MarysLittleFlower Posted July 6, 2015 Posted July 6, 2015 (edited) I have something to add about Tolstoy and Dostoevsky .. Upon more thought I have some difficulties with both sadly. Tolstoy seemed to disagree with some basic Christian beliefs... And though Dostoevsky accepted these beliefs (which is good), as I did some research I found that he highly disliked the Catholic Church. This is according to his letters and also some characters statements (Prince Myshkin, Ivan). Prince Myshkin apparently said in the book that theCatholic Church follows the anti-Christ, which shocked me - i dont think this is a statement of the Orthodox either and could have been avoided. i I just found that sad and its something I didn't really know before today. Its too bad cause his writing has many good qualities and I always liked him before, but now that i found this out I feel disappointed Edited July 6, 2015 by MarysLittleFlower
Basilisa Marie Posted July 6, 2015 Posted July 6, 2015 I picked up The Nazi Officer's Wife in an airport and read that on a plane. It was pretty good and really interesting to read a different kind of holocaust memoir where she basically survived the Holocaust by assuming an Aryan identity. On my return flight I picked up Neil Gaiman's American Gods, and I'm about halfway through it. I think I might have enjoyed this better if I had read it when I was in college, but it's still not bad.
Credo in Deum Posted July 6, 2015 Posted July 6, 2015 I just picked up: "The Noonday Devil: Acedia, the Unnamed Evil of Our Time" by Dom Jean-Charles Nault O.S.B.
puellapaschalis Posted July 6, 2015 Posted July 6, 2015 I just picked up: "The Noonday Devil: Acedia, the Unnamed Evil of Our Time" by Dom Jean-Charles Nault O.S.B. Review pls kthx
Archaeology cat Posted July 6, 2015 Posted July 6, 2015 I've been reading the Lord Powerscourt series by David Dickinson. I'm on Death of a Pilgrim, which surprised me by being about a group of pilgrims making the Camino. We'll see how it ends up. @Basilisa Marie - I'll have to check out The Nazi Officer's Wife.
OnlySunshine Posted July 6, 2015 Posted July 6, 2015 I am using this downtime in the summer to get through the 8-book series of Outlander. Currently, I am on the 4th book (Drums of Autumn) and, even though I just started, I am already more than halfway through the 880 pages. I read it on Kindle so I am 60% of the way through. I can't wait to get to the 5th book (The Fiery Cross).
HopefulHeart Posted July 6, 2015 Author Posted July 6, 2015 I picked up an Agatha Christie novel, The Body in the Library. Christie is one of my favorite authors to read for fun. This book is pretty short, so I should finish it within a few days.
Credo in Deum Posted July 6, 2015 Posted July 6, 2015 Review pls kthx http://www.ignatius.com/Products/NDEV-P/the-noonday-devil.aspx http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/158617939X/ref=mw_dp_cr
Nihil Obstat Posted July 6, 2015 Posted July 6, 2015 Just got McIntyre's After Virtue and von Hildebrand's Devastated Vineyard.
marigold Posted July 6, 2015 Posted July 6, 2015 I have something to add about Tolstoy and Dostoevsky .. Upon more thought I have some difficulties with both sadly. Tolstoy seemed to disagree with some basic Christian beliefs... And though Dostoevsky accepted these beliefs (which is good), as I did some research I found that he highly disliked the Catholic Church. This is according to his letters and also some characters statements (Prince Myshkin, Ivan). Prince Myshkin apparently said in the book that theCatholic Church follows the anti-Christ, which shocked me - i dont think this is a statement of the Orthodox either and could have been avoided. i I just found that sad and its something I didn't really know before today. Its too bad cause his writing has many good qualities and I always liked him before, but now that i found this out I feel disappointed The Orthodox Church does not teach that the Catholic Church follows the Antichrist.
