Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have three novels on my list in English (All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, A Year of Marvellous Ways by Sarah Winman, and The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien) and two novels in Hebrew (לתרגם את חנה by Ronaldo Wrobel and תאונות by Yael Hedaya). My spiritual reading is Francis de Sales and Jane de Chantal: Letters of Spiritual Direction.

And then there is the long long list of non-fiction to be read for my PhD, but I'm not even going to go there. :P

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

My parish priest once told me, to my face, that I (and everyone) should always receive on the hand and never the tongue. Priests can say what they want. 

However if you feel uncomfortable with HP it's perfectly fine explain why and avoid it, just don't expect everyone else too. Because of the controversy around it I don't promote it in Christian circles or allow it in my classroom, although I think it's fine. 

​From a Catholic perspective we do believe that Satan is real, and that curses and the like come from him. Some people do "work magic" (for a lack of a better term) by using his "power," similar to possession and the like. Like you said not everyone who into the occult does and claims to does "magic," but some actually do. However, through prayer and the Eucharist, specially the occupation and protection of the Holy Spirit, his work is rendered powerless. 

​Quick comment--then I won't derail this thread again. To clarify, I DO believe in Satan and that there are people who worship him. I have not read in depth about Satanism so I can't comment on whether those who worship Satan can do actual "magic," although I have seen firsthand the works of evil Satanists have done as part of their worship. And, I do agree that Christ can render Satan powerless, if we ask Him.

Personally, I think HP is no more dangerous than "Cinderella" when a "fairy godmother" turns a pumpkin into a coach. However, in hindsight, I do wish J.K. Rowling had chosen to classify her main characters using totally imaginary (and meaningless) words rather than potentially "loaded" words such as "witches" and "wizards," and had not them perform "spells" but chosen some other word to describe their special powers.

As for books, I am a voracious (and fast) reader, so much so that I've read all the roughly 1,500 books in my personal library (weeded down from 2,000) at least twice--some many more than twice. I've been watching Netflix recently instead of doing as much reading to keep myself from buying books. (I'm not physically able to get to the library without paying someone to drive me.) But, even though I have seen some good movies on Netflix, in the end, I am a reader and will always prefer books to movies.

PhuturePriest
Posted

Fast readers are the worst. 

I like to read slowly and take my time with books to enjoy them. I read everything at a conversational pace, particularly if people are speaking. If it's specifically said that someone is speaking slowly, I'll read it more slowly when that person is speaking, or if a character is said to speak slowly in general. And, of course, I give each character their own voice, which greatly adds to the experience, and I don't know how you can do that if you're ripping through the pages at lightning speed.

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

Fast readers are the worst. 

​

Being a fast reader is not a character trait, it's something that simply "is." Being a fast reader was a HUGE help in college, especially since I was a history major. 

Or are you jealous? :P

Nihil Obstat
Posted

I am rather a fast reader too. It is just something that is, not something I am conscious of.

HopefulHeart
Posted

Fast readers are the worst. 

I like to read slowly and take my time with books to enjoy them. I read everything at a conversational pace, particularly if people are speaking. If it's specifically said that someone is speaking slowly, I'll read it more slowly when that person is speaking, or if a character is said to speak slowly in general. And, of course, I give each character their own voice, which greatly adds to the experience, and I don't know how you can do that if you're ripping through the pages at lightning speed.

​I tend to read slowly and at a conversational pace as well. I have to take at least several days to read a novel, unless it's a very short and/or simple work. 

​

PhuturePriest
Posted

Being a fast reader is not a character trait, it's something that simply "is." Being a fast reader was a HUGE help in college, especially since I was a history major. 

Or are you jealous? :P

​I can read fast. I've done it before, and sometimes do it if I'm reading directions in a hurry. However, I do not in any way enjoy it. I like taking my time with books and soaking them in. After all, a walk through Yellowstone gives you a much more detailed understanding of it than driving through does.

MarysLittleFlower
Posted

​Huh? I always thought that the controversy about HP was limited to illiterate Evangelical Protestants. :idontknow:

Last I heard, witches aren't real. 

It is not the issue whether they're real or not... Although there are people who practice witchcraft. The issue is that its something offensive to God but the books show it like a neutral thing that depended on how you use it. That is misleading.. My priests advised to avoid it and they are very educated well formed priests. At the end of the day, I don't feel like reading books with "good characters" who do objectively grave actions that are presented as good.. 

MarysLittleFlower
Posted

Fast readers are the worst. 

