An Old School Catholic Message Board

who is consecrated?

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I hope this doesn't become a debate... I'm just asking to learn. :) I understand someone could be a: nun, CV, join secular institute or make a private vow. Which of these are considered consecrations and which are not? (And in that case more like dedications). These are the 4 states of life I can think of besides marriage for women.. This is just for information purposes and I'm trying to understand the difference of consecration or dedication. Thank you! 

BarbTherese

Nuns and CV's and secular institutes only are regarded as consecrated life per se in Canon Law.  Certainly, in the Apostolic Exhortation "Vita Consecrata" (The Consecrated Life)  in March 1966, Pope John Paul II states under "Thanksgiving for The Consecrated Life".....

."We are all aware of the treasure which the gift of the consecrated life in the variety of its charisms and institutions represents for the ecclesial community. Together let us thank God for the Religious Orders and Institutes devoted to contemplation or the works of the apostolate, for Societies of Apostolic Life, for Secular Institutes and for other groups of consecrated persons, as well as for all those individuals who, in their inmost hearts, dedicate themselves to God by a special consecration."

However, those who make private vows are not in consecrated life per se in Canon Law.  That such persons live a dedicated life rather than a consecrated life is a distinction that some in The Church seek to make, while The Church has not made such distinction to date.   I have read there is some discussion amongst theologians that there should be a distinction, just as I have read that theologians are discussing means to make those choosing to live under private vows included in the consecrated state in Canon Law.  These are just apparently ongoing theological discussions.

Being a person under private vows, quite personally I regard the lack of recognition formally by The Church as a consecrated way of life as being a quite literal hidden way of life that is a feature per se of the single vocation or the person making private vows.  The Church has not made any such declaration, it is my personal view only of my personal vocation.

BarbTherese

I don't know what might apply now as it is over 10 years since I was in contact with The Leaven Secular Institute (Carmelite O.Carm), but I was told that in The Leaven, one's consecration into the consecrated state in Canon Law could be kept secret if one wished.  They would have wanted me to make at least one visit to them in Ireland before undertaking formation as a distance member.  I am not too keen at all about the distance formation -  and also a return trip to Ireland would have been way out of my budget. I literally live a life of poverty, regarded as below poverty in Australia.  I also thought that since the consecrated state is a public state of consecration in The Church, it would not be kept secret as it was a public matter. 

The Leaven have a website now : http://theleaven.org.uk/

BarbTherese

Nuns and monks live enclosed monastic lives, religious sisters, brothers and/or priests have a ministry involving those outside of their community. These are all in consecrated life in The Church under public vows, as well as hermits living the eremitical life consecrated under Canon 603.......as well as CV's and those in secular institutes of course.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

NadaTeTurbe

Nuns and CV's and secular institutes only are regarded as consecrated life per se in Canon Law.  Certainly, in the Apostolic Exhortation "Vita Consecrata" (The Consecrated Life)  in March 1966, Pope John Paul II states under "Thanksgiving for The Consecrated Life".....

However, those who make private vows are not in consecrated life per se in Canon Law.  That such persons live a dedicated life rather than a consecrated life is a distinction that some in The Church seek to make, while The Church has not made such distinction to date.   I have read there is some discussion amongst theologians that there should be a distinction, just as I have read that theologians are discussing means to make those choosing to live under private vows included in the consecrated state in Canon Law.  These are just apparently ongoing theological discussions.

Being a person under private vows, quite personally I regard the lack of recognition formally by The Church as a consecrated way of life as being a quite literal hidden way of life that is a feature per se of the single vocation or the person making private vows.  The Church has not made any such declaration, it is my personal view only of my personal vocation.

When I began discernement, I made three vows to the Virgin Mary (to pray a particular prayer, to consecrate my free time to help a particular category of people in need, and to abandon myself in the hand of God). I was very serious about them, I writed them, and all. But there was no priest involved or anything. Are these private vows ? 

MarysLittleFlower

intrresting... Thanks for the info... Yes that does make it hidden but at the same time it would be nice to be given more direction here by the Church. Like how is a life of someone with a vow distinguished from a single lay person without a vow on one hand, but from a nun on the other. Also there are Saints who lived this way..

MarysLittleFlower

When I began discernement, I made three vows to the Virgin Mary (to pray a particular prayer, to consecrate my free time to help a particular category of people in need, and to abandon myself in the hand of God). I was very serious about them, I writed them, and all. But there was no priest involved or anything. Are these private vows ? 

