An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you believe in freedom of worship?

Nihil Obstat

Do you believe in freedom of worship as described in Libertas?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

Wow, it looks like I've got hours worth of posts to catch up on.  

Yes. Please read the entirety of Leo XIII's writing and then summarize it for me in a paper of 7000-14000 words, accompanied by a paper of around 4000 words describing the political climate of his time.

Then the history thing.

Kthxbai. I look forward to reading it tomorrow.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Futurepriest tells me he clicked on yes, but meant to click no. Perhaps the forum software still allows moderators or administrators to change voting numbers?

@dUSt, @Credo in Deum?

​Having to live with his original answer can be FP's "penance" for logging into Phatmass during Lent. :)  (Next year, FP will know better than to publicly post any Lenten intentions that might be noticed by the likes of us.)  :)

PhuturePriest

​Having to live with his original answer can be FP's "penance" for logging into Phatmass during Lent. :)  (Next year, FP will know better than to publicly post any Lenten intentions that might be noticed by the likes of us.)  :)

​It's not a sin to do something you gave up. As I haven't been on the internet whatsoever for the past week due to computer problems, I don't think being on Phatmass a little bit is that big of a deal.

However, it is becoming abundantly clear that many members do not want me here whatsoever.

Ancilla Domini

​However, it is becoming abundantly clear that many members do not want me here whatsoever.

​We're just all paying attention to your lenten resolutions and making sure that you stick to them, because we want you to be holy. We're just such a good pham. :P

IgnatiusofLoyola

​It's not a sin to do something you gave up. As I haven't been on the internet whatsoever for the past week due to computer problems, I don't think being on Phatmass a little bit is that big of a deal.

However, it is becoming abundantly clear that many members do not want me here whatsoever.

​Dude. I was teasing you. :) I thought that was evident from all the smileys in my post, but apparently not. Note for the future: At least in my case, if I am making a post that is intended to be serious (including seriously critical), I do not use a lot of smileys. That said, sometimes you seem to be begging to be teased. :) In another thread, you made a remark about being more popular than Lil Red. Of course, you're going to be teased about a remark like that, because being as popular or as amesome as Lil Red is a goal that only a few will ever achieve, and that achievement would take years. :notworthy:

Also, consider the source in my post. You took my use of the word "penance" (in quotes) to mean that I was accusing you of sinning in posting on the Internet. Seriously, I am not versed well enough in Catholicism to know that my use of the word "penance" meant that I thought you had sinned. When I post on Phatmass, I don't pick my words as carefully as I used to do when I was paid for writing reports that took hundreds of hours of work. "Penance" was the first word that came to mind. Plus, I put "penance" in quotes in that context to try to indicate that I wasn't trying to be literal. Obviously I failed, but I tried. :idontknow:

You are under no obligation to justify your Internet posting to me (especially to me) or to anyone else on Phatmass. Your Lenten practices are between you and God. If you want to share them, fine. But, you are under no obligation to do so. I would be suprised if any Phatmass member did NOT fall short of their Lenten intentions in some way. And, sometimes it's better not to share everything on Phatmass.

That said, you set yourself up for teasing when your Lenten intention was an "absolute"--that you said you wouldn't post on Phatmass at all during Lent. You could just as easily have posted something like, "I will try to cut back on posting on Phatmass," even if your actual goal was not to try to post at all during Lent. Then no one would have grounds for teasing you. Also, rather than making an excuse, you could have replied something like, "Yeah, my bad. You guys are so great I couldn't live without you. :P "  It took me far too long (decades, actually) to learn that honest humility--actually admitting I made a mistake--when used in the right context is seen as a sign of strength, not weakness. I come from a family where, even as an adult, everything I say "can and will be used against me" so I learned to always keep my guard up with my family. If I had learned about the strength of humility when I was your age, I would have had a happier life.

I suspect you have no idea how many people on Phatmass pray for you. And, I'm not talking about "pity praying." I mean honestly wanting you to be happy, successful, and fulfilled in what God wants for your life. Believe it or not.

AccountDeleted

​We're just all paying attention to your lenten resolutions and making sure that you stick to them, because we want you to be holy. We're just such a good pham. :P

​Actually I just enjoy teasing FP. I'm the horrible older sister who teases her little brother mercilessly. When I used to do it to my nephew however he would stare at me and say 'Stop teasing, Nannie!' (his name for me) and that put me in my place! :P 

When a person posts their Lenten intention for the whole world to see and then breaks it over and over again and makes excuses for doing so, well, that's bound to cop a certain amount of flak. Just saying. :dance3: 

Nihil Obstat

So for those of you who do disagree with Pope Leo, what are your thoughts on that situation? Was he just straight up wrong when it came to the nature of true liberty? Was he wrong on the Christian constitution of states? Or the nature of the state itself? Was he right in the late 1800s, but wrong later?

