An Old School Catholic Message Board

Video Idea Brainstorming

dUSt

I know: Let's make a video about hotpink's attitude.

​I dunno. I weighed it and thought, ultimately, "someone needs to say something".

​Oh yeah, because I only suggested a video learning about mass.  Please, charge me with one of your imaginary crimes.  I'd loved to see what you come up with.  Maybe, just maybe, having a video teaching about oooooh one of the central parts of the entire faith is a good idea.

IgnatiusofLoyola

C'mon hotpink, you called Gabriela's ideas "horrible." They weren't horrible--they were just different from yours.

I don't think you should have been called a "troll," but when a thread is simply brainstorming ideas, you can't call someone else's ideas "horrible" without getting some flack over it. 

C'mon hotpink, you called Gabriela's ideas "horrible." They weren't horrible--they were just different from yours.

I don't think you should have been called a "troll," but when a thread is simply brainstorming ideas, you can't call someone else's ideas "horrible" without getting some flack over it. 

​I do feel it's horrible that the Catholic peoples can't seem just to get over the hot button issues already.  I think it's horrible that we get bashed on every forum and in every place possible for what I believe and what Catholics should believe.  I think it's horrible that so many people from Lifeteen to Dioceses have spent time, money and energy to yet again yipe at the heels hot issues and accomplish nothing.  Catholics have so many positive and cool things, its like they absoutely loose their marbles when it comes to social stuff tho...and only focus on that.

It's like there's some person that believes it's their sole duty to keep all the evil people in check by posters and vidios and songs and whatenot.  Maybe, just maybe if you lead with the stuff that is amazing about the church, rather than the mucky nasty stuff that we're all tired of hearing about, more people would be intersted.

Could someone's mind be change by a youtube video?  Sure.  Someone posted a video on here about what a man was teaching his toddler son about Santa and it swayed me.  But my mind wasn't made up.  At this point I think very few people don't have their mind made up about homosexual "marriage" or abortion or women priests or married priests or whatever.

I mean being Catholic can be cool.  It should be something you want to be a part of.  Like that french youth group that made "Catholic Style" out of Gangham Style.  I'd totally move to France if I knew french and be a part of THAT organization. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5kobTBfAdk  Why?  Because they are happy and having fun and totally LOVING Who they are.  Not obsessed with issues.

​I do feel it's horrible that the Catholic peoples can't seem just to get over the hot button issues already.  I think it's horrible that we get bashed on every forum and in every place possible for what I believe and what Catholics should believe.  I think it's horrible that so many people from Lifeteen to Dioceses have spent time, money and energy to yet again yipe at the heels hot issues and accomplish nothing.  Catholics have so many positive and cool things, its like they absoutely loose their marbles when it comes to social stuff tho...and only focus on that.

It's like there's some person that believes it's their sole duty to keep all the evil people in check by posters and vidios and songs and whatenot.  Maybe, just maybe if you lead with the stuff that is amazing about the church, rather than the mucky nasty stuff that we're all tired of hearing about, more people would be intersted.

Could someone's mind be change by a youtube video?  Sure.  Someone posted a video on here about what a man was teaching his toddler son about Santa and it swayed me.  But my mind wasn't made up.  At this point I think very few people don't have their mind made up about homosexual "marriage" or abortion or women priests or married priests or whatever.

I mean being Catholic can be cool.  It should be something you want to be a part of.  Like that french youth group that made "Catholic Style" out of Gangham Style.  I'd totally move to France if I knew french and be a part of THAT organization. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5kobTBfAdk  Why?  Because they are happy and having fun and totally LOVING Who they are.  Not obsessed with issues.

​So, after you've lured people into the Faith by showing them how "cool" it is to be Catholic, at what point would you tell them that Catholics disapprove of artificial birth control, abortion, remarriage without an annulment, and premarital and homosexual sex?

I don't entirely disagree with you. I think we need a balance. And just being who we are—happy Catholics—is a great evangelization tool. But I also think that the Church's positions on "hot-button issues" are important and need to be understood correctly, especially by people considering conversion.

And I don't think that Catholics should worry about appearing "cool" and "fun". That caters to the world's values, not Catholic values. When people are called to join the Church, they're called OUT of the world. To present to people nothing but "cool, fun" Catholicism is therefore deceptive and manipulative.

It's important to remember, also, that ultimately, Catholicism is a Faith that challenges us. Again, then, presenting it as all "cool" and "fun" makes it look misleadingly easy. In the circles I move in, people today are talking about how youth especially, but also people of all ages, are no longer looking for something easy. They're looking for challenges. Our Faith should challenge us, and Catholicism certainly does, and that in and of itself is an attraction of our Faith that ought to be put out there.

PhuturePriest

​So, after you've lured people into the Faith by showing them how "cool" it is to be Catholic, at what point would you tell them that Catholics disapprove of artificial birth control, abortion, remarriage without an annulment, and premarital and homosexual sex?

I don't entirely disagree with you. I think we need a balance. And just being who we are—happy Catholics—is a great evangelization tool. But I also think that the Church's positions on "hot-button issues" are important and need to be understood correctly, especially by people considering conversion.

And I don't think that Catholics should worry about appearing "cool" and "fun". That caters to the world's values, not Catholic values. When people are called to join the Church, they're called OUT of the world. To present to people nothing but "cool, fun" Catholicism is therefore deceptive and manipulative.

It's important to remember, also, that ultimately, Catholicism is a Faith that challenges us. Again, then, presenting it as all "cool" and "fun" makes it look misleadingly easy. In the circles I move in, people today are talking about how youth especially, but also people of all ages, are no longer looking for something easy. They're looking for challenges. Our Faith should challenge us, and Catholicism certainly does, and that in and of itself is an attraction of our Faith that ought to be put out there.

​The Church is growing very strong in the youth, coincidentally. People of my generation are taking the faith far more seriously than the previous generations of cultural Catholics. I know a fair share of cultural Catholics my age, of course, but the most devout Catholics I know are generally between the ages 16-26.

It was noted by a young guest on Church Militant recently that millenials are a very polarized generation: You're either zealous one way or the other, there are very few in-between. You're either on fire for the culture or on fire for the Church, and apathy and lukewarmness are rarely seen. That is certainly a positive thing, but it also means that our window of easy conversions are over. This next generation is going to be a very tough nut to crack, and we need to be very well versed in our faith if we want to have a fighting chance.

Edited by PhuturePriest

HopefulHeart

Video idea:  Epic Gregorian chant battles of church history. Like epic rap battles, but more Catholic.

​The problem is that these hot button topics should be handled one on one, not in a youtube video.  Their is so much hate, negativity and "bad" good theology.  The first thing is to energize.  The love of the Eucharist must take over.  Logic will never win if it is applied alone.

Video idea:  Epic Gregorian chant battles of church history. Like epic rap battles, but more Catholic.

​If I could prop this 10,000 times, I would.

​The problem is that these hot button topics should be handled one on one, not in a youtube video.  Their is so much hate, negativity and "bad" good theology.  The first thing is to energize.  The love of the Eucharist must take over.  Logic will never win if it is applied alone.

One-on-one conversation and YouTube aren't mutually exclusive. They can be used in conjunction with one another.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how you're getting on with this, @dUSt, but fwiw this is the kind of thing I love to see - and would love to see, if I were a Catholic inquirer looking for Catholic videos. It's not polemical, it's not even directly about 'presenting the faith in a video', but it does an excellent job at saying so much about the Orthodox faith using very few words. Thoughts?

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

okay got my brainstorm on, imma watch these videos get the drift go sideways punch a hole in the donut and blow out a tyre, all with my brain.lol :)

A meditation series, with pictures,video,and biblical extracts and extracts from other spiritual works going down the screen every now and again like star wars. With music in the background without words. I recommend youtube bing 'Mermaid music', great music for meditation. And yeah lets use that word ' BING' for when you want someone to check out youtube 'just bing it'. Hey add your own twist of lime or fruit flavor of your choice if my cocktail ain't to your taste.

I don't know how you're getting on with this, @dUSt, but fwiw this is the kind of thing I love to see - and would love to see, if I were a Catholic inquirer looking for Catholic videos. It's not polemical, it's not even directly about 'presenting the faith in a video', but it does an excellent job at saying so much about the Orthodox faith using very few words. Thoughts?

Marigold, where is this convent? Is it really only 15 years old? It's huge!  Is it Russian Orthodox?   By the way, my daughter took a hiking/visit the monasteries trip to Bulgaria recently.  She said that Bulgaria is absolutely beautiful.  All of the monasteries she visited (there are 120 ) were active, had monks, and the services were crowded! I don't think that she saw any nuns.

Marigold, where is this convent? Is it really only 15 years old? It's huge!  Is it Russian Orthodox?   By the way, my daughter took a hiking/visit the monasteries trip to Bulgaria recently.  She said that Bulgaria is absolutely beautiful.  All of the monasteries she visited (there are 120 ) were active, had monks, and the services were crowded! I don't think that she saw any nuns.

It's in Minsk. And yes, they have established an almost unbelievable amount in just 15 years. Truly impossible without grace. They're sort of unique in a lot of respects; they were founded in the vision of Grand Duchess Elizabeth of Moscow, who set up a convent and refuge after her husband was assassinated in the early 20th century. Her idea of combining 'Martha' and 'Mary' in a traditional-style Orthodox convent that also engaged in good works for the needy was something of a first - not that Orthodox monasteries had never done such things, quite the opposite, but it was the first time someone made an official distinction between contemplation and action, if you will. Mother Elizabeth was martyred in the revolution and the convent closed not long after. The church was turned into a cinema! But around the turn of the 1990s, the Soviet Union died, Mother Elizabeth was declared a saint, the Martha and Mary Convent was re-established - and is flourishing too - and a couple of years later, another sisterhood dedicated to being 'sisters of mercy' was founded in Minsk. And this latter sisterhood is the one featured in the video.

It's Orthodox - strictly speaking there is no such thing as 'Russian Orthodox', 'Greek Orthodox', etc. :like2: