An Old School Catholic Message Board

What to do/know about Québec and Canada ?

NadaTeTurbe

MarysLittleFlower

​Thank you for taking all this time to answer me ! 
I meet my first Québécois two weeks ago. I was waiting my father alone in a street, at night. They came from the bar across the streets to ask me if I was okay. They were really nice. 

We have a our program done. We will spend a few days in Montreal, but less in Ottawa, because it seems less interesting (no offence, but my friend and I really like the old stuff :) ), and the rest of the time, we will be in the country house of my cousin, and in national park !  AND WE WILL GO WHALES WATCHING ! I dream about it since I am 5 years old, I've always been passionate by whales ! It's really a little girl dream... Little girl want to be princess, I wanted to be a whales xD
 I found a great website that give the accessibility of Montreal and I decided to take my wheelchair the whole time. At worst I'll walk. In Montreal, we planned to see museums, churches, and also a kind of big garden ? And then go and listen to jazz ! I play trumpet in a jazz band that mixes jazz and various traditional music (Arabic, Andalusian, Cuban ...), so Montreal is really the place to be for me :D We read a guide, and we decided to try especially international restaurants (Asian, Italian, etc ...) because in my town, there is nothing for eating good non-french food. And of course smoked meat. And burger.  To choose the church for Mass on Sunday, I think I will take closer to home.. I am really excited, this is the first time I go in hollidays alone with just a friend so long, and also nature looks really beautiful ! I have a little calendars to count the days until I'm in the plane... ! 

I just have one last question ... Ottawa and Montreal, are they highly polluted cities ? I was in Paris this week, and impossible to get out without a mask, it was horrible. I have read nothing in my guide about that, but you never know ...

I'm glad you have it figured out now! :D and actually I like the old stuff too... Toronto is even more modern and urban. I hope you enjoy seeing the whales ;) regarding the pollution... I've never had to wear a mask in Ottawa.   Montreal might be more polluted cause its bigger but when I went there it seemed ok... Maybe someone else knows for sure about montreal? I wouldn't say Ottawa is too polluted. Are you really sensitive to that? It can get HUMID though in the summer... And the sun can get strong. So I'd bring water / sunscreen / hat in any case.

God bless! :)

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

NadaTeTurbe

When I was in Paris, the first time (I was something like 10/12), I wanted to leave because "this city is to news"... xD I can't wait to see the whales. 
I'm a little sensitive, like when there is a lot of pollution. Sunscreen, the first thing that I forget usually.

Thanks MarysLittleFlower ! 

truthfinder

Interesting! I am planning on visiting Quebec to visit the tomb of St Br Andre and Blessed Dina Belanger... Is Kahnawake really far from Quebec City or Montreal? It would be great to visit St Kateri too. :D

Kahnawake is really close to Montreal. It is an Indian reservation ( and when I was there, had no road signs). It could be really costly though if you take a cab and get stuck in the bridge - so if you go, you might want to set a round trip price with a cabbie before hand. 

I'm going one month in Québec, this year, alone with a friend. Is there any canadian here ? We will stay in Québec : Montréal, Ottawa, and in the countryside. 

I have ton of questions :D 

So, first, do I need to speak english ? or just my good french ? 
Is there any thing, that I shall do or not to do ? I know that french tourist are arrogant and disrespectfull and I don't want to be. And my friend How are people here ? 
How is seen drinking ? Smoking ? 
Do I need to give a lot of tip like in the US and other country, or can I never tip, like in France, Spain, Italy... ? 
What are interesting place to see ? 
Where should I eat :D ? Have a drink ? 
Where can I go to mass ? 
Is there subject that you can't speak about ? Can I speak about De Gaulle ? I looooove him but with "vive le québec libre", I don't know if he is loved or not. Is it like in the US where you can/should speak about monney, or more like in France where it is seen as rude ? 

Thaaaaaaaaaaanks you all ! 

So, first, do I need to speak english ? or just my good french ? 

English is fine.  If the french don't respond, just ignore them.

If you must speak to teh french, just tell them:  Vive la Rocket!

They'll essentially befriend you for life thereafter.  Wearing a Montreal Canadiens hat would be helpful to this end.

Is there any thing, that I shall do or not to do ? I know that french tourist are arrogant and disrespectfull and I don't want to be. And my friend How are people here ? 

Arrogant and disrespectful - I think you are confusing the french with the americans.  No big issue there though.

If you have to distinguish the french - go by smell.

How is seen drinking ? Smoking ? 

Smoking wil lbe fine.  Drinking is ok but not in the streets anymore (since about 1993) unless you are on a univeristy campus, then pretty much anything goes including nudity.

