An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's the minimum age to be a nun?

Discerning13

​Not the same religious school that an aspirancy for future sisters. Have to be very careful with this issue, to ensure they do not enter young, without a religious vocation. I think part of the problems that have occurred in many congregations, were by people who came very young, without proper vocation. they were not happy in religious life, and after Vatican II council, they changed rules to let unrecognizable religious life. 

Many times it has also happened that confounded the desire to be a good Christian, with the religious vocation.

This aspirancy in Spain if I seem to have a good system, is a boarding school, the aspirants live apart, but they go to class with other students, internal and external, doing the same activities with others, for holidays go home and have their formation, without being separated from everything else, being able to choose freely whether they want to enter religious life. I've known women who studied there and then did not enter the religious life, all speak highly of the sisters, but elsewhere, there students who even lost their faith.

http://www.hsmcj.org/mieses.html

http://trinitariansofmary.org/WEBSITE_ENGLISH/Academic_Aspirancy.html

​I agree with this totally.The best way is to be integrated and no separated in that way you can see your options,But also this school if they guided good can be very good for vocations.They can give you education,support and spiritually guidance.

AccountDeleted

​Not the same religious school that an aspirancy for future sisters. Have to be very careful with this issue, to ensure they do not enter young, without a religious vocation. I think part of the problems that have occurred in many congregations, were by people who came very young, without proper vocation. they were not happy in religious life, and after Vatican II council, they changed rules to let unrecognizable religious life. 

Many times it has also happened that confounded the desire to be a good Christian, with the religious vocation.

This aspirancy in Spain if I seem to have a good system, is a boarding school, the aspirants live apart, but they go to class with other students, internal and external, doing the same activities with others, for holidays go home and have their formation, without being separated from everything else, being able to choose freely whether they want to enter religious life. I've known women who studied there and then did not enter the religious life, all speak highly of the sisters, but elsewhere, there students who even lost their faith.

http://www.hsmcj.org/mieses.html

http://trinitariansofmary.org/WEBSITE_ENGLISH/Academic_Aspirancy.html

​I'm not sure why you quoted my post because I wasn't talking about religious schools - as my parents were agnostic. I was talking about good old fashioned boarding schools that they still have in the UK and Australia.

In Australia, almost all students wear uniforms, and I love this - I am a uniform fanatic, and as a mother, I loved that my kids wore uniforms to school too. One of my daughters did attend a Catholic school and I loved everything about that school. But during my childhood, I grew up in California, and my parents sent me to public school. No uniforms, no religion.

I think a lot of Catholic schools encouraged vocations in the past, because of all the nun teachers, but my daughter, who attended Catholic school in the 90s, was not in the least encouraged to enter RL, and in fact, they didn't even mention it to her, as far as I know - she never discussed it with me. 

But even in those schools where nuns taught, they weren't all the same because my sister in law spent 12 years in Catholic schools and she said that all the girls went through a short phase of thinking about becoming nuns, but for most of them it never lasted, and today she cringes at the idea of such a things, telling me she simply couldn't be a nun. The good thing for her is that she loves being a wife and mother.

I am the only one of my siblings who ever really felt God calling in my heart, and as I said, I never attended anything the least religious, school or church. So God has His own plans and ways of doing things. The sister in law taught by nuns wasn't interested in RL. But me, the daughter of agnostics, who went to public school was. God is mysterious!

I remember that my grandma talk with me about this kind of school and they exist in my country.But they disperser around 40 years ago.

Girls around high school age (14-15) enter this high school where they get high school Diploma and wide religious education.They lived in dormitory and they have free weekends.After they finished it has excepted from this girls that they enter monastery.Most of the girls join but in generation every time few of them give up from different reason what is quite normal.

For me it will be very interesting to see how will this kind of schools work in our time,and our cultures.

There are several ways to make the aspirancy, apart from schools. The Religious Angelics, present in Italy, Spain and America, had few vocations as many congregations. They initiated a discernment program for youth, these living with the sisters as they discern their vocation, for the day they go to their studies, the younger to high school, college, vocational schools or your work the most elderly, the aspirants have between 16 and 24 years.

