An Old School Catholic Message Board

Insights from the Life of a Franciscan Sister

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

I am not a vocation directness nor am I really in a decision making position, besides decisions on our blog, etc.  Thanks, though.

sr.christinaosf

“…More than watchmen count on daybreak”- Reflections on Psalm 130

Re-printed from Our Franciscan Fiat
Last night (or rather, early this morning) , as I waited for the nurse to come in at 5 so I could go sleep, I called to mind these beautiful words from Psalm 130. This psalm was fresh in mind since we have been praying it each evening lately for one of our deceased Sisters; we have the practice of doing this for a week whenever a Sister from our international congregation dies.

To quote more fully from the psalm: “My soul is waiting for the Lord, I count on His word. My soul is longing for the Lord, more than watchmen for daybreak. Let the watchman count on daybreak and Israel on the Lord.”

Anyway, this morning, I had finished my work and was just standing in the hallway waiting for the nurse to come. I was quite tired since I hadn’t slept for nearly 24 hours. I could really relate to this passage and thought: “So this is how the watchmen referred to in the psalm felt.”

What does this tell us, then, about how we are to “wait for the Lord” and “count on his word?” We should do so with eagerness. For the watchman (and for me last night), dawn could not come too soon! We are to have our focus on Christ and count on Him, eagerly! Just as I knew dawn would come, the nurse would arrive, and I could go rest, so we know that He will be there for us.

Let us count on Him; He is the dawn we hope for!

Sister Christina M. Neumann

oooh I love the De Profundis  Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. :)  The community Im discerning with prays it everyday and I loved that aspect of praying for those who have died, or are dying that day. 

In case anyone wants to read the whole thing Ill post it here

Out of the depths I cry to You, O Lord; Lord, hear my voice!
Let Your ears be attentive
to my voice in supplication:

If You, O Lord, mark iniquities,
Lord, who can stand?
But with You is forgiveness,
that You may be revered.

I trust in the Lord;
my soul trusts in His word.
My soul waits for the Lord
more than sentinels wait for the dawn.

More than sentinels wait for the dawn,
let Israel wait for the Lord.
For with the Lord is kindness,
and with Him is plenteous redemption;
And He will redeem Israel
from all their iniquities."

“…More than watchmen count on daybreak”- Reflections on Psalm 130

To quote more fully from the psalm: “My soul is waiting for the Lord, I count on His word. My soul is longing for the Lord, more than watchmen for daybreak. Let the watchman count on daybreak and Israel on the Lord.”

Anyway, this morning, I had finished my work and was just standing in the hallway waiting for the nurse to come. I was quite tired since I hadn’t slept for nearly 24 hours. I could really relate to this passage and thought: “So this is how the watchmen referred to in the psalm felt.”

yes, I love this psalm. We sing it for compline once a week and during advent time with a special antiphon that makes you really feel that one "longs for the Lord".

I also often have in my mind Jesaja 62, 6:

"I have posted watchmen on your walls, Jerusalem; they will never be silent day or night. You who call on the LORD, give yourselves no rest."

For me it describes very beautifully the sense of a contemplative vocation. To be "watchwoman" over this world.

sr.christinaosf

I do kind of wonder how this psalm got to be associated with prayers for the dead.  It is such a good one for the living as well.  

It's interesting the different translations there are of it.  Sometimes when we pray it at Office (when it comes along in the four-week cycle), I want to say "Eternal Rest grant unto them.." instead of the "Glory..." and have to catch myself.

sr.christinaosf

I'm sorry this isn't the most well-written article ever.  Guess I got a little 'writer's block' :(.    

Whatever the case, don’t lick the microphone!!!

straw hat and tongueThis afternoon, I ended up calling bingo for our residents in the activity room here at St. Anne’s Guest Home.  I like to throw in a little humor and liven things up a little on the few occasions that I help out as a bingo caller.

I wear a straw hat and go by the name of “Edith” rather than “Sister Christina.”  This comes from the fact that the “church ladies” (from St. Michael’s and St. Mary’s) often call bingo on Tuesdays during the school year.  During the summer months, our activities staff and another volunteer hold bingo instead.  When I call, I’m a pretend “church lady.”  I wear a flowered straw hat and tell jokes in personification of the role.

