Miles' Adventure Countdown Thread

PhuturePriest

​Wrong. This is a tank top:

7458A8A2.jpg

Silly Brit!

;) 

Mm......that's a vest ☺️

And I have a hood on my coat........but absolutely not in my car

​Really? Tank top? In Aus, we call it simply a "vest", or a "woolen vest" - no sweater needed. ;) And what y'all call a "tank top" is for us simply a "singlet". 

And congratulations, Miles. It sounds like it will be an amazing physical and spiritual journey for you. I'll be holding you in prayer, especially as I visit the holy places of Rome and Montreal. Pax!

http://www.johnlewis.com/browse/men/mens-knitwear/tank-tops/_/N-eabZ1z0r9ru

http://www.johnlewis.com/sunspel-superfine-egyptian-cotton-vest-white/p955627

Hee hee :)

Edited by darcy15

Um, no......that is a waistcoat :rolleyes:

个 A proper vest.

Edited by darcy15

IgnatiusofLoyola

Nihil--I know you are an expert on men's clothing. Don't you work selling men's clothing? (Or am I mixed up, and you didn't get that particular job, in which case I apologize.)

In any case, I know NOTHING about current men's fashion, so this is an innocent, honest question--Is wearing a sweater vest with a bowtie "in fashion" right now? Out here in the 'burbs, most guys I see are wearing t-shirts and jeans. Makes sense--it's summer after all.

I haven't been in downtown Chicago on a weekday for awhile, so I don't know what professional men are wearing to work these days, other than the classic suit, that never goes out of style, but to which the manufacturers keep making small changes (width of lapels, width of tie, cuffs or no cuffs, pleated trousers or not, etc etc) to get men to go out and buy clothes as often as possible.

Personally, I associate sweater vests with Mr. Rogers, and the only TV character I can think of who wears sweater vests with bowties is gay (the character, not the actor). But, for all I know, bow ties with sweater vests are in fashion for all guys, gay or straight, and I'm simply clueless. (Nothing new for me, unfortunately.)

Could you enlighten us, Nihil, oh wise arbiter of men's fashion? Thanks!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

HA! I would call that an "undershirt." The cotton vest posted earlier than some people called a "singlet" is known as a "wifebeater" in some circles. However, don't ask me what "circles" because it's been a LONG time since men's underwear has been a topic of conversation pertinent to my daily life. I do confess to working in men's pantaloons for awhile (at a department store, you pervs!!) :)

I think the "sweater vest" that Miles was referring to is like a sweater (or "jumper" to you Brits) that is sleeveless, and normally has a V-neck. A variation on this might be a sleeveless, V-neck sweater ("jumper") that has buttons down the front. Under this, a man would normally wear a cotton shirt with long sleeves, a collar, and buttons down the front. Depending on the weather, a man might wear an undershirt, singlet, or wifebeater underneath to stay warm.

Don't ask me for pictures. I'm a word gal. :cool:

PhuturePriest

Nihil--I know you are an expert on men's clothing. Don't you work selling men's clothing? (Or am I mixed up, and you didn't get that particular job, in which case I apologize.)

In any case, I know NOTHING about current men's fashion, so this is an innocent, honest question--Is wearing a sweater vest with a bowtie "in fashion" right now? Out here in the 'burbs, most guys I see are wearing t-shirts and jeans. Makes sense--it's summer after all.

I haven't been in downtown Chicago on a weekday for awhile, so I don't know what professional men are wearing to work these days, other than the classic suit, that never goes out of style, but to which the manufacturers keep making small changes (width of lapels, width of tie, cuffs or no cuffs, pleated trousers or not, etc etc) to get men to go out and buy clothes as often as possible.

Personally, I associate sweater vests with Mr. Rogers, and the only TV character I can think of who wears sweater vests with bowties is gay (the character, not the actor). But, for all I know, bow ties with sweater vests are in fashion for all guys, gay or straight, and I'm simply clueless. (Nothing new for me, unfortunately.)

Yes, it is in fashion right now. Bowties and sweater vests are all the rage right now, as well as suspenders. 

Nihil Obstat

I have been working as a wardrobe consultant at a large menswear company. :)

It is a fairly casual outfit - you would be dressing down the bow tie quite a bit. But it is not unfashionable. Wear a sweater vest and bow tie with slacks or khakis and I would call that middle of the road business casual. Pairs nicely with a sport coat.