P1010090.JPG

only use the uniform inside the house, it helps to remember that they are in discernment, when they go to their studies or work, wear their own clothes, or school uniforms of school where they study, as these sisters have no schools. After some time, leave the house if they think they have no vocation, or go to postulancy, some youth have already entered in the congregation.

10429829_627626807356720_230412855186388

truthfinder

I'll have to see if I can dig it up, or whether some one else can.  But there was a video on youtube in the late 50s early 60s about one of these aspirancy schools in the US.  It was an interview with a reporter.  

orapronobis

I'll have to see if I can dig it up, or whether some one else can.  But there was a video on youtube in the late 50s early 60s about one of these aspirancy schools in the US.  It was an interview with a reporter.  

Do you mean that video "why is a nun?" By any chance?  

On a slightly related topic, does anyone know the minimum wage for a nun?

​I think they take  a vow ofpoverty unlike dioscean priests

Dicserning 13,

If I were a priest I would tell you to relax and focus on becoming a Catholic and join the RCIA process.Just learn about orders don't worry about joining right away and wait a couple of years to contact a order so you are sure the communities you contact are right and it will take a while and pray and look for signs.

Found it!!! Trinitarians of Mary have an "academic aspirancy" for those 13-17.  They do their schooling with the sisters and see their families on weekends and holidays.  

​You are amesome!!! :notworthy2:

And LOOK!

http://trinitariansofmary.org/WEBSITE_ENGLISH/Grand_Rapids.html

They have a house in Grand Rapids!

I'M NOT CRAZY!!!

I'M NOT CRAZY!!!

I'M NOT CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!

:getaclue:

Okay I'm fine now.

Thank you, truthfinder! You have really found the truth this time! ;)

AveMariaPurissima

Except their habits most definitely are not black... ;)

I hate to be the one to put a damper on this, but based on personal experience, I have serious reservations about the Trinitarians.  For the sake of charity though, I don't wish to explain publicly, but you can pm me if you want to know more.*

*Mediators of Meh if this statement goes against charity or VS rules, feel free to edit or delete at your discretion.

truthfinder

Except their habits most definitely are not black... ;)

I hate to be the one to put a damper on this, but based on personal experience, I have serious reservations about the Trinitarians.  For the sake of charity though, I don't wish to explain publicly, but you can pm me if you want to know more.*

*Mediators of Meh if this statement goes against charity or VS rules, feel free to edit or delete at your discretion.

I was hoping you'd comment. I posted the link because I know they were one of the few who had an academic program, not an judgement (either way) on their community. I'm not an MoM, but I think what you've proposed is a good approach for those who want to know more. 

I was fortunate enough to attend one of these schools. The Motherhouse of nuns was a part of the campus which housed a day, boarding school and Aspirancy. My home was 40 miles from the Academy, so I was a boarder.  ( Think The Trouble with Angels)  I was Haley Mills!  :0) The aspirants lived on the same floor as us, only separately. They were high school age and thought they wanted to enter the community. We all attended daily Mass, had scheduled study halls, meals and free periods.  We all attended classes together. The Aspirants had additional classes about the Order and more stringent rules. We could go home on weekends, if we wished. They went home less frequently. I think this program ended in the early 70's. I really loved it. We could go to the Chapel ( huge) and pray at any time. I used to go and listen to the Nuns sing and pray the Office My High school graduating class had 120 girls. Forty of them entered the Community. I was one of them. I think there are fewer than 10 today. 

I was fortunate enough to attend one of these schools. The Motherhouse of nuns was a part of the campus which housed a day, boarding school and Aspirancy. My home was 40 miles from the Academy, so I was a boarder.  ( Think The Trouble with Angels)  I was Haley Mills!  :0) The aspirants lived on the same floor as us, only separately. They were high school age and thought they wanted to enter the community. We all attended daily Mass, had scheduled study halls, meals and free periods.  We all attended classes together. The Aspirants had additional classes about the Order and more stringent rules. We could go home on weekends, if we wished. They went home less frequently. I think this program ended in the early 70's. I really loved it. We could go to the Chapel ( huge) and pray at any time. I used to go and listen to the Nuns sing and pray the Office My High school graduating class had 120 girls. Forty of them entered the Community. I was one of them. I think there are fewer than 10 today. 

​In my class we were 32, 8 entered in the Opus Dei as numeraries, today only follows one.