I think these would be private promises to God (I also did something without a priest and later told my SD), but I'm not sure if they are the exact vows that are meant... If I understand the reference is to private vows of chastity poverty and obedience? Is that "living under private vows"? (Even if they have other private vows too). Someone correct me if I'm wrong... Though we can make other vows too for other purposes. My promise was basically a vow of chastity but I would love to one day make a formal private vow of chastity with a priest there... This was more like something in my heart though I completely meant it. So I call mine a promise rather then a "private vow" even if it is, just to look forward to maybe a more formal vow later, if that's God's Will :) it would depend on my SD. Maybe I'm not there yet. But I still take my promise seriously and it was like a self offering. I'm not sure where that places me in this Church structure :) lol.  A director would probably prefer starting with a one year vow first etc... So if I ever do this that's what I would do though my promise was "forever". I guess if I said it with a priest I would see it as a more formal vow that is recognised by my authority. So I would do the year by year and then permanent structure. But this was something in my heart like an offering. I'm aware of Saints and others who made a private vow of chastity as children not even knowing about asking anyone... Were they under the "private vows"? Im confused... I think it can build on each other. . a promise done in the heart, then a private vow with a priest, then religious vows if called which would be a public consecration. 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

BarbTherese

I am unsure where a vow or vows to other than God is concerned, but I should imagine that a vow or vows to Our Lady are serious and would be regarded as private vows.

BarbTherese

intrresting... Thanks for the info... Yes that does make it hidden but at the same time it would be nice to be given more direction here by the Church. Like how is a life of someone with a vow distinguished from a single lay person without a vow on one hand, but from a nun on the other. Also there are Saints who lived this way..

There is absolutely no requirement if one feels called to the single life as one's vocation to make any sort of private vow or vows.   The saints that I can think of just now made private vows but also joined a Third Order or subsequently entered religious life.  I am sure that we do have saints who simply made a private vow or vows to God without joining any institution in The Church and certainly in the early Church before organised religious orders and related third orders, monasteries etc. came into being. 

BarbTherese

I think these would be private promises to God (I also did something without a priest and later told my SD), but I'm not sure if they are the exact vows that are meant... If I understand the reference is to private vows of chastity poverty and obedience? Is that "living under private vows"? (Even if they have other private vows too). Someone correct me if I'm wrong... Though we can make other vows too for other purposes. My promise was basically a vow of chastity but I would love to one day make a formal private vow of chastity with a priest there... This was more like something in my heart though I completely meant it. So I call mine a promise rather then a "private vow" even if it is, just to look forward to maybe a more formal vow later, if that's God's Will :) it would depend on my SD. Maybe I'm not there yet. But I still take my promise seriously and it was like a self offering. I'm not sure where that places me in this Church structure :) lol.  Strictly speaking, in Church structure, you are a lay woman in secular life. A director would probably prefer starting with a one year vow first etc... So if I ever do this that's what I would do though my promise was "forever". I guess if I said it with a priest I would see it as a more formal vow that is recognised by my authority. So I would do the year by year and then permanent structure. But this was something in my heart like an offering. I'm aware of Saints and others who made a private vow of chastity as children not even knowing about asking anyone... Were they under the "private vows"? Im confused... I think it can build on each other. . a promise done in the heart, then a private vow with a priest, then religious vows if called which would be a public consecration. 

If one has not made public vows and consecrated into the consecrated state, then one remains a lay person in secular life - no matter under what conditions a private vow or vows may have been made.  Certainly, where private vows are concerned one is quite free to work out subject matter and the terms of those vows for themselves.  It is a  quite private matter between self and God.  Be that as it may, a private vow is a serious matter and wisely and prudently done with spiritual direction and I certainly think where private vows to the evangelical counsels are concerned especially, ongoing spiritual direction.

MarysLittleFlower

I am unsure where a vow or vows to other than God is concerned, but I should imagine that a vow or vows to Our Lady are serious and would be regarded as private vows.

They are private vows I think... But when we talk about this vocationally, do we mean specific vows like poverty chastity and obedience? There can be other vows too of course depending on the persons path in life etc. 

MarysLittleFlower

That makes sense... (I'm replying to you about private vows being private but needing direction). That's why though if I made more formal private vows they would still be private vows, they would just be structured more exactly and done with a priest. I somehow see that as a "step up" to vows made in the heart but I take those seriously too as real promises and I don't want to ever break it. Making it again with a priest there would be like having it be recognised by my authority. (Though my priest knows about the current situation and I was not told to get this dispensed). I still see any vow to God as something real :) I also agree about the need for direction. I'm glad I have an SD for that reason.

MarysLittleFlower

There is absolutely no requirement if one feels called to the single life as one's vocation to make any sort of private vow or vows.   The saints that I can think of just now made private vows but also joined a Third Order or subsequently entered religious life.  I am sure that we do have saints who simply made a private vow or vows to God without joining any institution in The Church and certainly in the early Church before organised religious orders and related third orders, monasteries etc. came into being. 

I know there are no requirements to vows per se... But I mean there is a difference between just being single, and choosing that for God, with or without a vow? I know either way you're a secular lay person. But that is still an offering to God... I don't see myself as I lived before just being single... I don't know what it means. 

BarbTherese

Precisely because The Church does not give direction re private vows, a person is free to define the vows themselves - i.e. how they intend to live them out.  Again because The Church has not made any statements re private vows, in my own case, I prefer to define it as a hidden way of life in the midst of secular life as a lay person.  Again too, I think, that because The Church has not made any statements there is very little rather often nowadays to distinguish a lay person (with or without vows) from a religious sister since most all religious sisters (here in Australia) wear secular clothing.   Religious here in secular clothing do wear the symbol of their religious order on their shoulder or on a pendant.