Do I need to give a lot of tip like in the US and other country, or can I never tip, like in France, Spain, Italy... ? 

don't give tips - unless you plan to go back within a decade or so its just not worth the bother.

What are interesting place to see ? 

None - its Quebec.  Why are you going there in the first place?!  what tha' fa fa fa fa fonze?!?

Where should I eat :D ? Have a drink ? 

Any beer if fine.  Poutine is ok.  Everything is downhill from there.  

(water is safe to drink unless it is served in a plastic bottle)

Where can I go to mass ? 

Yes - Catholics are everywhere, and probably the most courteous of all Canadiens.  All good there.  Look up churches in google, or Cathedrals.  They have some very nice ones around Montreal.  The crown piece however, is l'Oratoire St-Joseph (not sure waht the english term for it is...  sorry).  It is the highest peak in Montreal, so just look up and you'll find it.

Is there subject that you can't speak about ? Can I speak about De Gaulle ? I looooove him but with "vive le québec libre", I don't know if he is loved or not.

If you're speaking t othe french - all good.  A reference to the Rocket would be better but DeGaule is loved, and Qeubec libre, for the French is all good.

If you're speaking with the english you'll likely get your teeth kicked in - so approach with caution.  they will rool their eyes if you mention the Rocket - best stick to references of Tim Hortons when speaking to the english.

DO NOT MENTION SEPERATISTS EITHER TO FRENCH OR ENGLISH.  Yo0u'll likely get confused quickly and no good can come of it from either side.

Is it like in the US where you can/should speak about monney, or more like in France where it is seen as rude ? 

Don't mention money unless you are paying your tab.

Good luck!  Hope this was helpful!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDAXFL_foov3u_pQIxV2v

richard0902.jpg

Edited by Didacus
I wanted to edit my post.

When I was in Paris, the first time (I was something like 10/12), I wanted to leave because "this city is to news"... xD I can't wait to see the whales. 
I'm a little sensitive, like when there is a lot of pollution. Sunscreen, the first thing that I forget usually.

Thanks MarysLittleFlower ! 

​I've been to Paris.

Would have been perfect if it weren't for all the flippin' tourists!!!

Interesting! I am planning on visiting Quebec to visit the tomb of St Br Andre and Blessed Dina Belanger... Is Kahnawake really far from Quebec City or Montreal? It would be great to visit St Kateri too. :D

Take the time to visit the old Quebec (le Vieux Port, ou si tu veut, la Vielle Ville de Quebec).

You get teh sensation of travelling through time when going there.

Don't stay past midnight though... that's when unpleasant characters come out.  And don't stick around there unless you are in a group because it can get dangerous.  Lovely place during the day though.

Vive l'empereur!

HUH..eh?

4EGoY.png

​Ces deux ne proviennent pas du Quebec.

Plus reconnaisable au Quebec sont les Tetes a Claques:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSc3t6beO30ZD9C5u84kwj

Don't try to understand them though... trust me on this one.  You'll watch this comedy with Quebeckers, and even if you understand french, you will be confused while the quebeckers will be laughing short of pissing themselves.

oh yes in Ottawa you can try the dessert "beaver tails" if you like friend sweet things, or poutine. You can see the Rideau canal too. Sometimes they have things like the tulip festival but that's in May.. in the winter people skate on the canal.

​ I second the notion of Beaver-tails desert.

Not made with actual beavers although if you cut the tail off a beaver it grows back within two weeks.

​Ces deux ne proviennent pas du Quebec.

Plus reconnaisable au Quebec sont les Tetes a Claques:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSc3t6beO30ZD9C5u84kwj

Don't try to understand them though... trust me on this one.  You'll watch this comedy with Quebeckers, and even if you understand french, you will be confused while the quebeckers will be laughing short of pissing themselves.

​Si

NadaTeTurbe

​I've been to Paris.

Would have been perfect if it weren't for all the flippin' tourists!!!

​And the parisians. I'm from Toulouse I can't stand them. 

Thank for your answer :D 

I tried to watch les têtes à claques once, but... well. No. Fail. 

Nihil Obstat

Nada, are you particularly familiar with the province of Saintonge?

Edit: Former province.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

​And the parisians. I'm from Toulouse I can't stand them. 

Thank for your answer :D 

I tried to watch les têtes à claques once, but... well. No. Fail. 

​have have you tried looking at it with quebecker?

MarysLittleFlower

​ I second the notion of Beaver-tails desert.

Not made with actual beavers although if you cut the tail off a beaver it grows back within two weeks.

Probably good to clarify that :o

MarysLittleFlower

​I can't imagine what has you confused?!

:huh:

No I meant its good to clarify for others that beaver tails don't involve actual beavers!