An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breaking The News

gratiaplena

gratiaplena

Happy Easter!!! I just wanted to thank you all again for your advice and update you on the situation - I was blessed to attend a 5 day silent retreat over Holy Week (side note: I really recommend Miles Christi retreats if anyone ever wants to do the Spiritual Exercises!) and it was incredibly powerful for me in my discernment. I felt very strongly that God was asking me to talk with my parents and so I talked to them. They took it very well, praise God! I am so blessed that they are understanding and want me to be happy. However, they want me to finish physical therapy school, which would be another 3 years of schooling before I, God-willing, would enter.

It would be difficult to wait when I feel so strongly that God wants me to give Him everything in religious life, but if it is the cross that God wants me to bear, I pray that I can patiently bear it! I am so happy that God softened their hearts and they are supportive. Thank you all again for the advice. Pray for me, that I can completely abandon myself to His holy Will! You are all in my prayers! +JMJ+

TheresaThoma

That is wonderfu! 

Its hard to wait but one of the best pieces of advice I was given was to finish my degree before looking at entering. In the past three years I've had some wonderful and crazy experiences that I would not trade for anything. Those experiences have helped me grow and I know that whenever and wherever I end up entering I will be better for those experiences. So it can be hard to wait but God always has a reason for asking us (most of the time through others) to wait!

IgnatiusofLoyola

Happy Easter!!! I just wanted to thank you all again for your advice and update you on the situation - I was blessed to attend a 5 day silent retreat over Holy Week (side note: I really recommend Miles Christi retreats if anyone ever wants to do the Spiritual Exercises!) and it was incredibly powerful for me in my discernment. I felt very strongly that God was asking me to talk with my parents and so I talked to them. They took it very well, praise God! I am so blessed that they are understanding and want me to be happy. However, they want me to finish physical therapy school, which would be another 3 years of schooling before I, God-willing, would enter.

It would be difficult to wait when I feel so strongly that God wants me to give Him everything in religious life, but if it is the cross that God wants me to bear, I pray that I can patiently bear it! I am so happy that God softened their hearts and they are supportive. Thank you all again for the advice. Pray for me, that I can completely abandon myself to His holy Will! You are all in my prayers! +JMJ+

​It's possible that, over time, as your parents see your strong desire to enter religious life, that they will relent and give you their blessing to enter before you finish your physical therapy training.

However, finishing physical therapy school may not be a bad thing, either. Even apart from life experiences that may help you grow in wisdom before you enter, if I were a Community, I would think it a wonderful blessing to have a trained physical therapist among the Sisters!

Chiquitunga

​That's awe.some gratiaplena! & that Holy Week retreat is powerful! & there are a lot of connections between the MC priests and JMJ Carmels. Like Ignatius said, your parents may change their mind over time. But it's great at least that they are supportive. Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity had to wait some years before entering because of her mother too. St. Maravillas and St. Teresa Benedicta had to wait even longer as well. But still, you may not have to, especially if you are over 18, etc. Anyway, will keep you in prayer :pray: God bless!

p.s. you have the same birthday as Holy Mother St. Teresa! :saint:

Edited by Chiquitunga