An Old School Catholic Message Board

Have you any idea of order ?

NadaTeTurbe

NadaTeTurbe

Hello :) 

I'm in the beginning of my discernment, and i'm looking for orders ! Just for reading about it, etc... Here are what attract me the most and some "criteria". 

a) THe most important thing that i'm looking for is the service to the poor. I'm not interrested in : working in parish or religious thing, evangelization, working as a teacher in catholic school, working in hospital. I feel attracted with helping the poorest of the poor. I have a BIG heart for immigrant, orphan, homeless. 
b) BUT I can't, for health reason, live with a community who would live in a big poverty (like missionary of charity from mother Theresa). 
c) I speak spanish, a good level of english (i think), and of course french, so i'm ready for any community in any english/spanish/french speaking country. I'm ready to move !
d) About prayer... I value mental prayer, bible reading, the mass, and faith-sharing. I'm less with the rosary, eucharistic adoration, litany. 
e) I'm not marian and have never felt attracted to a marian institute. That's why, even if I LOVE what they do, I don't think I can be a daughter of charity. 
f) I'm not charimastic at all, also. Like really really really no. When people pray in tongue, I pray in french... Plus, I would love an old order, to feel connected with history. 

I think it's all... Please give me the name of the institute, website if they have, and why you think they could interest me. 

I already have read the vocation file from CMSRW and the book from vocation vision network. 

NadaTeTurbe

I realized i never did the vocation match ! So I did it and here are my results and comment.

Maryknoll sisters :
I love these. « Making God love visible » is a very beautiful motto. I love that you can read the story of each sisters and, thanks God, they are so smart and work.so.much. I’m very impressed and for sure I will look for more.

Religious teacher filipini
I’m not interested in teaching in catholic school ; so no. But their veil is funny !

sisters of st joseph Erie PA

It’s not the firt time I read about the sisters of st joseph. I really really love them, plus every time i read abotu vocation, they are here lol

The virtues of humility and charity are the basis and distinctive characteristics of our spirit and spirituality. Reconciliation is central to our lives and we actively seek peace and forgiveness with God, within ourselves, and with others in order to promote the inner harmony characteristic of a disciple of Christ. 

YAYAYAYA- Love this

sisters of st joseph carondelet Los Angeles

Same. I like them.

dominican sisters OP San Jose
It’s not the ministries i’m looking for but they are involved in Taizé so i’m going to read more.

Presentation sisters UK
They are more in the education, like the R.TF

dominican sisters of divine providence

Same

Wheaton Franciscan

·         We respect and uphold the sacredness of human life and the dignity and worth of each person. (Gn. 1:26-27; 2:7)

·         We empower each other and others in physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual growth and healing. (Jn. 10:10; Mt. 10:7-8, 12)

·         We respond to those in need, giving preference to the poor and oppressed. (Is. 58:6-7; Mt. 5:7)

·         We promote justice and peace for all in collaboration with others. (Is. 42:6-7; 1 Cor. 12:4-7, 12)

I agree, so why not ?

congregation of sisters of bon secours
THEY ARE IN France ! And they have a super website so i’m reading it for sure.

Franciscan missionary of mary

I can’t find a lot about them. But i’ve never been very franciscan, and i have so much to read…

faithfull companion of jesus
I’m reading more. They have a lot of ministries. Their french website is full of english word and word-to-word translation :D

Ursuline of jesus
i don’t find a lot about them, too.

handmaids of the sacred heart of jesus

Website doesn’t work

sisters of social service

I love the name and the mission.

So i’m reading more about sisters of st joseph, faitfull companion of jesus, sisters of social service, and maryknoll sisters.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Missionary servants of the poor of the third world http://msptm.com/eng/  They are new, not an old order. Most old orders aren't directly connected with working with the poor but are monastic. Monasteries took care of the poor and homeless, etc. in the middle ages.

Your criteria list is quite detailed. Sort of like you will only marry a guy that has brown hair, blue eyes, 6.2 feet, etc. There has to be a certain amount of dying to self in going where God is calling you. Me? If you saw my "list" I should be a Benedictine in a remote country abbey with Latin and Gregorian Chant, etc!

Just keep asking our Lord to show you where HE wants you and to purify your heart and He will!

Ancilla Domini

I'd recommend the Servidoras, but I think they may be Marian. You might want to check out their website, though. (It can, obviously, tell you more about them than I can. ;)) http://ssvmusa.org/

What about the Little Sisters of the Poor? They are not ancient, but from the 19th century, and work with the elderly. And they are French in origin (but now very international). Founded by Ste. Jeanne Jugan.  Here is the US website, but there is no doubt a French one, as well. http://www.littlesistersofthepoor.org/

NadaTeTurbe

I have search close to my home, don't worry ;) But my director told me to read a lot about what interest me, and that I will know when it will be in the right. and that I sould trust life (that's why i feel attracted by the sisters of st joseph : they have often been here in important moment of my spiritual progression.) He always told me that he read a lot about religious life, choose his community, then one day, because of a car crash (!), meet another community and from this day, he never left this community. 

Your criteria list is quite detailed. Sort of like you will only marry a guy that has brown hair, blue eyes, 6.2 feet, etc. There has to be a certain amount of dying to self in going where God is calling you. Me? If you saw my "list" I should be a Benedictine in a remote country abbey with Latin and Gregorian Chant, etc!