Personally, I do not have a need to be distinguished from religious - if it happens, then it happens and if not then it does not. These factors are dependant on what The Church decides or not,. What I prefer, since The Church is saying nothing to this point, is to be exteriorly just a very ordinary Catholic lay woman living an ordinary sort of life alone and I would hope that this would continue no matter what The Church might decide (or not) in the future.

They are private vows I think... But when we talk about this vocationally, do we mean specific vows like poverty chastity and obedience? There can be other vows too of course depending on the persons path in life etc. 

The vocational aspect of private vows is that one is called to secular life in the laity.  One may or may not receive a call to make private vows of some kind within the call to secular life in the laity.  This is all best discerned with spiritual direction.   Certainly, it needs to be noted, that consecrated life in secular institutes most often will allow one to make the vows to the evangelical counsels formally in The Church and continue to live as a secular person in the general community.  I think personally it is wise to discern that consecrated state in the discernment process re secular life.  Certainly, I did - and have good reasons why I decided against secular institutes.

I know there are no requirements to vows per se... But I mean there is a difference between just being single, and choosing that for God, with or without a vow? I know either way you're a secular lay person. But that is still an offering to God... I don't see myself as I lived before just being single... I don't know what it means. 

How would you live if you were simply a secular lay person without vows?  How would you live out the vows you make which would make you a secular lay person living a certain way or manner of life? 

I think that perhaps you are looking for directions where there are no directions at this point - or very little and these in Canon Law and "Vows".  I hope that status quo will persevere. All this does mean that one is completely free in every way to define their own way of life.

There is no need to seek diocesan authority permission to make private vows.  My SD sought his permission because my private vows would be renewed in the context of a Home Mass.  A Home Mass does require diocesan authority permission insofar as I am aware.

AgnesHolyInnocents

Perhaps this link will help http://www.penitents.org/vows.html

This is what St. Thomas Aquinas has to say about vows http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3088.htm#article1

A vow is a promise made to God, the fulfillment of which is a serious religious obligation.

It sounds like you made a private vow of chastity 

A promise implies more than a wish or a desire but rather is a firm decision to fulfill what is vowed.

It was made of your own free will and you intended and still intend to keep your promise to God in fulfilling it.

A vow must be made with sufficient deliberation, knowingly, and with due discernment. The object of the vow must be something good; otherwise it is not a vow and has no effect. It must be something that the one vowing is capable of fulfilling, and it must be something better, i.e., better than not doing it, or better than its opposite. 

Then you went to your sd and with his help, discerned your vow was valid.

If you ever felt God was calling you to marriage, you could discuss it with your sd and have his help in discerning what God was asking. Your priest can dispense the vow you've made for another good- marriage is also a good, it is a sacrament.

Being consecrated means that the church has set some thing or some one apart for God. It is different to be a consecrated virgin than it is to make a private vow of chastity, even with the approval of your sd. Being consecrated is higher than a private vow, because it involves the church in a formal way. A private vow, even though discerned with your sd, means that it is still a private vow between you and God, it is not accepted by the church in the same way as one who is consecrated.  

Consecrated Life: A permanent state of life recognized by the Church, entered freely in response to the call of Christ to the perfection of love and characterized by the making of public vows of poverty, chastity and obedience.

This is done by a public vow/ ceremony. It doesn't mean you need to have 100 people attend. It does mean you are consecrated in a special way, within the church, and publicly recognized as such, you have the aid of the church, the Bishops permission. If you are a consecrated hermit, you might own a home but you would have to formally write a rule of life, what poverty in your case would mean, and also have it approved by the Bishop. You would have a vow of obedience to your Bishop (or your religious order). 

In our hearts, I believe our vow of chastity is just as special as the vow of chastity of the one who is consecrated. We have given ourselves to God because He has called us to in a special way. It is not a call everyone receives. I know other single women in my parish and not one of them has been called by God to make a vow to give their chastity to God. Surely they are obliged to remain chaste in whatever circumstances they are in, but what it means is they have not promised to not marry. One might decide to stay single for life but this is not the same as making a vow of chastity. A vow involves a promise giving something good to God. A private vow of chastity is a promise made to God that one is not going to marry, whether that be a month, a year, or the perfect and perpetual vow of never marrying for life. You can see why making such a vow, especially one for life, would be a serious matter which should be discerned with the help of a sd. 

I think you have raised a great question. Your sd is the one God has given to you in a special way to help you seek God's will in your life. If it were me, I would take this question to my sd when I saw him next and ask him to help me to understand it better. Maybe you might also ask him about your vow in particular. Is it a step higher because he has helped you to discern it is valid, is a promise (your promise) a vow, and what does being consecrated involve and how is it different or the same as your vow? 

Hope this helps:) God bless!