An Old School Catholic Message Board

Living poverty: a year without new possessions

beatitude

Got my boxes out and raring to go!  St. Vincent de Paul store will be excited to see me coming!

I dislike having "things." I almost never buy anything, not because I'm cheap but I tend to spend when I'm with people, though this isn't a great habit either because I end up not having any "things" I need and just spending at restaurants and stuff lol (e.g., I'm lazy about spending to maintain my car). I'm trying to live a more philosophical life, so I want to focus not so much on "poverty" but on spending in ways that are going to create an alternative. Just not spending doesn't do anything constructive, but if I spend on things that are going to build a positive alternative to consumer culture, then to me that's worth spending. But I hate being in stores. I hate thinking about money, period. I don't really believe in "gifts"...do people really need another thing from me during Christmas or their birthday? I'd rather invite them to my house to eat and spend on the ingredients to cook.

Edited by Era Might

Perish alone, saved together. Am I weird for applying existential questions to café culture? :|

Well said! And no, I don't think that's weird at all. I think we need to be more conscious and reflective of ALL our behaviors.

I dislike having "things." I almost never buy anything, not because I'm cheap but I tend to spend when I'm with people, though this isn't a great habit either because I end up not having any "things" I need and just spending at restaurants and stuff lol (e.g., I'm lazy about spending to maintain my car). I'm trying to live a more philosophical life, so I want to focus not so much on "poverty" but on spending in ways that are going to create an alternative. Just not spending doesn't do anything constructive, but if I spend on things that are going to build a positive alternative to consumer culture, then to me that's worth spending. But I hate being in stores. I hate thinking about money, period. I don't really believe in "gifts"...do people really need another thing from me during Christmas or their birthday? I'd rather invite them to my house to eat and spend on the ingredients to cook.

You make really good points, Era. :like2:

Yep, that makes a lot of sense. For me, dining is a complex one because it's so bound up in being sociable, giving and receiving love, etc. Usually my benchmark is whether it pleases only me and my passions (getting a coffee when I'm out) or whether it benefits a relationship and opportunities for showing love (getting coffee with my flatmate when we need a break). Perish alone, saved together. Am I weird for applying existential questions to café culture? :|

No. It's perfectly reasonable to want to share eating with other people.  There is something celebratory about eating, especially if you make it yourself, also when you're out. 

I bought two new skirts because I want to wear more dresses and skirts, I may need at least one pair of leggings which I wear under skirts because of modesty.

I also do need another pair of shoes but I can hold off until my current pair really develop holes. (I just super glued the soles today)

However I FIGHT with myself all the time over my "drug" of choice - soda(cola)  I know its bad for me but I cant live without it.

I'm in for not buying anything not needed. :P

I  know that we should drink water instead of cola, but could you substitute diet soda instead of "cola", which I assume is--real cola.   I, for example, really prefer Diet Coke to regular Coke. N more than one a day, though, and usually far less.  There are a lot of different diet sodas out there. 

I  know that we should drink water instead of cola, but could you substitute diet soda instead of "cola", which I assume is--real cola.   I, for example, really prefer Diet Coke to regular Coke. N more than one a day, though, and usually far less.  There are a lot of different diet sodas out there. 

I teach public speaking to a bunch of STEM majors, and they regularly give speeches about how much worse for you diet soda is than regular soda. Apparently it confuses your brain about how much sugar you're ingesting, so your body starts hoarding sugar instead of giving it up when your body needs energy. People who drink diet soda commonly find they gain weight as a result, and are even more likely to develop diabetes.

I'd say just start making giant batches of iced tea at home, which you can sweeten naturally and carry around in a thermos or re-used bottle. It's much better for you. And then, on occasion, when you're celebrating something, have a (regular!) soda.

Alternatively, you could buy one of these: http://www.target.com/p/hamilton-beach-fizzini-hand-held-carbonated-water-maker-85105/-/A-14665401?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=14665401&CPNG=Appliances&kpid=14665401&LID=3pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14665401&kpid=14665401&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2v2sBRCazKGu3tSFz64BEiQAKIE1hnOouWTJGpwF5EU4Jg1XeO7ul9oo65gMRQP0sng485kaAo1R8P8HAQ

...and make your own carbonated beverages at home. I hear watermelon soda is amazing!