MarysLittleFlower Posted July 6, 2015 Posted July 6, 2015 (edited) The Orthodox Church does not teach that the Catholic Church follows the Antichrist. Of course not! Edited July 6, 2015 by MarysLittleFlower
OnlySunshine Posted July 7, 2015 Posted July 7, 2015 I picked up an Agatha Christie novel, The Body in the Library. Christie is one of my favorite authors to read for fun. This book is pretty short, so I should finish it within a few days. I love Agatha Christie. My mom and I are big fans of the Poirot series starring David Suchet. My favorite stories are "And Then There Were None" and "Murder on the Orient Express." I think the B&W version of the ATTWN movie was neat to watch but the Suchet version of MOE was disappointing (too dark). I liked "Murder in the Mews" starring Suchet.
HopefulHeart Posted July 7, 2015 Author Posted July 7, 2015 (edited) I love Agatha Christie. My mom and I are big fans of the Poirot series starring David Suchet. My favorite stories are "And Then There Were None" and "Murder on the Orient Express." I think the B&W version of the ATTWN movie was neat to watch but the Suchet version of MOE was disappointing (too dark). I liked "Murder in the Mews" starring Suchet. I also really like And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express. Another one of my favorites is The Man in the Brown Suit, which is more an adventure/thriller novel than a whodunit. Like you, I enjoyed the B&W version of ATTWN but disliked the Suchet MOE. I should check out more of the Suchet Poirot series; MOE is the only one I've seen. Edited July 7, 2015 by HopefulHeart
OnlySunshine Posted July 7, 2015 Posted July 7, 2015 I also really like And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express. Another one of my favorites is The Man in the Brown Suit, which is more an adventure/thriller novel than a whodunit. Like you, I enjoyed the B&W version of ATTWN but disliked the Suchet MOE. I should check out more of the Suchet Poirot series; MOE is the only one I've seen. Definitely check it out. There are several on Netflix. I'm sure you'll like these episodes: Murder in the Mews Mysterious Affair at Styles The ABC Murders Dumb Witness After Season 6, though, the episodes are not nearly as fun to watch since Miss Lemon and Captain Hastings are no longer around.
HopefulHeart Posted July 7, 2015 Author Posted July 7, 2015 Definitely check it out. There are several on Netflix. I'm sure you'll like these episodes: Murder in the Mews Mysterious Affair at Styles The ABC Murders Dumb Witness After Season 6, though, the episodes are not nearly as fun to watch since Miss Lemon and Captain Hastings are no longer around. Cool, thanks for the recommendations!
Not The Philosopher Posted July 7, 2015 Posted July 7, 2015 Just finished the fourth Lensman novel. Took a (very short) break after the third one to read H.G. Wells' Time Machine. Only two more to go now! I'm undecided if I should just go right for the finish line, or turn elsewhere for a bit. These books are fun, but Smith's purple prose is not without side effects on me.
CatherineM Posted July 8, 2015 Posted July 8, 2015 I picked up an Agatha Christie novel, The Body in the Library. Christie is one of my favorite authors to read for fun. This book is pretty short, so I should finish it within a few days. I loved Agatha Christie as a kid. I'd read them all by the time I was 10. Once I knew how they ended, I lost interest and moved on to other mystery writers.
HopefulHeart Posted July 12, 2015 Author Posted July 12, 2015 I've been rereading parts of my all-time favorite series, the Betsy-Tacy series, by Maud Hart Lovelace. I grew up with these books and love them so much.
HopefulHeart Posted July 29, 2015 Author Posted July 29, 2015 I read two modern American classics for the first time: Fahrenheit 451 and To Kill a Mockingbird. I really enjoyed both of them. Fahrenheit 451 was quite prescient. Now I'm reading a novel by Daphne du Maurier, The House on the Strand. I just started, and I don't know much about it other than that it involves time travel.
OnlySunshine Posted July 29, 2015 Posted July 29, 2015 I am using this downtime in the summer to get through the 8-book series of Outlander. Currently, I am on the 4th book (Drums of Autumn) and, even though I just started, I am already more than halfway through the 880 pages. I read it on Kindle so I am 60% of the way through. I can't wait to get to the 5th book (The Fiery Cross). I finished "Drums of Autumn" about 2 weeks ago and I am currently reading the 5th book of the series, "The Fiery Cross." I'm about 35% of the way through. These books are hard to "put down" (reading on my Kindle app). I reckon I will be finished with the book in the next week or so now that I'm in intersession and I have about 4 weeks before my internship (not working either).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now