truthfinder Posted June 5, 2015 Posted June 5, 2015 I'm so happy I found this thread! I will be in Montreal for two weeks in July. I am actually going to be staying at the Oratory of St Joseph (I'm there for research) which is AMAZING, but I will be sure to visit other places also. One of my Canadian friends recommended I try the smoked meat and the bagels, and to visit the art museums and Old Montreal. If you've got the time, and some money, you can get your way over to Kahnawake which is where the tomb (and a small museum) of St. Kateri Tekakwitha is. It's across the Honore Mercier bridge and it's always under repair in the summer, so factor that in to travel time/method. Since you're going to be across the street from it, you should check out the cemetery: Notre Dame des Neiges - which is the largest cemetery in Canada. http://www.cimetierenddn.org/en/
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye Posted June 5, 2015 Posted June 5, 2015 (edited) Since this is the Lame board. 1.Quebec is free mason Illuminati central and all changes to the workings of the united states of america have come from people that know french speaking Canadians. 2. If you can take back Quebec for the holy mother the hole of Canada in time will come home also. 3. If we get Canada than the Free Mason Illuminati element of the U.S.A will be surrounded by Canada and Mexico and therefore will be boxed in and the devil will have no escape. 4. The first recognized free mason lodge was in France. 5. Ripley's believe it or not. 6. Everything i just said is a possible discerned from the truth in it was either the papal encyclical 'veritas splendor' or 'deus caritas est' where the pope describes in hindsight that the Magesterium sees where the latest and greatest fall of the holy roman catholic church begun, and that was in Quebec where all of a sudden the number of nuns leaving orders began and the number of new women desiring to become nuns suddenly decreased. Gday tabby has popped in to say Peace be with you again, soooo.... Peace be with you and may the light of Gods love justify your faith and sanctify your cause. Onward christian souls. God is Good. P.s. The word Magesterium is not in the U.S dictionary. Think about it. Young men and women of God rise up! Edited June 5, 2015 by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
NadaTeTurbe Posted June 5, 2015 Author Posted June 5, 2015 I live in Canada I'll try to answer as much as I can! In Ottawa you can get away with English or French (French alone is okay - many people in public service are required to be bilingual, but not everyone on the street might understand you). In Quebec, I'd recommend just using French. People are generally friendly, I don't know if there's anything "not to do" that you wouldn't usually do anyway... drinking is accepted but there are some laws maybe about not drinking in parks?? I'm not sure to be honest because I don't drink, but it's something I heard about. People generally would drink in a restaurant. Smoking on the street is tolerated but there are areas a person can't smoke - anywhere near the bus stations, etc... there are usually signs. Tipping is the norm... around 15 percent. Pretty much everyone I know tips but only at restaurants. You don't have to tip at a coffee place etc. Only if there's an actual waitress. In Ottawa I'd visit the Notre Dame cathedral, St Patrick's basilica is a "popular place" for Catholics and has a cool Catholic bookstore, there's also a Latin Mass parish called St Clement's for anyone into that or just interested. For tourism, people generally tour the Parliament hill and maybe the art gallery... to be honest it's not very exciting if you're from Europe. I mean it's a smaller city, and you probably have seen way more extensive art galleries or museums. A nice place to eat.. I'm not sure what kind of stuff you like... there's a nice restaurant in Gatineau (just across the border to Quebec) called Buffet des Continents. In Montreal, I'd definitely see the Oratory and tomb of St Brother Andre there are also some really nice churches around the city and the area of montreal known as "old montreal" with the cobble stone streets and more "European" architecture is probably the most interesting. In Quebec city - again I mostly just like the old part of the city... there are also some old battle related forts and things to see. The place I want to go to there is the tomb of Blessed Dina Belanger, just to add more Catholic things to see. Regarding subjects... I wouldn't talk about money. I don't think it's considered polite here. I don't know if it is talked about in the US or only by some US tourists.. but mostly people just do "small talk" - things like "It's a nice day today", "good to meet you", etc. People generally try to be polite/friendly. Hope that helps! God bless! Thank you for taking all this time to answer me ! I meet my first Québécois two weeks ago. I was waiting my father alone in a street, at night. They came from the bar across the streets to ask me if I was okay. They were really nice. We have a our program done. We will spend a few days in Montreal, but less in