With business suits the style at the moment is strictly two button, single lapel, somewhat narrow lapels but not noticeably so, plain hem no cuff, no pleats, fairly slim and somewhat tapered legs. Ties are moderately slim but definitely not 'skinny ties', shoes are fairly narrow and the toes are generally a round point. Really giant tie knots look rather vulgar. Definitely tie the bulkier knots, but tie it very tightly so that they trim down. Bow ties are more in style than they were ten years ago. But they are not seen as a professional tie at the moment, maybe a little bit more eccentric. I like them, but I would not wear it to the big meeting with the chief executives. The ticket pocket is making a comeback - time will tell if it lasts. Still perfectly fine without. I am being told that the business power look right now is a navy suit with a white shirt and red tie. Charcoal is the most versatile especially for business. Black will always be most formal. Navy, blue, and any grey lighter than charcoal should be paired with brown shoes and a brown belt. Stripes are in fashion, but fairly narrow and muted. Not the obtrusive gangster pinstripe. Charcoal you have the option of black shoes and belt, black suit only black shoes and belt. I mean technically you can wear black shoes with all of it, but brown just looks better. Very fashionable right now. Belt always matching the shoes, period. Shirts are fitting slimmer with somewhat wider collars. The long extra pointy collars look a bit dated. Buttons on the collar are not in style at the moment.

That is about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

truthfinder

Nihil's answer is what you're looking for, but I've noticed too the resurgence of men wearing suits or even just proper shirts and ties.  On my university campus, it's not uncommon to see men in business casual/business wear, particularly in some departments (so you could see a man wearing business dress beside one in his sweat pantaloons, and also have the students dressed better than the professor.) Also - dress socks that are anything other than black, usually some sort of pattern, are sometimes worn. 

Nihil Obstat

Oh yeah, colourful dress socks are very fashionable. Basically no rules with that, besides matching the right amount of professionalism. I love argyle.

Spem in alium

HA! I would call that an "undershirt." The cotton vest posted earlier than some people called a "singlet" is known as a "wifebeater" in some circles. However, don't ask me what "circles" because it's been a LONG time since men's underwear has been a topic of conversation pertinent to my daily life. I do confess to working in men's pantaloons for awhile (at a department store, you pervs!!) :)

I think the "sweater vest" that Miles was referring to is like a sweater (or "jumper" to you Brits) that is sleeveless, and normally has a V-neck. A variation on this might be a sleeveless, V-neck sweater ("jumper") that has buttons down the front. Under this, a man would normally wear a cotton shirt with long sleeves, a collar, and buttons down the front. Depending on the weather, a man might wear an undershirt, singlet, or wifebeater underneath to stay warm.

Don't ask me for pictures. I'm a word gal. :cool:

Yes, "undershirt" is used in Australia sometimes too, but more often we know it as a "singlet". The term "wife-beater" is one I have heard round the traps also. Not too sure how it originated.

My understanding of a vest, at least from what I know in Aus, is that it is always woollen or thick (exactly like a jumper with the sleeves cut off). A waistcoat would be more formal and made of lighter fabric, like silk/satin. I find it interesting that it is called a "sweater vest" - why not just a "vest"? Are there vests that are not sweaters? I confess I am investing a lot of interest into this subject... :whistle:

Edited by Spem in alium

IgnatiusofLoyola

Yes, "undershirt" is used in Australia sometimes too, but more often we know it as a "singlet". The term "wife-beater" is one I have heard round the traps also. Not too sure how it originated.

My understanding of a vest, at least from what I know in Aus, is that it is always woollen or thick (exactly like a jumper with the sleeves cut off). A waistcoat would be more formal and made of lighter fabric, like silk/satin. I find it interesting that it is called a "sweater vest" - why not just a "vest"? Are there vests that are not sweaters? I confess I am investing a lot of interest into this subject... :whistle:

The difference between a "sweater vest" and a "vest," is the material--one is knitted, one is woven.

A "sweater vest" is usually made of knitted wool, cotton, or polyester (although I am supporting the endangered polyester beast, so that material is not normally one I wear. I make an exception for fleece in limited quantities). :P. It can be light or heavy, and perhaps even plaid.

A "vest" is made of wood, polyester, etc. that is tightly woven cloth.

It IS interesting that two cultures that supposedly share a language would need to define terms in this way. I'm sure there are lots of other basic words each of our cultures take for granted that aren't clear at all elsewhere.