Gabriela Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 I am not one of those people who knows theologians by name, but this one keeps coming up. What do we know about him? I know some theologians should be avoided, and I just want to make sure this guy isn't one of them.
Nihil Obstat Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 Eh............. you will never find a traditionalist praising him.
PhuturePriest Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 "Congar" sounds dangerously like "Congo", which is in Africa -- Obama's familial roots are in Africa, thus making it communist by association, and communism has been denounced by the Church. So, in answer to your question, no, you cannot read anything by Congar.
Nihil Obstat Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 "Congar" sounds dangerously like "Congo", which is in Africa -- Obama's familial roots are in Africa, thus making it communist by association, and communism has been denounced by the Church. So, in answer to your question, no, you cannot read anything by Congar.
Amppax Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 Some of his stuff is really good. Some of it's wacky. FWIW, he was one of the founders of Concilium, with Rahner, Kung, and Schillebeeckx. So not the best crowd. But his book on tradition is pretty good.
NadaTeTurbe Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 Some of his stuff is really good. Some of it's wacky. FWIW, he was one of the founders of Concilium, with Rahner, Kung, and Schillebeeckx. So not the best crowd. But his book on tradition is pretty good. and some other dangerous theologian, like Urs von Balthazar, and Joseph Ratzinger.I read his Journal of the Concile. It (nearly) make me love dominicans.
Gabriela Posted July 2, 2015 Author Posted July 2, 2015 Eh............. you will never find a traditionalist praising him. I hoped you'd answer. "Congar" sounds dangerously like "Congo", which is in Africa -- Obama's familial roots are in Africa, thus making it communist by association, and communism has been denounced by the Church. So, in answer to your question, no, you cannot read anything by Congar. Silly (phormer) phetus. Okay, that's clear. Next question: How is his Journal of the Council? And what about Rahner? What is "Concilium"? I ask because I'm getting to a point in my studies where it's time to start reading some of these guys themselves, rather than other people mentioning them in passing.
NadaTeTurbe Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 Reading the original text is always better than listening to people. I have only read (a part) of his Journal of the Council. It is easy to read (I know nothing to theology), there's even some fun stuff ("X was boring", etc...) It was written day by day, so you really live the Concile. He had a real love for the church and God, and Saint John Paul II made him a cardinal. I really liked his Journal.
PhuturePriest Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 and some other dangerous theologian, like Urs von Balthazar, and Joseph Ratzinger.I read his Journal of the Concile. It (nearly) make me love dominicans. Did you just call Josef Ratzinger a dangerous theologian, or was that a mistake due to the language gap?
NadaTeTurbe Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 Did you just call Josef Ratzinger a dangerous theologian, or was that a mistake due to the language gap? It was sarcasm. I have nothing but respect to pope Benedict XVI and his work (Caritas in Veritate changed me). Amppax said the founders of Concilium were not the best crowd, but, in the founders of Concilium were Joseph Ratzinger and Urs Von Balthazar. I am sorry if it was not clear or sounded insulting.(and, if you put yourself in the point of view of, let's say, Barack Obama, Cardinal Ratzinger was/is a dangerous theologian. The truth is dangerous. It may change you.)
NadaTeTurbe Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 Gabriella, one day I find this book : http://www.amazon.fr/Livres/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A301061%2Cp_27%3ABouyer Louis\c Congar Yves\c Daniélou Jean Cardinal Renard "our faith", by Louis Bouyer, Car. Renart, Jean Daniélou (AMAZING theologian), and Yves Congar. I only flip through it in the library, but it was clear and interesting. It's old and I'm not sure if it is translated in english, but it could be interesting. Jean Daniélou and Louis Bouyer are both very interesting people (we really need a tread on Louis Bouyer, btw)
truthfinder Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 I believe Congar's journal has just recently been translated into English. (Yep - this is the Canadian link, but use Dust's link to support phatmass: http://www.amazon.ca/My-Journal-Council-Yves-Congar/dp/0814680291/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1435870591&sr=8-7&keywords=yves+congar ) Also, if I'm not mistaken, Ratzinger was considered a bit of a liberal at the Council, but we all know how that turned out in the end.
Catlick Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 Ratzinger certainly was/is a smart theologian, but nonetheless a Modernist. Just read his Introduction to Christianity, it's phenomenology all the way.
PhuturePriest Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 It was sarcasm. I have nothing but respect to pope Benedict XVI and his work (Caritas in Veritate changed me). Amppax said the founders of Concilium were not the best crowd, but, in the founders of Concilium were Joseph Ratzinger and Urs Von Balthazar. I am sorry if it was not clear or sounded insulting.(and, if you put yourself in the point of view of, let's say, Barack Obama, Cardinal Ratzinger was/is a dangerous theologian. The truth is dangerous. It may change you.) My apologies. I was confused because Balthazar has been criticized heavily in the past, so I was under the impression you didn't approve of him.
truthfinder Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 And that Catlick, is probably why you have a phishy tag
PhuturePriest Posted July 2, 2015 Posted July 2, 2015 Ratzinger certainly was/is a smart theologian, but nonetheless a Modernist. Just read his Introduction to Christianity, it's phenomenology all the way. What's wrong with phenomenology? I'm genuinely curious.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now