Anomaly Posted April 24, 2015 Posted April 24, 2015 Three things: 1: WWII movie about a little boy making an impact. Little Boy is name of Hiroshima atomic bomb. Ironic. 2: After watching trailer once, link showed trailer for "Barber" with a big breasted woman. Funny to me. 3: Priests tells boy Faith works unless you have one shred of doubt. That is so wrong, I literally can't even....
CrossCuT Posted April 24, 2015 Posted April 24, 2015 3: Priests tells boy Faith works unless you have one shred of doubt. That is so wrong, I literally can't even.... Yes this, but it looked so adorable I still need to see it!
Era Might Posted April 24, 2015 Posted April 24, 2015 If he can bring his father home why doesn't he just kill Hitler and bring everyone home?
Credo in Deum Posted April 24, 2015 Posted April 24, 2015 If he can bring his father home why doesn't he just kill Hitler and bring everyone home?
dUSt Posted April 24, 2015 Author Posted April 24, 2015 And here I thought a movie that has a good moral theme and a positive depiction of the Church would be well received here.
KnightofChrist Posted April 24, 2015 Posted April 24, 2015 Never underestimate the power of waaaaaaaaaaaa
KnightofChrist Posted April 24, 2015 Posted April 24, 2015 3: Priests tells boy Faith works unless you have one shred of doubt. That is so wrong, I literally can't even.... Yoda said the same thing about the Force to Luke. Whoopity do dah.
Amppax Posted April 25, 2015 Posted April 25, 2015 Yoda said the same thing about the Force to Luke. Whoopity do dah. I think that's exactly the problem with this. Faith isn't some magical power to keep bad things from happening, and that seems to be exactly what the movie is saying.
dUSt Posted April 25, 2015 Author Posted April 25, 2015 I think that's exactly the problem with this. Faith isn't some magical power to keep bad things from happening, and that seems to be exactly what the movie is saying. Oh, after seeing it, what is your complete review?
Amppax Posted April 25, 2015 Posted April 25, 2015 Oh, after seeing it, what is your complete review? I haven't and probably won't for some time, so yeah, that's just a reaction based on the trailer.
Lilllabettt Posted April 25, 2015 Posted April 25, 2015 wow. So the actual point of the movie is that faith is NOT magic. In the child's mind they are the same, and the story of the movie is how the parish priest teaches him they are different. The movie does not play as well as the director's earlier attempt, "Bella," which itself was held back by pacing issues. It's frustrating, because there are many quality elements, and solid performances. It's an okay movie just on the cusp of being truly good. It feels like a missed opportunity. But yeah. way to get exactly the wrong point. How many of you knuckle heads thought American Sniper was pro-war and Zero Dark Thirty was pro-torture?
Era Might Posted April 26, 2015 Posted April 26, 2015 I actually just watched Bella the other day on Netflix, it was okay, halfway decent production, acting was decent not great, was a nice idea more than a good movie.
Oremoose Posted April 26, 2015 Posted April 26, 2015 It looks cute enough to be a nice feel good flick. Yet st also seems that it will have the slight Cheesy undertone most Catholic media seems to never shake.
PhuturePriest Posted April 26, 2015 Posted April 26, 2015 Personally I felt Bella was a great movie, but it's been a while since I last watched it.
Ash Wednesday Posted April 26, 2015 Posted April 26, 2015 It does look a little cheesy -- interesting that the critics on rotten tomatoes hated it but voting audiences loved it. I suppose at first watch of the trailer I did have some of the same reservations about what it was trying to say about the power of faith. That said -- in fairness I'd need to see the whole storyline and movie to draw a conclusion.
Amppax Posted April 27, 2015 Posted April 27, 2015 wow. So the actual point of the movie is that faith is NOT magic. In the child's mind they are the same, and the story of the movie is how the parish priest teaches him they are different. The movie does not play as well as the director's earlier attempt, "Bella," which itself was held back by pacing issues. It's frustrating, because there are many quality elements, and solid performances. It's an okay movie just on the cusp of being truly good. It feels like a missed opportunity. But yeah. way to get exactly the wrong point. How many of you knuckle heads thought American Sniper was pro-war and Zero Dark Thirty was pro-torture? Seeing this trailer was the first time I heard or saw anything about this movie. There's exactly one appearance of the priest, and there's no indication of a difference between him believing he can move the bottle with is mind (magic) and faith. Go ahead, watch the trailer again and tell me that I completely misunderstood it. First the magician, then his talk with the priest (pay attention to the dialogue), and then the earthquake. Tell me again exactly at what point I misunderstood the trailer. If the point of the movie is that faith isn't magic, that trailer completely misrepresents the movie. So I'll stand by what I said, with the caveat that it's based only on that trailer.
Amppax Posted April 27, 2015 Posted April 27, 2015 Seeing this trailer was the first time I heard or saw anything about this movie. There's exactly one appearance of the priest, and there's no indication of a difference between him believing he can move the bottle with is mind (magic) and faith. Go ahead, watch the trailer again and tell me that I completely misunderstood it. First the magician, then his talk with the priest (pay attention to the dialogue), and then the earthquake. Tell me again exactly at what point I misunderstood the trailer. If the point of the movie is that faith isn't magic, that trailer completely misrepresents the movie. So I'll stand by what I said, with the caveat that it's based only on that trailer. Sorry, that was uncalled for. This is why you should sleep kids!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now