An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading

HopefulHeart

MarysLittleFlower

The Orthodox Church does not teach that the Catholic Church follows the Antichrist.

Of course not! :)  

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

OnlySunshine

I picked up an Agatha Christie novel, The Body in the Library. Christie is one of my favorite authors to read for fun. This book is pretty short, so I should finish it within a few days.

I love Agatha Christie.  My mom and I are big fans of the Poirot series starring David Suchet.  My favorite stories are "And Then There Were None" and "Murder on the Orient Express."  I think the B&W version of the ATTWN movie was neat to watch but the Suchet version of MOE was disappointing (too dark).  I liked "Murder in the Mews" starring Suchet.  :)

HopefulHeart

I love Agatha Christie.  My mom and I are big fans of the Poirot series starring David Suchet.  My favorite stories are "And Then There Were None" and "Murder on the Orient Express."  I think the B&W version of the ATTWN movie was neat to watch but the Suchet version of MOE was disappointing (too dark).  I liked "Murder in the Mews" starring Suchet.  :)

I also really like And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express. Another one of my favorites is The Man in the Brown Suit, which is more an adventure/thriller novel than a whodunit. Like you, I enjoyed the B&W version of ATTWN but disliked the Suchet MOE. I should check out more of the Suchet Poirot series; MOE is the only one I've seen. :)

Edited by HopefulHeart

OnlySunshine

I also really like And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express. Another one of my favorites is The Man in the Brown Suit, which is more an adventure/thriller novel than a whodunit. Like you, I enjoyed the B&W version of ATTWN but disliked the Suchet MOE. I should check out more of the Suchet Poirot series; MOE is the only one I've seen. :)

Definitely check it out.  There are several on Netflix.  I'm sure you'll like these episodes:

• Murder in the Mews
  • Mysterious Affair at Styles
  • The ABC Murders
  • Dumb Witness

After Season 6, though, the episodes are not nearly as fun to watch since Miss Lemon and Captain Hastings are no longer around.  :(

HopefulHeart

Definitely check it out.  There are several on Netflix.  I'm sure you'll like these episodes:

• Murder in the Mews
  • Mysterious Affair at Styles
  • The ABC Murders
  • Dumb Witness

After Season 6, though, the episodes are not nearly as fun to watch since Miss Lemon and Captain Hastings are no longer around.  :(

Cool, thanks for the recommendations! :)

Not The Philosopher

Just finished the fourth Lensman novel. Took a (very short) break after the third one to read H.G. Wells' Time Machine. Only two more to go now!

I'm undecided if I should just go right for the finish line, or turn elsewhere for a bit. These books are fun, but Smith's purple prose is not without side effects on me.

CatherineM

I picked up an Agatha Christie novel, The Body in the Library. Christie is one of my favorite authors to read for fun. This book is pretty short, so I should finish it within a few days.

I loved Agatha Christie as a kid. I'd read them all by the time I was 10.  Once I knew how they ended, I lost interest and moved on to other mystery writers.

HopefulHeart

I've been rereading parts of my all-time favorite series, the Betsy-Tacy series, by Maud Hart Lovelace. I grew up with these books and love them so much.

• 3 weeks later...
HopefulHeart

I read two modern American classics for the first time: Fahrenheit 451 and To Kill a Mockingbird. I really enjoyed both of them. Fahrenheit 451 was quite prescient.

Now I'm reading a novel by Daphne du Maurier, The House on the Strand. I just started, and I don't know much about it other than that it involves time travel.

OnlySunshine

I am using this downtime in the summer to get through the 8-book series of Outlander.  Currently, I am on the 4th book (Drums of Autumn) and, even though I just started, I am already more than halfway through the 880 pages.  I read it on Kindle so I am 60% of the way through.  I can't wait to get to the 5th book (The Fiery Cross).

I finished "Drums of Autumn" about 2 weeks ago and I am currently reading the 5th book of the series, "The Fiery Cross."  I'm about 35% of the way through.  These books are hard to "put down" (reading on my Kindle app).  I reckon I will be finished with the book in the next week or so now that I'm in intersession and I have about 4 weeks before my internship (not working either).

• 2 weeks later...
HopefulHeart

Now I'm reading a novel by Daphne du Maurier, The House on the Strand. I just started, and I don't know much about it other than that it involves time travel.

I finished The House on the Strand and really enjoyed it. It was about a British man who takes a drug that transports him to the 14th century. As he becomes attached to the drug and to the people from the past, the past and the present start to blend for him. A very interesting concept, and the ending was well done.

My current read is Mythology, by Edith Hamilton. I am considering a minor in Classics, and classical mythology has begun to fascinate me.

• 1 year later...
Hna.Caridad

Resurrecting an old thread to share a book recommendation…

I recently finished “The Radium Girls” by Kate Moore.  Unfortunately, it’s a true story.  Due to the author’s skill at writing, it kept me up late into the night reading & telling myself “just one more chapter”.

This is an important book and gives a glimpse at what unbridled capitalism did & would continue to do if there weren’t regulations in place.  Incidentally, it took a woman in England to write this significant, yet forgotten piece of U.S. history.

Assigned reading, but I'll be reading "Soul of the Apostolate" this summer. I'm really looking forward to it, I've heard a lot of good things. 

HopefulHeart

I might as well contribute to my old thread! It's fun to look back and see what I was reading two years ago. 

Earlier this year I read All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr, and Julian, by Gore Vidal. They were both great historical novels! I also recently read All Creatures Great and Small, by James Herriot, which was delightful. My upcoming summer reading includes a few British novels from the twentieth century and some pieces on Dominican monasticism, since I'll visit a monastery in July. :)