I teach public speaking to a bunch of STEM majors, and they regularly give speeches about how much worse for you diet soda is than regular soda. Apparently it confuses your brain about how much sugar you're ingesting, so your body starts hoarding sugar instead of giving it up when your body needs energy. People who drink diet soda commonly find they gain weight as a result, and are even more likely to develop diabetes.

I'd say just start making giant batches of iced tea at home, which you can sweeten naturally and carry around in a thermos or re-used bottle. It's much better for you. And then, on occasion, when you're celebrating something, have a (regular!) soda.

Alternatively, you could buy one of these: http://www.target.com/p/hamilton-beach-fizzini-hand-held-carbonated-water-maker-85105/-/A-14665401?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=14665401&CPNG=Appliances&kpid=14665401&LID=3pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14665401&kpid=14665401&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2v2sBRCazKGu3tSFz64BEiQAKIE1hnOouWTJGpwF5EU4Jg1XeO7ul9oo65gMRQP0sng485kaAo1R8P8HAQ

...and make your own carbonated beverages at home. I hear watermelon soda is amazing!

Yes, you're probably right. I have read much the same, not only the confusion part, but some other research about the artificial sweeteners promoting insulin resistance, or some such. Stay tuned.

Apparently real seltzer is now being marketed. And better yet, as you  mentioned, one of those seltzer machines.  I'll check out that link--only we don't have enough space for it, probably--all those Diet Coke cartons  (joke)...

...it's also a matter of choose your poison.  I live near the rez, where obesity  and diabetes is really serious.  If switching to diet stuff could be a half-way house to iced tea or one of those cartridge things ( small and affordable!), then it might be worth it.  NOtice I say might.  Any port in a storm.

Off topic.  Sorry.  Your work is interesting.

Soda Stream!   There is an initial outlay, of course, but after that, just a very small charge for the gas canisters.  They make a variety of flavored syrups, but I like to just squeeze a lemon into the soda water, and/or add a few sprigs of mint.  Or, make an "egg cream" by adding some chocolate syrup and milk to a large glass and filling with soda water.  Memories of the Lower East Side!

Recently, Soda Stream in Israel was in the news because the factory is an outstanding example of Israeli-Palestinian cooperation, with close to 200 Palestinians employed by the company [which is Israeli]

I hate thinking about money, period. I don't really believe in "gifts"...do people really need another thing from me during Christmas or their birthday? I'd rather invite them to my house to eat and spend on the ingredients to cook.

I love trying to think up the perfect present for someone, and if I didn't have limitations with cooking (unpredictable hand tremor + motor coordination issues = / = happy dinner party, unless you're one of these people who likes rare meat seeping with blood) I'd try this. Having someone over and cooking their favourite meal is a lovely idea for a gift. Lately I have started to give 'events' rather than physical presents - my nephew is horse-mad but his parents can't afford regular riding lessons for him, so for his birthday I am planning to book him a place on a day-long trail ride. I think this is another aspect of voluntary poverty, as Marigold said: choosing things that enhance and enrich our relationships with one another. Giving someone their fiftieth piece of jewellery doesn't really achieve that. Simple living makes more room for it.

Yeah, diet is death. Just drink the normal stuff on a less regular basis...

I love Diet Coke but hate the regular stuff. It's too sweet for my taste. I'm trying to wean myself off Diet Coke entirely, as the company is really nasty - their track record on workers' rights is disgusting. Every year I give the stuff up for Lent and every year I end up drinking it again after Lent is over. I need to exercise more willpower over this. In fact, I won't wait for Lent this time!

Today I faced another challenge to my decision not to buy anything: I accidentally put my favourite rosary through the washing machine (a beautiful handmade olivewood one from Bethlehem) and it has lost its warm honey-coloured sheen, the texture has altered, and a couple of beads are chipped. My impulse was to run down the road and get another one like it. They cost the equivalent of $4, so not much. I had to tell myself sternly that it's still good to pray with even if it doesn't look and feel the same in my hands any more, and in any case a weather-beaten rosary is a sign of a well-used rosary, which is good. I am far too attached to externals when I pray, like the feel of the wood as it moves through my fingers and even the weight of the rosary, the size of the beads. I like it always to feel the same. I hadn't realised that until now.

