An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's the minimum age to be a nun?

Discerning13

AccountDeleted

No worries. I think G is just talking out loud trying to remember which order it is. The OP is in the UK so her going to a high school in Michigan without her parents permission is highly unlikely :)

​LOL - what a doofus I am! :)  Yeah, a bit of a trek, huh!

The aspirancy schools have almost disappeared in Europe and USA, in Spain i know 3, if are common in Hispanic countries, Asia y África. It is not always the best way to get vocations, but I put examples of serious congregations, which are not allow entry of young people without vocation, I can not say the same for all.

Dominican Republic: CONGREGACIÓN HERMANAS MISIONERAS DEL CORAZÓN DE JESÚS

Aspirantes.jpg

Mexico: Daughters of Holy Mary of Sacred of Heart of Jesus

port-asp.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kq58cn0vspeusio/Jesús Sembrador 2014.mp4

El Salvador: Salesian Sisters, from 16 years

sam_7314.jpg

https://aspirantadofmacam.wordpress.com/

BarbTherese

In Australia prior V2, The St Joseph Sisters of St Mary of The Cross MacKillop had what we called Juniorites - one could complete college years and then enter immediately into postulancy.  These Juniorites no longer exist.  My mother was absolutely horrified and refused permission (parental permission was required) when I told her at 12yrs of age I would like to enter the St Joseph Sisters' Juniorite.  My Dad was not so upset. He was a cradle Catholic, Mum a convert.

I don't know if other Orders in Australia may have had Juniorites.

I know there's one in the US. Dang, where's that famous house-finder...?! Who was that again? The VSer who could always find anything we looked for...?

veritasluxmea

In first-world areas (North America, Europe), it's unusual to join an order under the age of 18, and even that's considered young. But in second or third world areas (South and Central America, Africa) people join a lot younger. I wonder why? Interesting trend! Must be a cultural thing. 

truthfinder

Found it!!! Trinitarians of Mary have an "academic aspirancy" for those 13-17.  They do their schooling with the sisters and see their families on weekends and holidays.  

AccountDeleted

Found it!!! Trinitarians of Mary have an "academic aspirancy" for those 13-17.  They do their schooling with the sisters and see their families on weekends and holidays.  

Is that kind of like a seminary for religious sisters?

truthfinder

Kind of like the high school seminaries of old. They are not in formation but are completing their education in a very religious setting with an eye to entering. 

AccountDeleted

Kind of like the high school seminaries of old. They are not in formation but are completing their education in a very religious setting with an eye to entering. 

​Interesting. I wish I had been involved with Catholicism at a young age. I loved the whole idea of English or Australian girls' boarding schools (especially the uniforms) and wanted to go to one. I think a Catholic boarding school would have suited me quite well but with agnostic parents who had 7 kids at that time and weren't particularly rich, well, it wasn't going to happen. :) 

​Interesting. I wish I had been involved with Catholicism at a young age. I loved the whole idea of English or Australian girls' boarding schools (especially the uniforms) and wanted to go to one. I think a Catholic boarding school would have suited me quite well but with agnostic parents who had 7 kids at that time and weren't particularly rich, well, it wasn't going to happen. :) 

​The aspirancy schools usually very inexpensive, even free, according to the income of parents. 

In first-world areas (North America, Europe), it's unusual to join an order under the age of 18, and even that's considered young. But in second or third world areas (South and Central America, Africa) people join a lot younger. I wonder why? Interesting trend! Must be a cultural thing. 

​In USA and Europe were common these schools, were disappearing between 60 and 70 decades. Then you could enter the postulancy with 17 and even 16 years, in some congregations the postulants studying the last year of high school.

old aspirants in USA, .

Aspirancy-Class-of-1964.jpg

​Depends on the congregation, in some it is like a religious boarding school with more practice, others form to the students as a first stage of religious life and only admit girls who are sure they want to be religious sisters, 

AccountDeleted

​The aspirancy schools usually very inexpensive, even free, according to the income of parents. 

​In USA and Europe were common these schools, were disappearing between 60 and 70 decades. Then you could enter the postulancy with 17 and even 16 years, in some congregations the postulants studying the last year of high school.

​Depends on the congregation, in some it is like a religious boarding school with more practice, others form to the students as a first stage of religious life and only admit girls who are sure they want to be religious sisters, 

​Boarding schools in the UK and England were expensive though and that's what I romanticized about.

And my parents wouldn't have let me attend a religious school of any kind.

So my musings are just 'what ifs' and I know those are silly. But it's like imagining alternative universes and wondering what life would have been like 'if only'. :) 

I remember that my grandma talk with me about this kind of school and they exist in my country.But they disperser around 40 years ago.

Girls around high school age (14-15) enter this high school where they get high school Diploma and wide religious education.They lived in dormitory and they have free weekends.After they finished it has excepted from this girls that they enter monastery.Most of the girls join but in generation every time few of them give up from different reason what is quite normal.

For me it will be very interesting to see how will this kind of schools work in our time,and our cultures.

Boarding schools in the UK and England were expensive though and that's what I romanticized about.

And my parents wouldn't have let me attend a religious school of any kind.

So my musings are just 'what ifs' and I know those are silly. But it's like imagining alternative universes and wondering what life would have been like 'if only'. :) 

​Not the same religious school that an aspirancy for future sisters. Have to be very careful with this issue, to ensure they do not enter young, without a religious vocation. I think part of the problems that have occurred in many congregations, were by people who came very young, without proper vocation. they were not happy in religious life, and after Vatican II council, they changed rules to let unrecognizable religious life. 

Many times it has also happened that confounded the desire to be a good Christian, with the religious vocation.

This aspirancy in Spain if I seem to have a good system, is a boarding school, the aspirants live apart, but they go to class with other students, internal and external, doing the same activities with others, for holidays go home and have their formation, without being separated from everything else, being able to choose freely whether they want to enter religious life. I've known women who studied there and then did not enter the religious life, all speak highly of the sisters, but elsewhere, there students who even lost their faith.

http://www.hsmcj.org/mieses.html

http://trinitariansofmary.org/WEBSITE_ENGLISH/Academic_Aspirancy.html