An Old School Catholic Message Board

Petition to Cancel Anti-Catholic Sit-Com

Not A Mallard

Not A Mallard

Christians are always trying to get other Christians to do stupid things "because don't you want to stand up for Jesus?" Or similar games of chicken. 

In fact not only does this stupid thing not accomplish anything, it actually produces the opposite of the desired effect. 

When we do we work on the "wise as serpents" part of the instructions?

​I was too scrupulous not to post it. Now you're gonna make me scrupulous for even posting it.

Edited by Not A Mallard

Ash Wednesday

Not a Mallard, don't let yourself feel too troubled over posting about this. Regardless of the efficacy of petitions, at the very least having an awareness of it will allow people to keep it in their prayer intentions.

Basilisa Marie

Ugh it looks so stupid and potentially really offensive. It might not be as offensive as the teaser makes it out to be... maybe? It mostly seems like a family who were keeping up the image of being devout Catholics but weren't actually living it. I hope the show gives a better impression of real people of faith. But I doubt it. 

​I was too scrupulous not to post it. Now you're gonna make me scrupulous for even posting it.

Let's be honest, I'm not making you scrupulous, you're making yourself scrupulous. When these feelings start controlling your behavior it's time to reach out to a health professional. 

PhuturePriest

Let's be honest, I'm not making you scrupulous, you're making yourself scrupulous. When these feelings start controlling your behavior it's time to reach out to a health professional. 

​"Let's be honest, I'm not making you clinically depressed, you're making yourself clinically depressed." 

See how stupid and offensive that was? Because that's what you did but with scrupulosity. Scrupulosity is a mental issue, and blaming it on the person is so disgusting that I'm quite honestly speechless right now.

​"Let's be honest, I'm not making you clinically depressed, you're making yourself clinically depressed." 

See how stupid and offensive that was? Because that's what you did but with scrupulosity. Scrupulosity is a mental issue, and blaming it on the person is so disgusting that I'm quite honestly speechless right now.

I'm not blaming. Just like nobody on the Internet (or in real life) can "make" you clinically depressed with a sad conversation, nobody on the Internet (or in real life) can "make" you scrupulous with a discussion about sin.

True scrupulosity (as opposed to simply being hyper aware of the possibility of sin) is essentially an anxiety disorder. It is an internally produced phenomenon, if it was situational anxiety "caused" by an external someone or something, it wouldn't be as intractable or as devastating.

I know of what I speak dude. Especially because it's common to combine anxiety problems with avoidance, it can be hard to come to terms with the fact your brain is messing things up for you. Instead one is tempted to rearrange the world around you to accommodate the OCD... Because then the anxiety will "go away" owaitno. 

#offtopic

#sofatsosorry

PhuturePriest

I'm not blaming. Just like nobody on the Internet (or in real life) can "make" you clinically depressed with a sad conversation, nobody on the Internet (or in real life) can "make" you scrupulous with a discussion about sin.

True scrupulosity (as opposed to simply being hyper aware of the possibility of sin) is essentially an anxiety disorder. It is an internally produced phenomenon, if it was situational anxiety "caused" by an external someone or something, it wouldn't be as intractable or as devastating.

I know of what I speak dude. Especially because it's common to combine anxiety problems with avoidance, it can be hard to come to terms with the fact your brain is messing things up for you. Instead one is tempted to rearrange the world around you to accommodate the OCD... Because then the anxiety will "go away" owaitno. 

#offtopic

#sofatsosorry

​I never said you were making him scrupulous. I said telling him that he's making himself scrupulous is a ridiculous assertion. It's one thing to recommend seeing someone, but to tell a person that their anxiety problem is their fault is wrong.

​I never said you were making him scrupulous. I said telling him that he's making himself scrupulous is a ridiculous assertion. It's one thing to recommend seeing someone, but to tell a person that their anxiety problem is their fault is wrong.

Can you highlight where I said his anxiety problem is his fault? Kthanx. 

Not A Mallard

Let's be honest, I'm not making you scrupulous, you're making yourself scrupulous.

Not A Mallard

And what's wrong with using scrupulosity to inform Catholics about a show that's making fun of them? If I need to see a health professional for acting upon my feelings to do something that I think is right, than anybody who acts upon his/her feelings to do something right needs to see a health professional.

Edited by Not A Mallard

PhuturePriest

Let's be honest, I'm not making you scrupulous, you're making yourself scrupulous.

You can say you misspoke, which you probably did. We can only assume that Not A Mallard did as well when he said you were making him scrupulous. Having dealt with scrupulosity, I know that what he meant was "Your talk of this is making my anxiety go full-blast and making me worry if I'm in mortal sin now, so please stop talking about it," not "Thanks to you I think I'm in mortal sin."