priest by leading the little ones astray by viewing this blasphemous Christmas movie, he (the priest) would get a millstone around his neck, i.e. Go to hell. 

I mean I don't want to pile on. But I don't think God will be sending anyone to Hell for viewing the theologically inaccurate but basically harmless "Nativity" movie. 

MarysLittleFlower

About 33 minutes into the "Judgment" section of his presentation, Fr goes on a rant about the movie "The Nativity" that came out awhile ago. Another priest led a parish group that went to the theatre to view the film. Fr says he told this priest by leading the little ones astray by viewing this blasphemous Christmas movie, he (the priest) would get a millstone around his neck, i.e. Go to hell. 

I mean I don't want to pile on. But I don't think God will be sending anyone to Hell for viewing the theologically inaccurate but basically harmless "Nativity" movie. 

Leading kids astray is bad but I'd rather assume good about the priest who took his parish to the movie, he probably just wanted to take them to a Christmas themed movie, not accept any errors in it and he was probably ignorant of any errors. Not sure why Fr Relyae said that but maybe he was really concerned about it. Trying to assume best about both priests but in any case not my job to judge any priest :) 

MarysLittleFlower

From the talk I referenced previously:

Regarding confession of habitual sins "after the third time, absolutions are no longer valid"

Also when I listened the second time he said "a mother's place is at home with her children" but did not actually label it as a mortal sin for a mother to work outside the home.

The second thing I heard before but the priest later clarified in our culture there isn't always a choice and implied culture is to blame? If I remember. Its different if its not necessary and if bad motives

With the first one I don't know maybe it refers to someone not even trying to change? Though of course with total unrepentance the first time its invalid... I asked my priest on this who is FSSP and he said as long as you repent you're forgiven. Not just 3 times. So not sure what Fr Relyae meant - maybe meant about unrepentance being involved... But if a person is sorry they can be forgiven the Church teaches. 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

Nihil Obstat

There was a very early heresy. I think it was Origenism. They believed one could only be forgiven through confession a single time, and that was it. Basically baptism was your lifeline and confession was a one time only second chance.

BarbTherese

There was a very early heresy. I think it was Origenism. They believed one could only be forgiven through confession a single time, and that was it. Basically baptism was your lifeline and confession was a one time only second chance.

Good heavens !