Today I faced another challenge to my decision not to buy anything: I accidentally put my favourite rosary through the washing machine (a beautiful handmade olivewood one from Bethlehem) and it has lost its warm honey-coloured sheen, the texture has altered, and a couple of beads are chipped. My impulse was to run down the road and get another one like it. They cost the equivalent of $4, so not much. I had to tell myself sternly that it's still good to pray with even if it doesn't look and feel the same in my hands any more, and in any case a weather-beaten rosary is a sign of a well-used rosary, which is good. I am far too attached to externals when I pray, like the feel of the wood as it moves through my fingers and even the weight of the rosary, the size of the beads. I like it always to feel the same. I hadn't realised that until now.

Beatitude, for what it's worth, I once did that with a similar rosary that I was very attached to. But, to my surprise, I discovered that the beads actually regained their shine (or at least some of it) with use. Handling the wooden beads means that they get polished by the oil from our hands. Much later, I discovered that a similar principle applies to leather-bound books - the simple act of handling them with our hands helps to nourish the leather and keep it supple. So, don't give up on your rosary...

I stopped drinking Diet Coke "cold-turkey"about 2 years ago and dropped about 20 pounds without trying,  I was SOOO bad I kept an "emergency" bottle in my car just in case I ran out.  Water is so much better for your health, not to mention cheaper.

Beatitude, for what it's worth, I once did that with a similar rosary that I was very attached to. But, to my surprise, I discovered that the beads actually regained their shine (or at least some of it) with use. Handling the wooden beads means that they get polished by the oil from our hands. Much later, I discovered that a similar principle applies to leather-bound books - the simple act of handling them with our hands helps to nourish the leather and keep it supple. So, don't give up on your rosary...

Some of the beads have turned almost bleach-white, so I doubt it can ever be restored to how it was, but hopefully it will regain a bit of its old lustre. :) If not, I will just learn to like it as it is now - all these little things are important in becoming more detached.

I stopped drinking Diet Coke "cold-turkey"about 2 years ago and dropped about 20 pounds without trying,  I was SOOO bad I kept an "emergency" bottle in my car just in case I ran out.  Water is so much better for your health, not to mention cheaper.

I'm underweight as it is, so I don't think my Diet Coke habit is having this effect on me. I am going to stop cold turkey too. How difficult was that for you? I manage it in Lent but always end up going back to it when Lent is over. I have one last bottle in the house, and when that's gone, I will just carry my water flask everywhere with a bit of lime or lemon in it for flavour.

Some of the beads have turned almost bleach-white, so I doubt it can ever be restored to how it was, but hopefully it will regain a bit of its old lustre. :) If not, I will just learn to like it as it is now - all these little things are important in becoming more detached.

I'm underweight as it is, so I don't think my Diet Coke habit is having this effect on me. I am going to stop cold turkey too. How difficult was that for you? I manage it in Lent but always end up going back to it when Lent is over. I have one last bottle in the house, and when that's gone, I will just carry my water flask everywhere with a bit of lime or lemon in it for flavour.

Good for all of you! I think that I will too--tho' I don't drink much anyway.  Francis Clare--good for you!

We keep water in the frig' in glass bottles. We get copies of old fashioned ones from Lehman's Hardware in Kidron OH, a large store which caters to the Amish and Mennonites there-and is also online:

https://www.lehmans.com/p-3344-old-fashioned-milk-bottles.aspx

...but any glass bottle will do, of course. The effect is like real Coke in those little 6 oz glass bottles: it tastes better.  For unknown reasons, water taste delicious  when drunk from the frig', stored in glass bottles.

Once I made up my mind that I was going to do it, it was not hard at all.  Certainly not as hard as I expected it would be.  I was so addicted to the stuff that I would have a can or bottle in my hand the moment I woke up and one in my hand right before I turned out the light at night to sleep.  As I said, it got so bad that I kept an emergency bottle or can in my car just in case.  I think I drank at least 5 cans or small bottles a day at a minimum.

I haven't been tempted to cheat even if we were out and there was nothing else to drink as the water tasted terrible.  I carry a bottle of flavored Stevia drops in my purse to add to water or unsweetened ice tea.  The plain drops for the tea and Vanilla Creme or Toffee for the water.  My family and friends know that if they offer me any type of diet soda (or any ssugared soda, for that matter) I will deck them !!! :)