An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading

HopefulHeart

150 or so pages into the very large Anna Karenina, which I am enjoying immensely. Not sure what I'll read after that. I've been really into Russian literature lately.

​Anna Karenina is amazing ! Have you read "Childhood, Boyhood, Youth" by Tolstoy ? It's his autobiography. Worth reading. Resurrection by Tolstoy is very good, and it speak about Christ. And War and Peace are very good, if you have one month entirely free to read it ! 

​Meh, forget Tolstoy. He pales in comparison to Dostoyevsky.

HopefulHeart

I just finished Georgette Heyer's Frederica, which was a delightful story. After reading Wodehouse and Heyer, I think I need a break from the antics of the British upper classes, so I picked up The Power and the Glory. It's my first Graham Greene novel, and I'm interested to see what I think of it. :)

Ancilla Domini

I just finished Georgette Heyer's Frederica, which was a delightful story. After reading Wodehouse and Heyer, I think I need a break from the antics of the British upper classes, so I picked up The Power and the Glory. It's my first Graham Greene novel, and I'm interested to see what I think of it. :)

​I read The Power and the Glory this academic year. Great book! I loved it.

HopefulHeart

​I read The Power and the Glory this academic year. Great book! I loved it.

​Cool, I'm excited to get into it. :)

NadaTeTurbe

​Meh, forget Tolstoy. He pales in comparison to Dostoyevsky.

​Dostoïevsky's good, but Tolstoy have strenght. Also, Anna Karenina is basically a Jane Austen book settled in Russia. 

Anyway, in russian author, I like Solzhenitsyn (One Day in the LIfe of Ivan Denisovich), because my father stopped supporting communism after reading it.  

Not The Philosopher

My biggest problem with Tolstoy is that pretty much every modern mainstream literary author wants to be Tolstoy. There are too many realist tomes littering the landscape.

In other news, I'm onto the second Lensman novel. This is great stuff - super pulpy, but fun nonetheless.

HopefulHeart

I finished The Power and the Glory. It was a very thought-provoking novel, definitely worth a reread at some point.

I am about to begin Eifelheim, by Michael Flynn. It's a science fiction novel, apparently about the arrival of aliens in a German town during the Black Death. It sounds really interesting, and I've heard that there are Catholic themes in the novel as well.

For fun I am reading the Throne of Glass Series. I am one the last one, good, fun read for the start of the summer. For spiritual reading I am reading St. Faustina's Diary and Glories to Mary by St. Alphonus (sp?). That's all for right now. 

HopefulHeart

I read another P.G. Wodehouse novel, Very Good, Jeeves! I am really enjoying the Jeeves stories and the TV series.

I'm over halfway through Eifelheim, which I mentioned in my last post. It took me a while to get into the story, but now I am finding it very intriguing. I'm interested to see how it will end and what my overall impression of the book will be.

NadaTeTurbe

I just bouht Death comes to Pemberley by P.D James 

Now I'm reading a book by George Duby, a famous historian of Middle Age. I'm not a medievist, but I like it. 

MarysLittleFlower

Meh, forget Tolstoy. He pales in comparison to Dostoyevsky.

I agree.. I like Dostoevsky much better.

MarysLittleFlower

Dostoïevsky's good, but Tolstoy have strenght. Also, Anna Karenina is basically a Jane Austen book settled in Russia. 
Anyway, in russian author, I like Solzhenitsyn (One Day in the LIfe of Ivan Denisovich), because my father stopped supporting communism after reading it.  

that's cool about your dad and Solzhenitsyn :)

I read another P.G. Wodehouse novel, Very Good, Jeeves! I am really enjoying the Jeeves stories and the TV series.

I'm over halfway through Eifelheim, which I mentioned in my last post. It took me a while to get into the story, but now I am finding it very intriguing. I'm interested to see how it will end and what my overall impression of the book will be.

You've never experienced a P.G. Wodehouse Jeeves novel until you've the free audiobook(s) at Librivox, read by this dude:

https://librivox.org/my-man-jeeves-by-p-g-wodehouse/

Edited by Seven77