An Old School Catholic Message Board

What to do/know about Québec and Canada ?

NadaTeTurbe

have a couple of beers, then you'll really like poutine!  if you dont like either its probably not a good idea to discuss such things :|

Nihil Obstat

Do they get Big Rock Trad in Ontario and Quebec? That is an excellent robust beer.

dominicansoul

rent a car and take a road trip from quebec to montreal, keep driving through the US border, down past adirondack park, passed albany and dont stop til you reach manhatten.  :P

rent a car and take a road trip from quebec to montreal, keep driving through the US border, down past adirondack park, passed albany and dont stop til you reach manhatten.  :P

​whatever!  Why dont you get in your car and drive up to see me.  I have a comfy couch for you to stay on and a case of cold Labatt Blue in the fridge.

dominicansoul

i'm on phatmass for less than a day, and yu already want to derail people's threads?  :/

i'm on phatmass for less than a day, and yu already want to derail people's threads?  :/

:|

we are talking about Canada

:|

Our next door neighbors are from Canada.  They are very nice.  In the winter, I shovel the sidewalk all the way to their house; and in the winter, he mows the lawn all the way to my house.

They don't say "eh", but they do say "aboot". 

And I don't know where I was going with this.. so yeah.

Spem in alium

I'm so happy I found this thread! I will be in Montreal for two weeks in July. I am actually going to be staying at the Oratory of St Joseph (I'm there for research) which is AMAZING, but I will be sure to visit other places also. One of my Canadian friends recommended I try the smoked meat and the bagels, and to visit the art museums and Old Montreal. 

truthfinder

I'm so happy I found this thread! I will be in Montreal for two weeks in July. I am actually going to be staying at the Oratory of St Joseph (I'm there for research) which is AMAZING, but I will be sure to visit other places also. One of my Canadian friends recommended I try the smoked meat and the bagels, and to visit the art museums and Old Montreal. 

​If you've got the time, and some money, you can get your way over to Kahnawake which is where the tomb (and a small museum) of St. Kateri Tekakwitha is.  It's across the Honore Mercier bridge and it's always under repair in the summer, so factor that in to travel time/method.  Since you're going to be across the street from it, you should check out the cemetery: Notre Dame des Neiges - which is the largest cemetery in Canada.  http://www.cimetierenddn.org/en/ 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Since this is the Lame board.

1.Quebec is free mason Illuminati central and all changes to the workings of the united states of america have come from people that know french speaking Canadians. 2. If you can take back Quebec for the holy mother the hole of Canada in time will come home also. 3. If we get Canada than the Free Mason Illuminati element of the U.S.A will be surrounded by Canada and Mexico and therefore will be boxed in and the devil will have no escape. 4. The first recognized free mason lodge was in France. 5. Ripley's believe it or not. 6. Everything i just said is a possible discerned from the truth in it was either the papal encyclical 'veritas splendor' or 'deus caritas est' where the pope describes in hindsight that the Magesterium sees where the latest and greatest fall of the holy roman catholic church begun, and that was in Quebec where all of a sudden the number of nuns leaving orders began and the number of new women desiring to become nuns suddenly decreased.

Gday tabby has popped in to say Peace be with you again, soooo.... Peace be with you and may the light of Gods love justify your faith and sanctify your cause.

Onward christian souls.

God is Good.

P.s. The word Magesterium is not in the U.S dictionary. Think about it. Young men and women of God rise up!

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

NadaTeTurbe

​I live in Canada :) I'll try to answer as much as I can!

In Ottawa you can get away with English or French (French alone is okay - many people in public service are required to be bilingual, but not everyone on the street might understand you). In Quebec, I'd recommend just using French.

People are generally friendly, I don't know if there's anything "not to do" that you wouldn't usually do anyway...

drinking is accepted but there are some laws maybe about not drinking in parks?? I'm not sure to be honest because I don't drink, but it's something I heard about. People generally would drink in a restaurant. Smoking on the street is tolerated but there are areas a person can't smoke - anywhere near the bus stations, etc... there are usually signs.

Tipping is the norm... around 15 percent. Pretty much everyone I know tips but only at restaurants. You don't have to tip at a coffee place etc. Only if there's an actual waitress.

In Ottawa I'd visit the Notre Dame cathedral, St Patrick's basilica is a "popular place" for Catholics and has a cool Catholic bookstore, there's also a Latin Mass parish called St Clement's for anyone into that or just interested. For tourism, people generally tour the Parliament hill and maybe the art gallery... to be honest it's not very exciting if you're from Europe. I mean it's a smaller city, and you probably have seen way more extensive art galleries or museums. A nice place to eat.. I'm not sure what kind of stuff you like... there's a nice restaurant in Gatineau (just across the border to Quebec) called Buffet des Continents.

In Montreal, I'd definitely see the Oratory and tomb of St Brother Andre :) there are also some really nice churches around the city and the area of montreal known as "old montreal" with the cobble stone streets and more "European" architecture is probably the most interesting.

In Quebec city - again I mostly just like the old part of the city... there are also some old battle related forts and things to see. The place I want to go to there is the tomb of Blessed Dina Belanger, just to add more Catholic things to see.

Regarding subjects... I wouldn't talk about money. I don't think it's considered polite here. I don't know if it is talked about in the US or only by some US tourists.. but mostly people just do "small talk" - things like "It's a nice day today", "good to meet you", etc. People generally try to be polite/friendly.

Hope that helps! :) God bless!

​Thank you for taking all this time to answer me ! 

I meet my first Québécois two weeks ago. I was waiting my father alone in a street, at night. They came from the bar across the streets to ask me if I was okay. They were really nice. 

We have a our program done. We will spend a few days in Montreal, but less in Ottawa, because it seems less interesting (no offence, but my friend and I really like the old stuff :) ), and the rest of the time, we will be in the country house of my cousin, and in national park !  AND WE WILL GO WHALES WATCHING ! I dream about it since I am 5 years old, I've always been passionate by whales ! It's really a little girl dream... Little girl want to be princess, I wanted to be a whales xD
 I found a great website that give the accessibility of Montreal and I decided to take my wheelchair the whole time. At worst I'll walk. In Montreal, we planned to see museums, churches, and also a kind of big garden ? And then go and listen to jazz ! I play trumpet in a jazz band that mixes jazz and various traditional music (Arabic, Andalusian, Cuban ...), so Montreal is really the place to be for me :D We read a guide, and we decided to try especially international restaurants (Asian, Italian, etc ...) because in my town, there is nothing for eating good non-french food. And of course smoked meat. And burger.  To choose the church for Mass on Sunday, I think I will take closer to home.. I am really excited, this is the first time I go in hollidays alone with just a friend so long, and also nature looks really beautiful ! I have a little calendars to count the days until I'm in the plane... ! 

I just have one last question ... Ottawa and Montreal, are they highly polluted cities ? I was in Paris this week, and impossible to get out without a mask, it was horrible. I have read nothing in my guide about that, but you never know ...

MarysLittleFlower

​If you've got the time, and some money, you can get your way over to Kahnawake which is where the tomb (and a small museum) of St. Kateri Tekakwitha is.  It's across the Honore Mercier bridge and it's always under repair in the summer, so factor that in to travel time/method.  Since you're going to be across the street from it, you should check out the cemetery: Notre Dame des Neiges - which is the largest cemetery in Canada.  http://www.cimetierenddn.org/en/ 

Interesting! I am planning on visiting Quebec to visit the tomb of St Br Andre and Blessed Dina Belanger... Is Kahnawake really far from Quebec City or Montreal? It would be great to visit St Kateri too. :D