An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Got News!!! And I need help

Strictlyinkblot

Strictlyinkblot

Ok, this is not a countdown thread but hopefully I'll be entering between October and December of this year. I have one more loan to pay off but hopefully it'll get sorted. Now, I know there are old threads on this already and I've posted about this before, but when I looked for them the links had all gone dead. I'm hoping to buy a lot of the stuff I need in America as I only want to bring one suitcase on the plane. I don't want to order too much stuff online because I have a bit of an awkward body shape and really wide, but small feet (size 7). So, I'm going to post what I need to get and I'd appreciate any suggestions. The shops in question would need to be fairly close to Summit, New Jersey. I know I've got a while to go yet and I'm probably getting overexcited but I can't help it.

Long sleeved, white blouse/shirt, cotton, non-iron (really hard to find these for some strange reason)

White sweater cardigan

Summer and winter nightgowns, not necessarily white

Non-bulky dressing gown in conservative colours

Cotton undershirts

Black half-slips, cotton

White knee-hi's/socks

Thermal underwear

Black/white slippers

Snow boots (I've got wide calves so this is difficult)

Sandals (Not Berkenstocks) 

Battery operated alarm clock

Wrist watch that'll last

Small organiser

Large sturdy laundry bag

Sweatshirt zip jacket

Thermal gloves

I have a fairly good idea where I can get stuff but I would appreciate help as I'm not that familiar with American shops and I want to keep costs to a minimum, while still getting good quality stuff.

And yes, I am far too excited about this

Strictlyinkblot, there is a Macy's department store in the Short Hills Mall (about 5-10 minutes past Summit off the highway; you'll need transportation) where you should be able to get many things on your list for a reasonable price.  (The other stores in the Mall are very upscale and expensive.)  There is also Macy's flagship store in Manhattan which is easily reached by train from NJ. Of course, if you go into Manhattan, there are plenty of discount stores.   At one time, Summit also had some specialty clothing shops; I haven't been there in a few years, so I don't know if they're still there.  Hope this helps.

Fingers crossed about the loan...:)

Can you PM MaterMisericordiae ? She has a monster list ... I believe she has a website as to where to get such things.  :)

Strictlyinkblot

I had a look at the website but I couldn't find what I wanted on the links but I only tried a few so far. An old thread had some great links on it but when I tried them none of them will work

Sponsa-Christi

Wintersilks is a bit on the pricey side, but it has good-quality basics: http://wintersilks.blair.com/. You could also look at Vermont Country Storehttp://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/ . These are both American-based mail order catalogs, but I imagine you could order your things online and have them shipped to Summit. 

Also, Walmart and Target are American inexpensive shops where you can find the undershirts and other odds and ends. There are just about everywhere in the country, so I'm sure there would be at least a few close by to Summit. 

Sponsa-Christi

Also, Strictlyinkblot, I live quite close to Summit, NJ, so if it would be helpful to have a local, non-cloistered contact on this side of the ocean for practical questions, feel free to get in touch with me at: sponsa.christi.author [at] gmail.com . (I tried sending a PM, but it wouldn't go through for some reason.)

Edited by Sponsa-Christi

petitpèlerin

Walmart and Target were the first thing that came to my mind, too. Most of those items you could find at Target, and most of their clothes are of pretty good quality and very inexpensive. Target is my favorite store for layering shirts. Walmart is even cheaper, and some of their clothes are of decent quality but not all. Both of those stores have household goods and personal items such as alarms clocks, laundry bags, and watches. I've found good thermals at Target, too. I would also mention Tractor Supply (another national chain store) as a place to look for things like thermals, thermal gloves, and snow boots. I wouldn't recommend either Target or Walmart for boots or shoes: cheaply made, hurt your feet. Best snow boots on earth (and great shoes all around): LL Bean (www.llbean.com).

Edited by petitpèlerin

Try this site for tights, socks, nightwear, slippers, undergarments, etc. It is very reliable: https://www.hanes.com/hanes  Shoebuy.com offers free shipping AND free return shipping if footwear doesn't fit.  Another good site is overstock.com ($2.95 fixed price shipping per order, no matter how much you order.

Strictlyinkblot

Thx so much for the suggestions. The sisters have given me some suggestions but my problem is that I'm an awkward shape, both body and feet. I really need to try stuff on in the shop. I will be bringing stuff with me and I will order some stuff on line. Sponsa Christi, I will take you up on your offer nearer the time.

sorry I cant help with finding the stuff you need but congratulations :woot:  and Im sure we all look forward to stalking you on a certain community's social media!! :ninja:   oh wow its a new ninja emote...

TheresaThoma

I also have really wide feet. So far the only durable sandal I have found that fit are Birkenstocks, they are pricey but worth it. I did see that on your list it says not Birkenstocks but I don't know if that is your preference or a requirement. If you can't get Birkenstocks my suggestion is to possibly look into Men shoes they are generally wider than womens. I have mens snow boots. I got mine at an outdoors store (Cabella's). They are more of a hiking boot but are waterproof and insulated.

I would also double check your baggage allowances.  Add up any possible shipping costs, it may be cheaper to just bring a second bag. 

TheresaThoma

Another thought is if you can spare the time perhaps leave a couple extra days to do some shopping/exchanges in the US. I know companies like Eddie Bauer will allow you to return items ordered online at the store. 

(Eddie Bauer And LL bean also have amesome wrinkle resistant blouses.)