PhuturePriest

​Dude. I was teasing you. :) I thought that was evident from all the smileys in my post, but apparently not. Note for the future: At least in my case, if I am making a post

​I never said you did. I said "some members on Phatmass". If I meant you, I would have said "You and others", which is different.

I also never said I wouldn't post on Phatmass. If you look at what I said, it was actually quite ambiguous. I took a break so I wouldn't lose my mind because the drama was becoming too much.

However, we are hijacking Nihil's thread, and I am very much interested in the question he just asked.

Nihil Obstat

Puellapaschalis is too afraid to vote~! I know she has seen the thread because she liked one of my posts, but she is scared to answer! Neener neener.

tumblr_mtx0jwgQUN1sk0qvvo1_r1_500.gif 

AccountDeleted

​I never said you did. I said "some members on Phatmass". If I meant you, I would have said "You and others", which is different.

I also never said I wouldn't post on Phatmass. If you look at what I said, it was actually quite ambiguous. I took a break so I wouldn't lose my mind because the drama was becoming too much.

However, we are hijacking Nihil's thread, and I am very much interested in the question he just asked.

Isn't that funny because the original post actually said:

------------------------------

Posted 23 February, PhutuePriest said:

"I blatantly and unashamedly changed what you said because I was too lazy to go back a few pages.

As it turns out, I am also giving up Phatmass for Lent. It was something I decided to do on Ash Wednesday. All for the better, as it is best to decide to get off before Phatmassers start ripping each other apart like beasts because they haven't had coffee for three weeks. :|?
​-----------------------------

I don't see what's so ambiguous about that. :P  But good intentions are paving the highway to somewhere so perhaps I shouldn't be admonishing the sinner? (Stop teasing, Nunsense!)

truthfinder

Ok, I've read through, and tbh, I don't have a head for this (especially not this week).  I will say, though, that of a benevolent, but maybe truly "official" Catholic state (I haven't really figured that out yet), would be the years of 1572 to 1610 in France under Henry IV.  Baptised Catholic, raised a Huguenot, and eventually reverted to Catholicism (for arguably political reasons), in practice was rather benevolent to both Protestants and Catholics, and was disliked by both groups for it.  I'm not entirely sure if Catholicism was the state religion of this time, although I would lean toward that understanding.  However, the Jesuits in particular benefited from his presence as king as they were finally allowed back into France after exile.  They would later be accused of causing the assassination of Henry, and which undoubtedly did lead to more religious orders to flourish and gain power.  

During this time, however, the last century of conflict certainly wasn't forgotten, and those on both sides persecuted and were persecuted by the other.  We have accounts of Huguenots refusing to sail missionaries to New France and also being abusive when they were on board ship.  We also have many accounts of really stupid behaviour on the Catholic side (in my sources, just baiting Protestants into theological battles), but I'm sure there were discriminatory practices as well.  After the death of Henry IV, France certainly does shift to what could be considered a Catholic state, where the requirement to be Catholic to fulfill certain roles was mandated.  However, in some cases, there was converting-in-name-only, and continuing with the Protestant faith.  Some just winked, and got on with it, others weren't so easy - it depended on their place in society, wealth, and how well connected they might be.  On the very low end of the social spectrum, we cannot of course forget how much superstitious and witchcraft/folk tale based the rural society was.  Pagan roots had never truly been removed, although the Council of Trent did give some impetus, and particularly among the Jesuits, to start bringing people to the true practice of the faith with the syncretic elements removed, or at least sacralized.  

puellapaschalis

Puellapaschalis is too afraid to vote~! I know she has seen the thread because she liked one of my posts, but she is scared to answer! Neener neener.

tumblr_mtx0jwgQUN1sk0qvvo1_r1_500.gif 

​Puellapaschalis is catching up on a sleep deficit of Doom™ and in between the hardcore prayers and naps is busy thinking about navigating the unnavigable course that is (or seems to be) being a Catholic on Phatmass.

Also I almost got locked in church just now and am about to have some toast to deal with the trauma.

In addition that gif is most definitely not helping.

Nihil Obstat

​Puellapaschalis is catching up on a sleep deficit of Doom™ and in between the hardcore prayers and naps is busy thinking about navigating the unnavigable course that is (or seems to be) being a Catholic on Phatmass.

Also I almost got locked in church just now and am about to have some toast to deal with the trauma.

In addition that gif is most definitely not helping.

​I can wait. Enjoy your toast.