An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's Next in the Courts' Sexual Revolution?

Luigi

What's Next on the Sexual Liberation Agenda?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

Civil authority acts lawfully in recognizing valid marriages in service to the common good.

Winchester

"authority" in the sense of every modern state means "Me met in room and wrote rules for people, and killed anyone who protested too vociferously".

There's no such thing as authority in the US government, unless one also acknowledges various kidnappers, or gangs as authority--because declaration of power and the love of bloodshed to back it up.

@Ash Wednesday @Deus te Amat Can this be in the lame board too? Genuine question.

To the OP: You're being so silly. Also, you didn't leave an "other" option.

Phatmass is just so ridiculous sometimes.

Silly, huh? Turns out the winner is: Polygamy, next week, Montana. They want to strike while the court is hot, I guess. 

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/07/01/polygamous-montana-trio-applies-for-wedding-license/21204001/?icid=maing-fluid|bon|dl4|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1259654238 

People arent born polygamists. It is something learned or adopted. Although Im personally not sold on monogamy being the most natural choice but I can be swayed either way.

Nihil Obstat

Good word. Is there an eye-roll emoticon?

Yes. Or at least there used to be. :rolleyes:

People arent born polygamists. It is something learned or adopted. Although Im personally not sold on monogamy being the most natural choice but I can be swayed either way.

Did the court base its opinion on the fact that a person is born gay? If so, do they have any proof of that?

As I understand it, the court based its opinion on four points:

1. Marriage involves a personal choice, which is the expression of individual autonomy;

2. Marriage is a two-person union unlike any other... between committed individuals;

3. Marriage safeguards children and families; to not allow gay couples to marry results in material and emotional consequences to the individuals and their children.

4. Marriage is a keystone of the nation's social order.

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that all the reasoning above applies with equal force to polygamy, with the exception of the "two-person union." The question seems to be whether all the other points outweigh that one little bothersome limitation. The man applying for the marriage license seems to think they do outweigh the two-person limitation.

Ash Wednesday

@Ash Wednesday @Deus te Amat Can this be in the lame board too? Genuine question.

To the OP: You're being so silly. Also, you didn't leave an "other" option.

Phatmass is just so ridiculous sometimes.

I'm sorry I missed this! I haven't known my rear end from my elbow this week, it's been manic. If you guys want me to move this to Lameville I will do so.

Nihil Obstat

I do not think this thread is appropriate for the lame board. Actual discussion is occurring, regardless of whether or not everyone likes the discussion.

PhuturePriest

If a thread's fate depends on its overall popularity then there are countless threads in Open Mic that should be in the Lame Board, and thousands in the Lame Board that should be in Open Mic.

I've yet to see any newborn babies engaging in any kind of sexual behavior.