I also like to have fun making puns with the numbers.  For example, I’ll call “B-4…Before, you shout ‘bingo’ be sure you have all the numbers.”

Besides this, and along with an occasional stray bingo ball, things were also ‘livened up’ today in a rather unsavory manner.  You see, we make it easier for our residents (some of whom are hearing-impaired) by amplifying our voice with a microphone during bingo.  This afternoon, I was speaking into the mic. and accidentally licked it – YUCK!!!

Thinking about this, as I prepared to write, reminded me of St. James’ warning about the tongue (ch. 3).  He had strong words to his readers about its use.  The tongue is, indeed, a powerful organ, for good or ill.

As I was slightly disgusted by the feel of my tongue touching the microphone at bingo today, all the more so should I be careful not to let any disgusting or harmful words pass by it.  I don’t want to say anything demeaning to the dignity of any person.

There’s a neat little quip I learned during my school years, growing up, which may be a helpful ‘tongue-guard.’  Before speaking about someone, we can ask ourselves: “Is it true?  Is it nice?  Is it necessary?  At least two out of these three questions should receive an affirmative answer before we proceed to say something.

Edited by sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

The bells of St. Anne’s…Ah, here they are calling

Last Sunday, St. Anne’s Chapel re-instated the practice of using a bell at Mass during the Eucharistic Prayer.

There were various reasons in church history which led to the ringing of bells.  Although all of them are not still in effect, the practice still can be advantageous and is even mentioned in the Church’s official General Instruction on the Roman Missal.

I read a comment that the ringing of bells in times past may have been related to the priest using a low voice; even today, hearing issues are a consideration for some of our residents.  Even for those of us with perfect hearing, the bell serves a purpose.  I know, for myself, I do not have perfect concentration, and my mind can wander even at Mass.  (I even forgot to ring the bell on Thursday; just call me a ding-a-ling!).

Now, I have to be ‘on my toes’ because the job of bell-ringer has kind of fallen to me.The ringing of a bell can serve as a kind of ‘wake-up call” to get us back on track during this very special, very holy moment that we don’t want to miss due to distraction.

Along with the purpose of reining in wandering minds, the use of the bell, I think, also can add to the sense of reverence for the sacredness of what is happening right here.  Our Franciscan Rule exhorts us “to show the greatest possible reverence and honor for the…most holy Body and Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ.”  It is hoped that this little gesture in our liturgy can contribute to this.

I thought I would close this little article with my version of the song that inspired the title.  Though a different version was sung in the 1945 classic film The Bells of St. Mary’s, I am using a modification of the original lyrics.

The bells of St. Anne’s
Ah, here they are calling
The old loves, and the true loves
that come here to be.
And so my beloved…
to our knees we are falling
The love bells shall ring out, yes, ring out
For you, yes, you and me.

sr.christinaosf

Thanks....I am kind of doubtful about this new way of adding posts onto the one single thread.  It gets so long and does not specify what it is about until a person opens it.  I think it might be better to create new threads instead.  Any thoughts?

BarbTherese

For my part, Sister, I have been very happy to follow the thread and because I am interested, opening the one thread is not a problem rather a blessing - I don't have to look around for a new thread.  Others may have other thoughts.

You opened the thread on the 15th June 2015 (27 days to current) and have had 858 viewings.  That's a good number and shows their is real interest I think.

(You can find your statistics under the thread title in Vocations Forum)

Thanks....I am kind of doubtful about this new way of adding posts onto the one single thread.  It gets so long and does not specify what it is about until a person opens it.  I think it might be better to create new threads instead.  Any thoughts?

Just speaking for myself, now that it's a single thread, I do read the posts. When it was a separate thread for every blog post, I didn't read them. :blink:

We already know roughly what it's going to be about - thoughts, musings, funny incidents from your perspective as a Franciscan sister - and that's what we are happy to read, no matter what the particular 'topic' of a post is. Just so long as you don't start slipping in subliminal messages, I think your readership works well this way :)

sr.christinaosf

I just thought I'd add...

If anyone has suggestions for future topics or feedback about what you most enjoy/find most beneficial, I am always looking for suggestions.  Thanks.

I just thought I'd add...

If anyone has suggestions for future topics or feedback about what you most enjoy/find most beneficial, I am always looking for suggestions.  Thanks.

Just your ordinary life is interesting.