An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Got News!!! And I need help

Strictlyinkblot

IgnatiusofLoyola

This is so exciting! When we get PMs back, I'll send you an email. I want details!!!!

In the meantime, another site I like a lot is Lands' End. It is mostly a catalog site, but it also has stores in the U.S. where you can return items (and I think you may also be able to return items at Sears). Lands' End clothes are very well-made, and are mostly very simple and plain.

Lands' End has LOTS of sales. If you sign up to be on their email list, you will get lots of emails announcing sales.

One part of Lands' End that you might not think to look is their School Uniform section. It has clothes not only in girls' sizes, but in women's sizes, too. They have several styles of long-sleeved white cotton blouses with collars. If you need a very plain long-sleeved sweatshirt with hood, they have that, too. Lands' End is headquartered in Wisconsin, so they have a good selection of things like long underwear (although their full selection probably won't come out until Sept--maybe even Oct.) I have found their snow boots to be very high quality at very reasonable prices. I don't know what style of snow boots the nuns wear, but my snow boots don't go up to my calf--they stop above my ankle. Since your postulant jumper will be long (you're going to have to get used to the fact that in the U.S., a "jumper" is not a sweater! :)) this style of snow boot may be fine. (Snow boots are different from "wellies"--wellies go up much higher on the calf.) I live outside Chicago, which has weather very similar to what you'll have in the U.S. Check with the Sisters, and see what style snow boots they wear. In any case, I expect that around September/Oct. Lands' End will offer their selection of snow boots. Again, I have shopped around a lot, and found Lands' End snow boots to be better in quality, but much lower in price than say LL Bean. And, much better quality than Target.

I have far too many heavy winter jackets (when I say "heavy"--I mean down to -5 or -10F). When we get PMs back, let me know how tall you are and approximately what size. Heavy winter jackets don't have to fit perfectly. And, if mine don't fit you, I may send them to the nuns anyway, in case they might fit other Sisters, or the Sisters can give them away.

Check Lands' End right now for sandals--they might even be on sale. Lands' End offers most of their sandals/shoes in wide sizes. (Wisconsin women are "corn-fed" farm women--not size 0 Hollywood fashionistas!)

IgnatiusofLoyola

Note: I've got some extra thermal gloves, too. (And they're black!) So check before you buy some. I need to move and, in the process, give away a LOT of clothes. I have too many pairs of totally new thermal gloves that I bought on sale because I lose them a lot. However, I haven't lost as many recently as I expected.

Strictlyinkblot

Thx for the suggestions everyone. Iggy, I'm sorry I haven't got back to you yet. Work is v crazy and I keep thinking to myself that I need to sit down and reply to you.

This is why I love Phatmass. Look at how nice and helpful you're all being. God bless you all!

:cry4: < happy cry

IgnatiusofLoyola

Thx for the suggestions everyone. Iggy, I'm sorry I haven't got back to you yet. Work is v crazy and I keep thinking to myself that I need to sit down and reply to you.

No problem! I'm just incredibly glad to hear you're finally working--not to mention your other great news about entrance. I'm still praying for you, though. (Although I think praying for other people helps me more than it helps the person I'm praying for. :idontknow:    )

OnlySunshine

Ok, this is not a countdown thread but hopefully I'll be entering between October and December of this year. I have one more loan to pay off but hopefully it'll get sorted. Now, I know there are old threads on this already and I've posted about this before, but when I looked for them the links had all gone dead. I'm hoping to buy a lot of the stuff I need in America as I only want to bring one suitcase on the plane. I don't want to order too much stuff online because I have a bit of an awkward body shape and really wide, but small feet (size 7). So, I'm going to post what I need to get and I'd appreciate any suggestions. The shops in question would need to be fairly close to Summit, New Jersey. I know I've got a while to go yet and I'm probably getting overexcited but I can't help it.

Long sleeved, white blouse/shirt, cotton, non-iron (really hard to find these for some strange reason)

White sweater cardigan

Summer and winter nightgowns, not necessarily white

Non-bulky dressing gown in conservative colours

Cotton undershirts

Black half-slips, cotton

White knee-hi's/socks

Thermal underwear

Black/white slippers

Snow boots (I've got wide calves so this is difficult)

Sandals (Not Berkenstocks) 

Battery operated alarm clock

Wrist watch that'll last

Small organiser

Large sturdy laundry bag

Sweatshirt zip jacket

Thermal gloves

I have a fairly good idea where I can get stuff but I would appreciate help as I'm not that familiar with American shops and I want to keep costs to a minimum, while still getting good quality stuff.

And yes, I am far too excited about this

For the non-clothing items, I highly recommend the Vermont Country Store, especially for the wristwatch (they have a wind-up watch).  They have a great selection of hard-to-find items.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/

Strictlyinkblot

Thx for the suggestions. I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself but it helps to plan. 

TheresaThoma

Fall comes quicker than you might think. It is good to plan!

I hope that you are able to take care of the loan ASAP. Debt is no fun!

Thx for the suggestions. I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself but it helps to plan. 

amen!  its better than scrambling at the last minute to make sure everything is ready.