But I know that some of what I have told (like working with the poor, etc...) will be hard. Because I grew up in a big boarding school, living alone or in a little community sound HORRIBLE for me. I know how to manage relationship in a big community. I don't know how to act in little group (even in my own family, tbh). It's really a hard thing for me. I have a lot of health related problem, and I know I shall renounce to be a "Super St Vincent de Paul" or "Super Mother Theresa". This is hard too. Not even from a religious point of view, but in my every day life, telling myself "You can't do more" because God give me a weak body.  And even helping the poor... In me, i feel inner peace thinking about it, and seeing (?) it. But doing it is hard, because I come from a middle-class family, and that I don't know how to act and feel so stupid. I feel I must show them how much God love them, but I'm still learning how. 
My primary list would have been a little "village" of religious in the forest, working with their hand, in silence. (I can even give you the name of the forest

:P )

But my body, my heart, and God, told me other things, that I have write here. Well, if in 10 year you find me in a contemplative marial monastery, I will make you cookies ;) 

I didn't know that the Little sisters of the poor are in France :o A friend of mine meet them in Senegal, at Keur Moussa ! She told me they were sweet, worked a lot in a dispensary, and prayed a lot of course. 

littlesister

The Motherhouse is in the diocese, maybe 15 kilometers into the country toward Brest and 10-15 minutes from Montfort.  There are homes ("MaMaison") all over France.

There isn't a French site as such, but everything is on the http://rennes.catholique.fr/psdp, , including videos of Motherhouse events and vocation information / discernment opportunities, etc.  

incarnatewordsister

Check out http://www.iwbscc.org/call_charism.html

We were founded in 1625, how's that for history?  Our three main languages are English, Spanish and French. We're not charismatic either. However, I must say, when Christ calls you, you must be ready, you never know what God may ask of you. Anyway, take a look.

Our Charism

Our gift to the world is to “extend the Incarnation.” That means we are called to an ever-deepening intimacy with Christ so that –like Him- we can be the human face of God’s love in our world today.

Our Mission

We join in the mission of Christ as he traveled his world, proclaiming the Good News of God’s unconditional love that desires fullness of life for us all. Whatever our situation, we work to bring about a Christian wholeness in each person we meet and a Christian unity among all those who fill our day.

We proclaim the truth of God’s unconditional love with many voices. You can recognize us teaching in Catholic schools. You can find us in parishes, (religious education and adult faith formation) in diocesan departments, in hospital chaplaincy and in prison ministry. You will also meet us at retreats, in counseling and spiritual direction. You will see us assisting with liturgical celebrations and addressing concerns of justice and peace.

We have many voices, but we have the face of one community. Our shared life is the source from which our works flow, for here we have the opportunity to support and challenge one another to grow. Therefore, community is also part of the gift of love we offer to the Church today.

Let us aim to be ministers of peace among those who do not possess it.

--Jeanne Chezard de Matel, Treatise on the Beatitudes

NadaTeTurbe

I have watch the little sister of the poor things ! I hope i can visit them this summer, when I will be in Bretagne :) 

Truthfinder, thank you for the link, helping orphan is so beautiful, but just to be clear, i am not, specifically, looking for a """traditional""" order. Confession : I am not even attracted to religious habit, and if God call me to a community who express its consecration through a religious habit, I will obey, but if  He call me to a community who express its consecration through a simple sign like a cross/ a little veil and not a habit, I will be veeeeeery happy ;) I don't despise religious habit, it's just not my cup of tea :) 

I have watch the little sister of the poor things ! I hope i can visit them this summer, when I will be in Bretagne :) 

Truthfinder, thank you for the link, helping orphan is so beautiful, but just to be clear, i am not, specifically, looking for a """traditional""" order. Confession : I am not even attracted to religious habit, and if God call me to a community who express its consecration through a religious habit, I will obey, but if  He call me to a community who express its consecration through a simple sign like a cross/ a little veil and not a habit, I will be veeeeeery happy ;) I don't despise religious habit, it's just not my cup of tea :) 

​NadaTeTurbe, you must, must, must look into the Little Sisters of Jesus. Absolutely must! I know these sisters very well. They live among poor and marginalised people, not in big convents, but in small communities. They share the same living conditions as the people they live among - so if they're with nomads in the Sahara desert, they live in tents; if they're in the inner city of London, they live in an apartment; and if they're on the Amazon river, they're in a mud hut. They aim to imitate Jesus' humble and hidden life at Nazareth, and they try to reach the people who are most hidden and ignored by society. They do the same kinds of jobs as the people they live among, so their main ministry is just being present to people and forming friendships with them.

They don't have a habit as such. They wear ordinary clothes in blue with the congregational cross. In some countries the sisters cover their hair with a blue kerchief. Their foundress wanted it this way - the idea was that the sisters, while recognisable as sisters, should wear similar clothes to the people they lived with.

They were founded in the spirituality of Bl. Charles de Foucauld (who also had a big influence on the Taize community - a few buildings in Taize are named after places in his life). If you're drawn to Taize you should get on with the spirituality of the Little Sisters of Jesus. They have the same desire for unity and simplicity. They are in many countries worldwide. Here is their site, and a list of thoughts they have for discerners.

Lily May Gath

Nada te turbe,

As-tu pensé de Taizé? D y passer un peu de temps pendent l'été ou comme permanenete?

Tu pourrais aussi connaitre les soeurs de Saint André et les soeurs Ursulines.

Un temps la y comprit un accompagnement spirituelle par une des soeurs,

Had you thought about Taizé? Spending a little time there as a volunteer.

You would be able to get to know the Sisters of St, Andrew and the Ursulines Sisters.

A stay there includes spiritual accompaniment with one of the sisters

Lily