An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope to canonize two Palestinian nuns

vee

Chiquitunga

And here is the complete English biography on her, http://www.amazon.com/Mariam-little-Arab-Crucified-1846-1878/dp/B00070U9GI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431923921&sr=8-1&keywords=mariam+the+little+arab  They have a new printing of it at the Carmel in Bethlehem, although unfortuntely it doesn't have any pictures like this version does. But the Carmel in Eugene, OR which did the English translation may still have copies of this one.

Also, a nice summary of it, http://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/2010/07/blessed-mariam-baouardy-little-arab-and.html 

St. Mariam Baouardy/Mary of Jesus Crucifed, pray for us! 

Edited by Chiquitunga

Hi FP, yes I am around :wave:

I find it interesting that St Mariam is most often portrayed in the white veil of a novice.  Even the statue of her at her Carmel has her with the white veil although she did take final vows.

Bl.+Mariam+Baouardy2.jpg

emvideo-youtube-k8gIGTQKsXI.jpg

Vee, might this not be because she was a lay sister, as they were then called? I don't think Carmelite lay sisters used to wear white veils (Maryam was photographed often enough in black) but I know that in other orders it was a way of differentiating them from the choir nuns. Perhaps the artists want to emphasise that she was not a choir nun.

It's been a beautiful few days of celebration for us here in Bethlehem. Unfortunately I came down with a fever in the middle of everything and didn't enjoy our parish party much (despite there being a most amazing cake in the shape of a dove, to symbolise Maryam's devotion to the Paraclete!) but I was able to attend a Mass in honour of the canonisation and that was something special. One friend of mine, who grew up across the street from the Carmelite monastery and knew the community before she could walk, was telling me how when she was fourteen years old the prioress waived the rule of enclosure for her and took her into the monastery to pray in St Maryam's cell. I know no one else who has been able to go there and we were all pretty envious.

I've just double-checked, and apparently Carmelite lay sisters did retain their white veils. Maryam entered as a lay sister but was made a choir sister at the insistence of her superiors at one point, although she didn't want this herself and was later able to return to her former lay sister status. So this explains the mystery of the different coloured veils. :)

Thanks for clearing that up beatitude.  I didnt realize she had gone from lay sister to choir sister and back again! :topsy:

Thats too bad you werent able to participate in things as much as you wouldve liked because you were ill.  Hopefully you feel better now and how blessed are you to be in that area anyway!  What an amazing experience for your friend to be able to go to her cell.