An Old School Catholic Message Board

Application Process

katherineH

Hello friends,

I was wondering if the Vocation Directors, current religious, and soon-to-be religious out there could share what the application process is like.  I realize each community is different, but I would love to know more about the process.  It's my understanding that it usually involves an application and a psychiatric evaluation.  For some reason I've always imagined it containing an essay portion, like a college application :D

How long does the process usually take from the moment of first submitting information to receiving a formal invitation to join?

Thanks!

K. 

Edited by katherineH

AccountDeleted

Hello friends,

I was wondering if the Vocation Directors, current religious, and soon-to-be religious out there could share what the application process is like.  I realize each community is different, but I would love to know more about the process.  It's my understanding that it usually involves an application and a psychiatric evaluation.  For some reason I've always imagined it containing an essay portion, like a college application :D

How long does the process usually take from the moment of first submitting information to receiving a formal invitation to join?

Thanks!

K. 

You said it Katherine - every community is different. I have had one psychological evaluation but the other communities didn't use one. I have usually had to write some kind of autobiographical essay about my life and wanting to become a nun.

All of them required a medical exam to determine if I was fit for the life.

All of them required references from priests, friends or flatmates (to make sure I could live with others), employers or other people - usually about three references in all. It helps if one has a SD.

Some communities actually had an application form, but others did not. Just depends on the community.

You said it Katherine - every community is different. I have had one psychological evaluation but the other communities didn't use one. I have usually had to write some kind of autobiographical essay about my life and wanting to become a nun.

All of them required a medical exam to determine if I was fit for the life.

All of them required references from priests, friends or flatmates (to make sure I could live with others), employers or other people - usually about three references in all. It helps if one has a SD.

Some communities actually had an application form, but others did not. Just depends on the community.

Thanks nunsense! Wow references from roommates huh? I had no idea!  Is there something in the code of canon law about how long someone has to have been Catholic to be considered for postulancy? or does that vary by community as well?

AccountDeleted

Thanks nunsense! Wow references from roommates huh? I had no idea!  Is there something in the code of canon law about how long someone has to have been Catholic to be considered for postulancy? or does that vary by community as well?

I think the minimum is 2-3 years (someone with canon law knowledge will no doubt be around to tell you) but I also think that each community looks at the individual and determines whether the minimum is enough time or if they need to grow in the faith a little longer.

Here'san interesting article about wanting to become a nun:

http://anunslife.org/resources/how-to-become-a-catholic-nun 

MarysLittleFlower

I was told 2 years :) are you a convert too KatherineH? :)  

heres Canon law on novitiate: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P24.HTM

I was told 2 years :) are you a convert too KatherineH? :)  

heres Canon law on novitiate: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P24.HTM

yes! I joined in October 2013, so two years in the Fall.  I'm hoping to enter a community next summer, so I was worried that I would miss the 3 year mark by just a few months! That would be quite unfortunate :) When did you join?

Thanks for the reference - it looks like it's up to the discretion of the community.  

AccountDeleted

yes! I joined in October 2013, so two years in the Fall.  I'm hoping to enter a community next summer, so I was worried that I would miss the 3 year mark by just a few months! That would be quite unfortunate :) When did you join?

Thanks for the reference - it looks like it's up to the discretion of the community.  

Yes, it does seem as if the Superior has final say in the matter of admitting candidates. And you will need those Church documents proving Baptism and Confirmation as well (although I attended a conditional Confirmation for one postulant who couldn't remember if she had been confirmed or not and didn't have the document to prove it)! 

Edited by nunsense

MarysLittleFlower

i became Catholic in 2009 :) 

Hello friends,

Thanks!

K. 

I had to meet the Vocations Director several times. After a while I was allocated an SD connected with the society. I had to visit various houses and apostolates around the provinces. I then had to complete a full application form, provide certificates (education, baptism etc), provide four references, complete a 2000 word autobiography (faith journey), have a psychological evaluation and medical clearance. I then had a number of interviews: panels mostly comprised of religious, priests and laity. I then had a final meeting with the provincial rep.

I had done work with dioceses and institutes before this regarding candidiate evaluations, so I think that helped. But it was still a challenge. This, in all,  took over a year for me. I guess it could be longer for others though, depending on work and other factors that could delay things.

