An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can people be evil?

Anastasia13

​We call these people evil because they do evil things, not because they are evil.  We of course need to pray for their conversion, but this does not preclude bringing them to justice.  There were chaplains at the Nuremburg trials that worked exactly to bring about Nazi conversions while preparing them for the noose.  

​That part about the chaplains at the N/ Trials is amazing i never knew that.

truthfinder

​That part about the chaplains at the N/ Trials is amazing i never knew that.

​I read an article on it a while back.  If I can find the link, I'll post it. 

truthfinder

found the link (or close enough) https://www.osv.com/TheChurch/Mary/Article/TabId/660/ArtMID/13700/ArticleID/10747/Chaplain-at-Nuremberg.aspx

There was also a book written about a Protestant minister at the trials as well.  I believe it's called Mission at Nuremberg.  This all reminds me of St. Joseph Cafasso, who among other things, was noted for being the confessor for many awaiting execution. 

OfNoAccount

I am supposing that there really are demons.  I understand that they are pure spirit - that means they are not material - and they used to be angels.

Some people call them evil spirits.

Presumably, it is possible for a human being to do the same thing as the angels did at the beginning which was to rebel against God and to be cast out of Heaven.    My understanding is that the mercy of God is being shown to the offspring of our disobedient first parents and we are given time, a lifetime, to decide whether to serve God or to refuse to serve Him.

It will be at the Last Judgement that each of us will be finally elected or rejected - and this will be done by God the Father alone.

We are never to presume on what God judges of any other person, so it is better not to entertain the thought at any time about anybody.

What we are able to do is know if people are a danger to us or those we love and so are allowed to use the wisdom "by their fruits you shall know them" and attempt to avoid or minimise harm to yourself and those you love by responding in a way that protects or removes you.