Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Miles' Adventure Countdown Thread


Recommended Posts

PhuturePriest
Posted (edited)

I didn't know where else to put this. People in Vocation Station are allowed to put their countdown threads there, so this doesn't exactly merit the lame board, but the mediators can do whatever they want with it, but I guess.

It is now sixteen days until I leave. Holy carp, this is happening fast. I still don't even have my plane ticket, but I'll be getting it this weekend. 

This all seemed like a cool dream at the beginning, but the closer I get to it the more reality hits and I fully realize the gravity of leaving for a place I've never been to live with people I've never met to do a job I've never done and not go home until Christmas and then never come back home until I'm done in June of next year. 

This all seems quite daunting until I view all of this in the proper light:

1uksz7hlrbfjeg_small.gif

Edited by PhuturePriest
Credo in Deum
Posted (edited)

Man I hope your adventure has more excitement than that Hobbit movie.  Seriously he did not need to make it three movies long.  One would have done the trick.

Edited by Credo in Deum
PhuturePriest
Posted

Man I hope your adventure has more excitement than that Hobbit movie.  Seriously he did not need to make it three movies long.  One would have done the trick.

​I quite enjoyed them. I've never finished The Hobbit, but by themselves the movies are quite entertaining. 

PhuturePriest
Posted

This Friday I'm going to visit my spiritual director one last time, hopefully get my book I lent him back, and then on Saturday I'm trying out clothes, as I'll need nice clothes to work in. I really want a sweater vest, but unfortunately due to the season they probably won't have any. I am, however, most certainly getting a bow tie. 

I'm leaving this Sunday to go on my annual mission trip, and then I'll get back on the immediate Friday. I'm then going to the dentist that Monday to get my root canal finished by means of the dentist sealing off my tooth so that I'll never get it infected again, and then the next day I'm having a going-away party (Aptly named the "My Going Away Party Because Holy Carp I'm Leaving In July"), wherein I and my friends will stay up all night eating pizza from Pizza Hut, playing video games, and drinking Mountain Dew. In the description for said party, I have crying on my shoulder and begging me to stay scheduled for 4-5 in the morning, and anyone who does this before or after is sentenced to an hour locked in the dungeon that is my stone-walled basement listening to Spongebob's laugh on repeat.

Then I'm going to confession on Thursday because I'll be leaving the next day, and then I'm riding in a giant steel coffin of death at 20,000 feet in the air to land in a town that is more dangerous to be in than flying will ever be.

Posted

I had to google 'sweater vest' :rolleyes:

....known to me as a tank top here in the UK 

Very best wishes for your adventure, and a safe trip :)

Posted

You're going to grow up a lot in this one year. :) 

Posted

I had to google 'sweater vest' :rolleyes:

....known to me as a tank top here in the UK 

Very best wishes for your adventure, and a safe trip :)

​Wrong. This is a tank top:

7458A8A2.jpg

Silly Brit!

;) 

PhuturePriest
Posted

Imagine me in a sweater vest and a bow tie. 

The greatness of my hair will be only that much more magnified. 

PhuturePriest
Posted

You're going to grow up a lot in this one year. :) 

​It's going to be exciting to see how much I change in this year. The problem is I won't really be able to tell myself, so I'll need you Phat folk to tell me in which ways I've changed!

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

I'm VERY excited for you! I think this is a going to be a great opportunity.

Do you know where will you be living? In a house or apartment with other guys working for Michael Voris? With a family? And, will you be living in the suburbs or in the city? Will you have a chance to "meet" your future roommates by email before you get there?

BTW--If you really want to be a "True Brit"--Instead of a "Pause," you can call this your "Gap Year." (That's what they call it in the UK--lots of students in the UK take a year off before starting University. I think it's more more common in the UK than in the U.S.)

Whatever you call it, I think taking a year off from school before seminary could be a very good thing. You've been a student for a LONG time! Sure, you'll still be working hard, but work is different from going to school, and you'll learn different "lessons" than you would if you went straight to college. 

Also, not everyone can afford to live away from home after high school, but since you have this chance, I think it will give you a new perspective on your home and family. I'm sure there will be things you will miss, but there will probably also be some new things that you discover that you like.

 

PhuturePriest
Posted

I recommend watching the video I post in the original thread, as it explains all of the details of living arrangements.

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

I recommend watching the video I post in the original thread, as it explains all of the details of living arrangements.

​Thanks for the reminder! I forgot about that!

veritasluxmea
Posted

Did you get your plane tickets? When are you leaving? 

Posted

 

Then I'm going to confession on Thursday because I'll be leaving the next day, and then I'm riding in a giant steel coffin of death at 20,000 feet in the air 

​This is why I always go to Confession before traveling (by air, or car). Because…death. LOL. 

I hope you enjoy yourself, it'll go fast! 

Spem in alium
Posted (edited)

I had to google 'sweater vest' :rolleyes:

....known to me as a tank top here in the UK 

Very best wishes for your adventure, and a safe trip :)

​Really? Tank top? In Aus, we call it simply a "vest", or a "woolen vest" - no sweater needed. ;) And what y'all call a "tank top" is for us simply a "singlet". 

And congratulations, Miles. It sounds like it will be an amazing physical and spiritual journey for you. I'll be holding you in prayer, especially as I visit the holy places of Rome and Montreal. Pax!

 

 

 

Edited by Spem in alium
Posted

 

​Wrong. This is a tank top:

7458A8A2.jpg

Silly Brit!

;) 

Mm......that's a vest ☺️

And I have a hood on my coat........but absolutely not in my car

Posted (edited)

​Really? Tank top? In Aus, we call it simply a "vest", or a "woolen vest" - no sweater needed. ;) And what y'all call a "tank top" is for us simply a "singlet". 

And congratulations, Miles. It sounds like it will be an amazing physical and spiritual journey for you. I'll be holding you in prayer, especially as I visit the holy places of Rome and Montreal. Pax!

 

 

 

http://www.johnlewis.com/browse/men/mens-knitwear/tank-tops/_/N-eabZ1z0r9ru

http://www.johnlewis.com/sunspel-superfine-egyptian-cotton-vest-white/p955627

Hee hee :)

Edited by darcy15
Nihil Obstat
Posted

_7271904.jpg

个 A proper vest.

Posted (edited)

 

 

 

Um, no......that is a waistcoat :rolleyes:

 

个 A proper vest.

 

Edited by darcy15

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...