I like to read slowly and take my time with books to enjoy them. I read everything at a conversational pace, particularly if people are speaking. If it's specifically said that someone is speaking slowly, I'll read it more slowly when that person is speaking, or if a character is said to speak slowly in general. And, of course, I give each character their own voice, which greatly adds to the experience, and I don't know how you can do that if you're ripping through the pages at lightning speed.

That must be nice... I read way too hurriedly 

MarysLittleFlower
Posted

​Quick comment--then I won't derail this thread again. To clarify, I DO believe in Satan and that there are people who worship him. I have not read in depth about Satanism so I can't comment on whether those who worship Satan can do actual "magic," although I have seen firsthand the works of evil Satanists have done as part of their worship. And, I do agree that Christ can render Satan powerless, if we ask Him.

Personally, I think HP is no more dangerous than "Cinderella" when a "fairy godmother" turns a pumpkin into a coach. However, in hindsight, I do wish J.K. Rowling had chosen to classify her main characters using totally imaginary (and meaningless) words rather than potentially "loaded" words such as "witches" and "wizards," and had not them perform "spells" but chosen some other word to describe their special powers.

As for books, I am a voracious (and fast) reader, so much so that I've read all the roughly 1,500 books in my personal library (weeded down from 2,000) at least twice--some many more than twice. I've been watching Netflix recently instead of doing as much reading to keep myself from buying books. (I'm not physically able to get to the library without paying someone to drive me.) But, even though I have seen some good movies on Netflix, in the end, I am a reader and will always prefer books to movies.

If the characters were made up creatures, not humans, and had powers we don't have that are explained naturally, that would perhaps be different than having humans do witchcraft. Its a fantasy description of witchcraft but what if kids get interested in the real thing thinking its like HP. I'm thinking of myself... I almost became pagan because of a TV show, as a pre-teen.

MarysLittleFlower
Posted

My parish priest once told me, to my face, that I (and everyone) should always receive on the hand and never the tongue. Priests can say what they want. 

However if you feel uncomfortable with HP it's perfectly fine explain why and avoid it, just don't expect everyone else too. Because of the controversy around it I don't promote it in Christian circles or allow it in my classroom, although I think it's fine. 

​From a Catholic perspective we do believe that Satan is real, and that curses and the like come from him. Some people do "work magic" (for a lack of a better term) by using his "power," similar to possession and the like. Like you said not everyone who into the occult does and claims to does "magic," but some actually do. However, through prayer and the Eucharist, specially the occupation and protection of the Holy Spirit, his work is rendered powerless. 

Just to comment on priests... My priests are the type of priests I would trust. Very holy priests and well formed and traditional and loyal to the Church.

PhuturePriest
Posted

That must be nice... I read way too hurriedly 

​It makes huge plot twists, reveals, and very intense emotional moment that much better, in my opinion. I was reading a very intense moment of a book last night, and it was pretty amazing. I felt scared and anxious, as if I were the person in the book.

NadaTeTurbe
Posted

I don't control how fast I read. I just read. But I read everywhere. Eating, drinking, singing, during school, in the elevator... 

Perks of being in an electric wheelchair : you can read while you walk :P 

Nihil Obstat
Posted

​It makes huge plot twists, reveals, and very intense emotional moment that much better, in my opinion. I was reading a very intense moment of a book last night, and it was pretty amazing. I felt scared and anxious, as if I were the person in the book.

As a kid I used to have an issue where I would internalize the emotions of main characters from my books. Caused me to read books very fast because I found it difficult to stop during more depressing parts in the middle. Series of Unfortunate Events was extremely difficult to get through because it would make me so anxious and sad.

Nihil Obstat
Posted (edited)

As a kid I used to have an issue where I would internalize the emotions of main characters from my books. Caused me to read books very fast because I found it difficult to stop during more depressing parts in the middle. Series of Unfortunate Events was extremely difficult to get through because it would make me so anxious and sad.

Actually to a large extent I still do this. That is why I hate Thomas Hardy and love Jane Austen. I just do not have as much time for novels as I used to. :( My break from school reading tends to be theology. Which is certainly not a bad thing. Just a different experience to read.

Edited by Nihil Obstat
blazeingstar
Posted

If the characters were made up creatures, not humans, and had powers we don't have that are explained naturally, that would perhaps be different than having humans do witchcraft. Its a fantasy description of witchcraft but what if kids get interested in the real thing thinking its like HP. I'm thinking of myself... I almost became pagan because of a TV show, as a pre-teen.

​I take issue with that because of a few things.  You can't knock off Harry Potter without also condemning Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and A Wrinkle in Time (just to name a few).  They all contain elements of the supernatural and more.

That and culturally what we find ok changes rapidly.  In one of the later books about Anne of Green Gables (I believe Anne of the Island) Anne is horrified to find Davy (her young charge) reading a book about a Christian maryter on a Sunday and when he expresses that it's more interesting than the Bible she nearly sends him to bed without supper.  Could you even dream of a situation where that would be considered ok today?

Perhaps we haven't become more spiritually adept than back in the late 1800's but perhaps we've moved beyond that and become less suspicious and more understanding that there is so much more than just the Bible.

PhuturePriest
Posted

If the characters were made up creatures, not humans, and had powers we don't have that are explained naturally, that would perhaps be different than having humans do witchcraft. Its a fantasy description of witchcraft but what if kids get interested in the real thing thinking its like HP. I'm thinking of myself... I almost became pagan because of a TV show, as a pre-teen.

​If such things present temptation for you, then I agree 100% in not reading them. There are certain books I've deprived myself of for the same reason, in fact. Books are generally morally neutral, really. It just depends on the person and how they deal with the temptation. 

There are lines drawn, of course, when a book contains things that are mortally sinful in nature and should thus not be read by anyone.

However, all of this is besides the point. We really are bad about this on Phatmass. :P

Two books I'm very much desiring to finish are The Story of a Soul and The Cure D'Ars. I've had them for several years, but sometimes my attention span is low on very large books like those, so I haven't finished them yet. One book I tried reading but didn't like is Life of Christ by Fulton Sheen. I'm planning to try to read it again, however, as it will be a very illuminating read that I will benefit from, I'm sure.

MarysLittleFlower
Posted

​I take issue with that because of a few things.  You can't knock off Harry Potter without also condemning Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and A Wrinkle in Time (just to name a few).  They all contain elements of the supernatural and more.

That and culturally what we find ok changes rapidly.  In one of the later books about Anne of Green Gables (I believe Anne of the Island) Anne is horrified to find Davy (her young charge) reading a book about a Christian maryter on a Sunday and when he expresses that it's more interesting than the Bible she nearly sends him to bed without supper.  Could you even dream of a situation where that would be considered ok today?

Perhaps we haven't become more spiritually adept than back in the late 1800's but perhaps we've moved beyond that and become less suspicious and more understanding that there is so much more than just the Bible.

The Bible condemns witchcraft and so does the Church. that's enough for us to know. Its pretty straightforward.... Not the same at all as the example from Anne of Green Gables. Public revelation does not forbid reading a non Scripture spiritual book on Sunday. It does forbid witchcraft. I don't think that we should accept witchcraft to be less suspicious and more understanding - everything that is forbidden is so for a reason.

As for elements of the supernatural... That is not what I mean. I mean "good characters" using witchcraft as if its ok. Supernatural doesn't have to be occult or witchcraft it can be something else. The reason witchcraft is bad is because we can't manipulate creation in this way. Also it involves having a power of ourselves, not accepting miracles from God during prayer.

MarysLittleFlower
Posted

​If such things present temptation for you, then I agree 100% in not reading them. There are certain books I've deprived myself of for the same reason, in fact. Books are generally morally neutral, really. It just depends on the person and how they deal with the temptation. 

There are lines drawn, of course, when a book contains things that are mortally sinful in nature and should thus not be read by anyone.

However, all of this is besides the point. We really are bad about this on Phatmass. :P

Two books I'm very much desiring to finish are The Story of a Soul and The Cure D'Ars. I've had them for several years, but sometimes my attention span is low on very large books like those, so I haven't finished them yet. One book I tried reading but didn't like is Life of Christ by Fulton Sheen. I'm planning to try to read it again, however, as it will be a very illuminating read that I will benefit from, I'm sure.

I guess the issue for me is that since witchcraft is a grave sin, for me books that show it as if it was good are not neutral, but misleading... I'd have the same reaction if a book promoted lying, impurity, etc. Or the new age. I found a kids book about psychics one time. Really sad. I don't think its different for witchcraft... I mean actual witchcraft not supernatural stuff that's ok. 

I do love Story of a Soul and St John Vianney :D have you read his Little Catechism?

Posted

Fast readers are the worst. 

I like to read slowly and take my time with books to enjoy them. I read everything at a conversational pace, particularly if people are speaking. If it's specifically said that someone is speaking slowly, I'll read it more slowly when that person is speaking, or if a character is said to speak slowly in general. And, of course, I give each character their own voice, which greatly adds to the experience, and I don't know how you can do that if you're ripping through the pages at lightning speed.

​I read extremely fast by most people's standards and have a near-photographic memory for text. But it doesn't feel fast to me. It feels like a natural pace. When I consciously go faster I feel how you describe, but my natural pace is fine - I soak up the story and the atmosphere and get really absorbed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...