Ottawa, because it seems less interesting (no offence, but my friend and I really like the old stuff ), and the rest of the time, we will be in the country house of my cousin, and in national park ! AND WE WILL GO WHALES WATCHING ! I dream about it since I am 5 years old, I've always been passionate by whales ! It's really a little girl dream... Little girl want to be princess, I wanted to be a whales xD I found a great website that give the accessibility of Montreal and I decided to take my wheelchair the whole time. At worst I'll walk. In Montreal, we planned to see museums, churches, and also a kind of big garden ? And then go and listen to jazz ! I play trumpet in a jazz band that mixes jazz and various traditional music (Arabic, Andalusian, Cuban ...), so Montreal is really the place to be for me :D We read a guide, and we decided to try especially international restaurants (Asian, Italian, etc ...) because in my town, there is nothing for eating good non-french food. And of course smoked meat. And burger. To choose the church for Mass on Sunday, I think I will take closer to home.. I am really excited, this is the first time I go in hollidays alone with just a friend so long, and also nature looks really beautiful ! I have a little calendars to count the days until I'm in the plane... ! I just have one last question ... Ottawa and Montreal, are they highly polluted cities ? I was in Paris this week, and impossible to get out without a mask, it was horrible. I have read nothing in my guide about that, but you never know ...
MarysLittleFlower Posted June 5, 2015 Posted June 5, 2015 If you've got the time, and some money, you can get your way over to Kahnawake which is where the tomb (and a small museum) of St. Kateri Tekakwitha is. It's across the Honore Mercier bridge and it's always under repair in the summer, so factor that in to travel time/method. Since you're going to be across the street from it, you should check out the cemetery: Notre Dame des Neiges - which is the largest cemetery in Canada. http://www.cimetierenddn.org/en/ Interesting! I am planning on visiting Quebec to visit the tomb of St Br Andre and Blessed Dina Belanger... Is Kahnawake really far from Quebec City or Montreal? It would be great to visit St Kateri too. :D
MarysLittleFlower Posted June 5, 2015 Posted June 5, 2015 (edited) Thank you for taking all this time to answer me ! I meet my first Québécois two weeks ago. I was waiting my father alone in a street, at night. They came from the bar across the streets to ask me if I was okay. They were really nice. We have a our program done. We will spend a few days in Montreal, but less in Ottawa, because it seems less interesting (no offence, but my friend and I really like the old stuff ), and the rest of the time, we will be in the country house of my cousin, and in national park ! AND WE WILL GO WHALES WATCHING ! I dream about it since I am 5 years old, I've always been passionate by whales ! It's really a little girl dream... Little girl want to be princess, I wanted to be a whales xD I found a great website that give the accessibility of Montreal and I decided to take my wheelchair the whole time. At worst I'll walk. In Montreal, we planned to see museums, churches, and also a kind of big garden ? And then go and listen to jazz ! I play trumpet in a jazz band that mixes jazz and various traditional music (Arabic, Andalusian, Cuban ...), so Montreal is really the place to be for me :D We read a guide, and we decided to try especially international restaurants (Asian, Italian, etc ...) because in my town, there is nothing for eating good non-french food. And of course smoked meat. And burger. To choose the church for Mass on Sunday, I think I will take closer to home.. I am really excited, this is the first time I go in hollidays alone with just a friend so long, and also nature looks really beautiful ! I have a little calendars to count the days until I'm in the plane... ! I just have one last question ... Ottawa and Montreal, are they highly polluted cities ? I was in Paris this week, and impossible to get out without a mask, it was horrible. I have read nothing in my guide about that, but you never know ... I'm glad you have it figured out now! :D and actually I like the old stuff too... Toronto is even more modern and urban. I hope you enjoy seeing the whales regarding the pollution... I've never had to wear a mask in Ottawa. Montreal might be more polluted cause its bigger but when I went there it seemed ok... Maybe someone else knows for sure about montreal? I wouldn't say Ottawa is too polluted. Are you really sensitive to that? It can get HUMID though in the summer... And the sun can get strong. So I'd bring water / sunscreen / hat in any case. God bless! Edited June 5, 2015 by MarysLittleFlower
NadaTeTurbe Posted June 5, 2015 Author Posted June 5, 2015 When I was in Paris, the first time (I was something like 10/12), I wanted to leave because "this city is to news"... xD I can't wait to see the whales. I'm a little sensitive, like when there is a lot of pollution. Sunscreen, the first thing that I forget usually.Thanks MarysLittleFlower !
truthfinder Posted June 5, 2015 Posted June 5, 2015 Interesting! I am planning on visiting Quebec to visit the tomb of St Br Andre and Blessed Dina Belanger... Is Kahnawake really far from Quebec City or Montreal? It would be great to visit St Kateri too. :D Kahnawake is really close to Montreal. It is an Indian reservation ( and when I was there, had no road signs). It could be really costly though if you take a cab and get stuck in the bridge - so if you go, you might want to set a round trip price with a cabbie before hand.
Didacus Posted June 8, 2015 Posted June 8, 2015 (edited) I'm going one month in Québec, this year, alone with a friend. Is there any canadian here ? We will stay in Québec : Montréal, Ottawa, and in the countryside. I have ton of questions :D So, first, do I need to speak english ? or just my good french ? Is there any thing, that I shall do or not to do ? I know that french tourist are arrogant and disrespectfull and I don't want to be. And my friend How are people here ? How is seen drinking ? Smoking ? Do I need to give a lot of tip like in the US and other country, or can I never tip, like in France, Spain, Italy... ? What are interesting place to see ? Where should I eat :D ? Have a drink ? Where can I go to mass ? Is there subject that you can't speak about ? Can I speak about De Gaulle ? I looooove him but with "vive le québec libre", I don't know if he is loved or not. Is it like in the US where you can/should speak about monney, or more like in France where it is seen as rude ? Thaaaaaaaaaaanks you all ! So, first, do I need to speak english ? or just my good french ? English is fine. If the french don't respond, just ignore them. If you must speak to teh french, just tell them: Vive la Rocket! They'll essentially befriend you for life thereafter. Wearing a Montreal Canadiens hat would be helpful to this end. Is there any thing, that I shall do or not to do ? I know that french tourist are arrogant and disrespectfull and I don't want to be. And my friend How are people here ? Arrogant and disrespectful - I think you are confusing the french with the americans. No big issue there though. If you have to distinguish the french - go by smell. How is seen drinking ? Smoking ? Smoking wil lbe fine. Drinking is ok but not in the streets anymore (since about 1993) unless you are on a univeristy campus, then pretty much anything goes including nudity. Do I need to give a lot of tip like in the US and other country, or can I never tip, like in France, Spain, Italy... ? don't give tips - unless you plan to go back within a decade or so its just not worth the bother. What are interesting place to see ? None - its Quebec. Why are you going there in the first place?! what tha' fa fa fa fa fonze?!? Where should I eat :D ? Have a drink ? Any beer if fine. Poutine is ok. Everything is downhill from there. (water is safe to drink unless it is served in a plastic bottle) Where can I go to mass ? Yes - Catholics are everywhere, and probably the most courteous of all Canadiens. All good there. Look up churches in google, or Cathedrals. They have some very nice ones around Montreal. The crown piece however, is l'Oratoire St-Joseph (not sure waht the english term for it is... sorry). It is the highest peak in Montreal, so just look up and you'll find it. Is there subject that you can't speak about ? Can I speak about De Gaulle ? I looooove him but with "vive le québec libre", I don't know if he is loved or not. If you're speaking t othe french - all good. A reference to the Rocket would be better but DeGaule is loved, and Qeubec libre, for the French is all good. If you're speaking with the english you'll likely get your teeth kicked in - so approach with caution. they will rool their eyes if you mention the Rocket - best stick to references of Tim Hortons when speaking to the english. DO NOT MENTION SEPERATISTS EITHER TO FRENCH OR ENGLISH. Yo0u'll likely get confused quickly and no good can come of it from either side. Is it like in the US where you can/should speak about monney, or more like in France where it is seen as rude ? Don't mention money unless you are paying your tab. Good luck! Hope this was helpful! Edited June 8, 2015 by Didacus I wanted to edit my post.
Didacus Posted June 8, 2015 Posted June 8, 2015 When I was in Paris, the first time (I was something like 10/12), I wanted to leave because "this city is to news"... xD I can't wait to see the whales. I'm a little sensitive, like when there is a lot of pollution. Sunscreen, the first thing that I forget usually.Thanks MarysLittleFlower ! I've been to Paris. Would have been perfect if it weren't for all the flippin' tourists!!!
Didacus Posted June 8, 2015 Posted June 8, 2015 Interesting! I am planning on visiting Quebec to visit the tomb of St Br Andre and Blessed Dina Belanger... Is Kahnawake really far from Quebec City or Montreal? It would be great to visit St Kateri too. :D Take the time to visit the old Quebec (le Vieux Port, ou si tu veut, la Vielle Ville de Quebec). You get teh sensation of travelling through time when going there. Don't stay past midnight though... that's when unpleasant characters come out. And don't stick around there unless you are in a group because it can get dangerous. Lovely place during the day though. Vive l'empereur!
Didacus Posted June 8, 2015 Posted June 8, 2015 HUH..eh? Ces deux ne proviennent pas du Quebec. Plus reconnaisable au Quebec sont les Tetes a Claques: Don't try to understand them though... trust me on this one. You'll watch this comedy with Quebeckers, and even if you understand french, you will be confused while the quebeckers will be laughing short of pissing themselves.
Didacus Posted June 8, 2015 Posted June 8, 2015 oh yes in Ottawa you can try the dessert "beaver tails" if you like friend sweet things, or poutine. You can see the Rideau canal too. Sometimes they have things like the tulip festival but that's in May.. in the winter people skate on the canal. I second the notion of Beaver-tails desert. Not made with actual beavers although if you cut the tail off a beaver it grows back within two weeks.
Papist Posted June 8, 2015 Posted June 8, 2015 Ces deux ne proviennent pas du Quebec. Plus reconnaisable au Quebec sont les Tetes a Claques: Don't try to understand them though... trust me on this one. You'll watch this comedy with Quebeckers, and even if you understand french, you will be confused while the quebeckers will be laughing short of pissing themselves. Si
NadaTeTurbe Posted June 8, 2015 Author Posted June 8, 2015 I've been to Paris. Would have been perfect if it weren't for all the flippin' tourists!!! And the parisians. I'm from Toulouse I can't stand them. Thank for your answer :D I tried to watch les têtes à claques once, but... well. No. Fail.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 8, 2015 Posted June 8, 2015 (edited) Nada, are you particularly familiar with the province of Saintonge? Edit: Former province. Edited June 8, 2015 by Nihil Obstat
Didacus Posted June 8, 2015 Posted June 8, 2015 And the parisians. I'm from Toulouse I can't stand them. Thank for your answer :D I tried to watch les têtes à claques once, but... well. No. Fail. have have you tried looking at it with quebecker?
MarysLittleFlower Posted June 9, 2015 Posted June 9, 2015 I second the notion of Beaver-tails desert. Not made with actual beavers although if you cut the tail off a beaver it grows back within two weeks. Probably good to clarify that
Didacus Posted June 9, 2015 Posted June 9, 2015 Probably good to clarify that I can't imagine what has you confused?!
MarysLittleFlower Posted June 10, 2015 Posted June 10, 2015 I can't imagine what has you confused?! No I meant its good to clarify for others that beaver tails don't involve actual beavers!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now