An Old School Catholic Message Board

Insights from the Life of a Franciscan Sister

sr.christinaosf

:o)Katherine:o)

Please keep it a single thread! While I may not always comment, I enjoy checking this thread when I see that you have posted something new. Along with Marigold, I often missed things you posted under other threads. 

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your insights, thoughts and life. You are a blessing and joy! :nun1:

BarbTherese

Please keep it a single thread! While I may not always comment, I enjoy checking this thread when I see that you have posted something new. Along with Marigold, I often missed things you posted under other threads. 

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your insights, thoughts and life. You are a blessing and joy! :nun1:

Second the motion wholeheartedly.  Thank you very much, Sister - and yes keep it in a single thread please.

sr.christinaosf

Thanks for the comments.  I kind of felt funny using the word "insights' -  like I'm so insightful, right?  

I just had a to add something kind of random...I'm getting excited for next week.  I serve here at St Anne's Guest Home in Grand Forks, North Dakota and we're gearing up for "St. Anne's Week," in honor of what would be her feast day (July 26). Since it's a Sunday this year, it unfortunately falls off the liturgical calendar.  

Anyway, we've got some fun plans, including different themed dress up days (can't wait for sports day and pajama day) as well as a daily trivia contest.  I might just have to write up something about it on our Fiat. For now, if anyone has any other fun ideas, you can please share.  Thanks. 

sr.christinaosf

“Laundry Ladies”…what an unexpected phone call and an unplanned afternoon have in common

Double L team

Late last evening, I got a phone call from my former “junior directress,” who mentored me during my years between the end of novitiate and my final vows in 2013.  Sister Leonida has been of great assistance to me over the years, but this time, she wanted a favor from me!

Since moving back to our provincial house/St. Francis Convent (SFC) in Hankinson, she has befriended the two women who work in the main laundry room there.  She told me last night that she goes down from time to time and visits them, often bringing jokes to share.  Even though she has experienced many years of life, Sister still has a youthful sense of humor along with many other gifts.

Sister Leonida knows the propensity I have for making up names for things and people; after all, when I first came to our community, I dubbed her the “C.C.C.C.”  (consistent, careful, counter cleaner) for her diligent work cleaning up after meals.  So this time when she called, it was to ask me for name ideas.

This is because Sister Leonida had referred to the workers as ‘laundry ladies.’  They had expressed to her that they would prefer a different name.  After a brief discussion, we came up with “the Double L Team” (which stands for Laundry Laidies).  I offered to try and design a logo for them with the new name, and came up with the above image, just in time to save it and attach it in an email before turning in for the night. 

Little did I know, as I did this little graphic design project, that I would be the “laundry lady” today, due to a family emergency on the part of our regularly scheduled worker.  It’s ironic that today I got the job of collecting, sorting,checking pockets and laundering our residents’ clothing, right after my naming endeavor with Sr. Leonida.

sr.christinaosf

I wanted to share this about the fun we'll be having!  It's from my blog for our facility, The St. Anne's Scoop.

Looking forward to ‘St. Anne’s Week’

St. Anne's WeekLast year’s Sports Day

Soon we’ll be kicking off our annual week of festivities in celebration of our patron saint, that is St. Anne, the mother of Mary and Jesus’ grandmother!

I say “kicking off’ because the dress up theme for the start of the week is ‘Sports Day.’  Each day will have a dress up theme, an act of kindness, and a trivia question.  Prizes will be awarded, probably at our celebration day on Monday, July 27.

So if you stop by St. Anne’s and notice people being especially kind, or dressed kind of goofy, you’ll know why.  If you plan ahead, you can even take part yourself – take a look in your closet.

The schedule is as follows:
Monday, July 20 ~ Sports Day
Tuesday, July 21 ~ Western Day
Wednesday, July 22 ~ Wacky Hair / Hat Day
Thursday, July 23 ~ Miss-Match Day
Friday, July 24 ~ Bedtime Day
Wear blue for St. Anne’s
Saturday, July 25 ~ Patriotic (Red, White & Blue) Day
Sunday, July 26 ~ Dress-up Day
Monday, July 27 ~ Wear blue for St. Anne’s

“Street Dance” ~ Sunday, July 26 ~ 7 p.m.
Our residents will be invited to gather on our patio for some music

St. Anne’s Day Party ~ Monday, July 27 – 2 p.m.

We’re looking forward to a fun week!

sr.christinaosf

“We’re going shoplifting…I mean shopping.”

sisters shopping

This morning, I hurried after prayer to make chapel preparations for Mass before going with Sister Elaine on her bi-weekly expedition.  I normally do not do this, but I am getting ready to make special cheese cakes for our upcoming celebration of St. Anne’s Day and needed a few ingredients.

We left right away at 7 a.m. in one of the big vans to go shopping; we wanted to be back on time for our 9 a.m. Mass.  Sr. Elaine was to play the organ for the first hymn and I needed to be available to make finishing touches on the sacristy/altar preparations.

Along with many other duties, Sr. Elaine helps St. Anne’s by “shoplifting.”  Don’t worry; this does not refer to any illegal activity, but is just the term she jokingly uses to alert staff of her plans; they give her their lists of needed items and she graciously picks them up for them.

Rather than add to her burden (especially since I was a little uncertain as to what I was getting), I went with Sr. Elaine this morning and found my cream cheese and graham crackers.  I was “tickled pink” because I made a neat discovery.  I will be making some chocolate peanut butter cakes along with the raspberry ones and I wanted something for a tasty and decorative topping.  It made my morning when I saw bags of Milk Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chips…how perfect; it was exactly what I needed and I didn’t even know that such a thing existed.  It seemed that Someone was looking out for me!

Edited by sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

(Please note: We work at St. Anne's, a home for elderly and vulnerable adults.)

sr.christinaosf

Thank you.  If any one ever has suggestions please let me know; I'd appreciate them.  

sr.christinaosf

Cross prayers…reflecting on a beautiful custom

OUR FRANCISCAN FIAT                 JULY 24, 2015
Crucifix from the St. Anne's Convent Chapel

St. Anne’s Convent Chapel

Having come of age after the promulgation of the computer and during the expansion of the internet, I am prone to do my research online.  So, when I decided to write an article on the Cross Prayers, I went online to see what I could discover about the history of this beloved custom of ours.  Unfortunately, this “information highway” was sadly silent about this topic.

Our Provincial Directives (supplemental guidelines for Dillingen Franciscans in the United States) provide a little information: They encourage that “after Confession and before retiring in the evening, the Sisters say the Cross Prayer, which consists of one Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be to the Father.”

The reason, it would seem to me, that these are called “cross prayers” is that, while praying them, we extend our arms as Christ did on the cross.  Praying in this posture can serve as a reminder to us of all our Lord did for us.  To me, it serves as a call to respond in love to the love He has shown me. When praying them shortly before bed, I can be reminded to say “Thank you” to Jesus for all He did for me on the Cross and for all His blessings throughout the day.  When praying Cross Prayers after confession, I can express my gratitude for the immense graces of that sacrament won by His cross.

On Friday, a day when we especially reflect on Christ’s suffering, I thought it appropriate to reflect on this beautiful custom.

Sr. Christina M. Neumann

This was great. Thanks for sharing. If I wasn't male and a novice elsewhere I'd ask to come and pay your community a visit:cool::smile2: