An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bridal spirituality

MarysLittleFlower

There is no Hebrew word רחמח, to the best of my knowledge. Judging by the root, the artist was intending to write something to do with mercy.

It's possible; but [1] I enlarged the photo and the initial letter looks like a ד, not a ר [granted, they are very similar], and [2] the final letter is a ח not a ה so I concluded that the artist was more interested in conveying the idea of a scroll, than what was written on it.

It's possible; but [1] I enlarged the photo and the initial letter looks like a ד, not a ר [granted, they are very similar], and [2] the final letter is a ח not a ה so I concluded that the artist was more interested in conveying the idea of a scroll, than what was written on it.

I did think it was a dalet at first, but that seemed less likely than resh as I couldn't think of any likely word with that root. You are probably right and it's just some random letters.

Even enlarged, what I saw was a collection of meaningless letters: daled-het-mem-het.  I think the artist merely wanted to link to the ideal of a scroll with the Songs of Songs on it.

Probably.  In many old Anglican churches in England, there are large statues of Moses and Aaron framing the altar.  And you will see above the altar in the center at the very top, the Hebrew letters for "Jahweh"--abbreviated, of course, as the name of God is never pronounced.

Neat.

• 1 month later...
MarysLittleFlower

Sigh... So I was trying to find a passage from a spiritual book I read before and by accident came across an article that treated of an event in a Blesseds life as something impure (it was regarding an act of reverence and love to Christ). Then I was trying to research Blessed Angela of Foligno and hoping to find some real Catholic sources and again I came across some so called historical "studies" and Google books talking about her in some sexualized way.

It kind of annoys me that in the world all these scholars jump to that conclusion. Why is that? Why do people see this spousal approach to Christ not understanding its spiritual? I even struggled feeling like a weird person myself with this because of the criticism..and i get afraid of people finding out how I see Jesus. Cause I wonder if they'll think something like that. Sorry if this was a rant :) 

God bless you too! :) 

Reading about your promise, made me think of the saints who did the same thing, even when they were children, without asking a priest first. God places it in our hearts. God places it there and it wells up within, and one succumbs to it, to such love. How could one not? I too fully knew what I was promising. Later, I did speak to a spiritual director and he confirmed my vow. I did have the ring blessed, but my priest said it had to be a private vow between God and I. So while he was blessing the ring, I renewed my vow to God. To me a promise is a vow. One has given that object (which in our case was ourselves) to God. I know we have canon law to state who is consecrated within the church. If I could consecrate myself any more fully to God, I would. This is where He has placed me, and with my whole heart, mind, and soul, I give myself to Him, fully and freely. I leave nothing out. I am entirely His. I had my ring blessed when I made my profession into a third order. I consider it my wedding day and celebrate it as my anniversary. Not publicly, but with Jesus. I try to think of something special to give Him, to do for Him that month, as an anniversary gift. We are very blessed. You are the spouse of Jesus! :)I'm so happy for you! Doesn't it sometimes make you wish you could be alone on a high mountain somewhere so you could "shout it from the rooftops?" That way only God could hear, but you could shout your joy to the whole world! I am sure that even if others don't understand it here in this world, all of Heaven is rejoicing with  and for us! God is so good! What He wouldn't do to show His love for souls. 

how did I not reply before? I'm sorry! What a beautiful post :) yes I do feel that way sometimes too. :) sadly I am seeing (at least based on what I wrote just above) that most might not understand. But... Yes Jesus understands. So do some people here. That makes me glad:) God bless you!

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

AccountDeleted

MLF, you seem to worry a great deal about what other people write or think. Why so?

There is a statue of St Teresa of Avila in Ecstasy by Bernini. It has always been one of my favorite sculptures of all time. Many people have expressed the opinion that she looks as if she is having an orgasm, and they try to sexualize it, thus demeaning her experience. It has never bothered me what others say. I can see why they would make that comparison but I also understand what true spiritual ecstasy is all about, so what does it matter if someone who doesn't understand that, says about the sculpture?

Let it go - haters gonna hate.

bernini2.jpg

Edited by nunsense

MarysLittleFlower

I ask myself that same question! (Why I care). Yup I've heard much about Bernini's sculpture too! I also like it despite those frequent misunderstandings. Maybe someday I'll go to Rome and actually see it in person - if I'm correct about it being in Rome. 

AccountDeleted

I ask myself that same question! (Why I care). Yup I've heard much about Bernini's sculpture too! I also like it despite those frequent misunderstandings. Maybe someday I'll go to Rome and actually see it in person - if I'm correct about it being in Rome. 

A great online virtual tour is here...

http://www.panoramicearth.com/502/Rome/Santa_Maria_della_Vittoria 

You can make it full screen and move the camera angles around to see the sculpture.

MarysLittleFlower

For anyone reading who is interested in learning about bridal spirituality ....this book is absolutely amazing. Its a combination of Song of Songs and St John of the Cross and links this type of spirituality to progress in virtue and mental prayer. It just puts everything together in a way I hadn't heard before. I know people are drawn to different styles of books but if you like mystical theology, Saints and Song of Songs, this is quite inspiring. Lol not trying to sound like an advertisement :P http://www.amazon.com/The-Song-Songs-Mystical-Exposition/dp/0895554852

Plus its written by a Dominican :D 

inperpetuity

I am currently taking a class on "The True Spouse of Jesus Christ" by St. Alphonsus Liguouri and this book is full of bridal imagery regarding the relationship between consecrated women and Our Lord. So, no, there's nothing novel or weird about this. At least there shouldn't be at least for Catholics. I think it was St. Teresa of the Andes who said, "I only care what God thinks of me. I don't mind what His creatures think of me."

MarysLittleFlower

That sounds like a great class! :) It does seem that this imagery is very much a part of Church tradition. I just realized what confuses me is when others I know who love Jesus, don't believe that He would call anyone to this life. Their reasoning is based on truths but applied to this topic incompletely because of not seeing other truths, I think. So they come to different results. Whereas because I have this spirituality, it makes sense to me. But I can't explain it easily without giving away the personal aspect. So they disagree but I begin feeling like I'm strange somehow. Its good not to care so much what people think but that's something to work on for sure! 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

I personally love the spousal imagery of religious life.  However, the imagery has triggered many doubts/concerns among some of my friends who discerned out of religious life.  One had a profound experience of feeling "proposed" to by Jesus which led her to pursue postulancy in a community.  When the community she entered discerned it was not the right place for her, she felt like "Jesus was breaking up with her." It was very difficult for her to remain in Christ and trust in His providence after that experience.  Another discerned that she wasn't called to religious life, and felt severely disappointed, like she wasn't good enough to be one of the "chosen ones."  Certain discourses can also cheapen sacramental marriages, particularly when I read sisters saying "Jesus is better than any husband I could ever have."  While I certainly believe that, I can also see how it might make a married person feel devalued.  

One VD told me that her community prefers the term "disciple of Christ" as opposed to "brides of Christ" because it can portray a false sense of spiritual superiority ("I was chosen by Christ to be His Bride and you weren't).  

And on a personal note, one VD told me that community life was pivotal to their order because "Christ likes His brides to live together."  As strange as it may sound, polygamy instantly came to mind.  Has anyone else thought that before? How does spousal imagery fit into the Church's teaching on monogamy? 

MarysLittleFlower

I personally love the spousal imagery of religious life.  However, the imagery has triggered many doubts/concerns among some of my friends who discerned out of religious life.  One had a profound experience of feeling "proposed" to by Jesus which led her to pursue postulancy in a community.  When the community she entered discerned it was not the right place for her, she felt like "Jesus was breaking up with her." It was very difficult for her to remain in Christ and trust in His providence after that experience.  Another discerned that she wasn't called to religious life, and felt severely disappointed, like she wasn't good enough to be one of the "chosen ones."  Certain discourses can also cheapen sacramental marriages, particularly when I read sisters saying "Jesus is better than any husband I could ever have."  While I certainly believe that, I can also see how it might make a married person feel devalued.  

One VD told me that her community prefers the term "disciple of Christ" as opposed to "brides of Christ" because it can portray a false sense of spiritual superiority ("I was chosen by Christ to be His Bride and you weren't).  

And on a personal note, one VD told me that community life was pivotal to their order because "Christ likes His brides to live together."  As strange as it may sound, polygamy instantly came to mind.  Has anyone else thought that before? How does spousal imagery fit into the Church's teaching on monogamy? 

hmm... That is a challenging topic! I think... This is all just my opinion BTW :) with the first friend who didn't stay in a community, that doesn't mean (in my view) that Jesus didn't 'propose' to her. If she enters another community, (which happened! Sr Mary of the Holy Trinity, a mystic, tried a few until finding her community), becomes a CV, joins a secular institute, or even lives with private vows - I believe she is His in this way because all those vocations include not marrying. A CV would have the official title but there are Saints who had this relationship with Jesus and weren't CVs, but still shared in the imagery. Not only nuns do :)

anyway I certainly hope that consecrated people in the world can use this language too. (St Catherine of Siena, St Rose of Lima, St Gemma Galgani, Blessed Angela of Foligno and lots of others come to mind).Theres a mystic I read about who was a lay woman in the world who had a very clear engagement and 'marriage' to Jesus, who she might be encouraged to read about:   http://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/2015/01/maria-teresa-carloni-modern-day-mystic.html?m=1

also http://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/2009/11/gabrielle-bossis-he-and-i.html?m=1

the same goes for the second friend unless she discerned marriage. 

As for someone feeling like they aren't loved as much because they're not called to religious life... I actually struggled with that because I'm not sure if I'll be a nun. However I believe if I'll be a consecrated person in the world I can still use this imagery because I'm giving up marriage for Jesus.

If someone is called to marriage instead, each soul is still like a bride and thats the reality we will all have in Heaven. Consecrated celibacy is a way ofstarting that on earth I think, but it doesn't mean other souls aren't important to Jesus... Each soul is unique and has a mission that can't be repeated. Jesus told Gabrielle Bossis that each soul is dear to Him and He can tell it from the others in the Heavenly choir. Also He said He chooses some to reach the others. No one deserves it and He often chooses the weakest.

To be honest the Church does teach celibacy is a higher state and we can see there are chosen souls - but His Will is special and unrepeatable for each person, and it's like each soul is a brand new masterpiece to Him. Those who are called to consecrated life, are chosen to help others, not so they can have the vocation for themselves :) anyway I know what its like to have these struggles...

Also if a woman wants to love only Jesus it can be discouraging to think -  what if Jesus would ask me to love another? I get this sometimes and what helps is trusting in His love and Will. It can be very painful to discern something else after all these hopes, for sure.