Not all institutes are necessarily this detailed though, so it varies. But this, I think, is a good guide of how intense it can seem. They make it as informal as possible and they are rooting for your happiness, at least that was my experience. Knowing that helps at each stage. :cool:

Edited by Benedictus

AccountDeleted

I had to meet the Vocations Director several times. After a while I was allocated an SD connected with the society. I had to visit various houses and apostolates around the provinces. I then had to complete a full application form, provide certificates (education, baptism etc), provide four references, complete a 2000 word autobiography (faith journey), have a psychological evaluation and medical clearance. I then had a number of interviews: panels mostly comprised of religious, priests and laity. I then had a final meeting with the provincial rep.

I had done work with dioceses and institutes before this regarding candidiate evaluations, so I think that helped. But it was still a challenge. This, in all,  took over a year for me. I guess it could be longer for others though, depending on work and other factors that could delay things.

Not all institutes are necessarily this detailed though, so it varies. But this, I think, is a good guide of how intense it can seem. They make it as informal as possible and they are rooting for your happiness, at least that was my experience. Knowing that helps at each stage. :cool:

Wow - very comprehensive process, Ben. What is the retention rate for those who enter after going through this process? Do you think it is higher than in places that have a less complex application process or not?

IgnatiusofLoyola

From what I have read here on Phatmass (so someone please correct me if I'm wrong), it seems as if larger Communities such as the DSMMEs and the Nashville Dominicans are more likely to have a formal application process. (In fact, I've read those interested in the DSMMEs use the phrase "submit my application" as a synonym for deciding to seriously discern with the DSMMEs.)

However, it seems that Communities with a smaller number of nuns/Religious Sisters (and these are probably the majority of Communities) have a more informal process, almost like "dating," where a discerner might write to the Vocation Director of the Community and start a conversation. Depending on how the conversation goes, the discerner might first visit the Community, and later go for a longer "live in." (Live-ins seem more common with cloistered Communities, although some active Communities have them, too.) At some point in this process, the aspirant will probably write an autobiography or vocation story, submit references, have a physical (and possibly psychological) exam, but exactly when that happens in the process might differ. Also, the applicant needs to be approved by the Community, or at least the leaders. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this.) And, I'd assume the "final approval" process is probably somewhat different for Communities with large postulant classes. (I assume that personal interviews come into it somewhere, but I don't know how it works if there are 20-30 serious aspirants to be evaluated.)

Bottom line: I guess the conclusion is to do your own research to narrow down the Community or Communities in which you are most interested, contact the Vocation Director, and then follow her lead as to the next steps. For the large Communities, you might have to wait several months (or longer) until there is a formal discerners retreat.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

sr.christinaosf

In our Community of Franciscan Sisters, one is an affiliate for a time before even applying for postulancy.  I visited back and forth for some months before entering postulancy.  I don't remember much about any application for affiliature.  I did meet and visit with Sr. Donna (then provincial superior).  When I entered postulancy or novitiate I had to write an autobiography and submit sacramental documents as well as a letter from my pastor. 

Wow - very comprehensive process, Ben. What is the retention rate for those who enter after going through this process? Do you think it is higher than in places that have a less complex application process or not?

There seems to be a better retention rate. I've heard that between 1/4 and 1/3 of those that enter the society leave at some point during formation. But that, at least for us, is over nearly a decade long period before taking final vows. That appears better than many institutes that have a higher exit rate early on.

However, I'm told that the society VD's get loads of emails and interest -  but many don't follow through. I guess a process with more hurdles can help some know it's not for them, sooner rather than later. That could save effort and disapointment on all sides. However, It could be possible some suitable and good candidates get put off at the early stages if there's a complicated and or long process. It's a tricky thing to get right. Some people, in my experience, can also be put off by psych evaluations too. I think it's a perception issue but, on the whole, they are a good tool for developing a personality profile.

Edited by Benedictus

AccountDeleted

There seems to be a better retention rate. I've heard that between 1/4 and 1/3 of those that enter the society leave at some point during formation. But that, at least for us, is over nearly a decade long period before taking final vows. That appears better than many institutes that have a higher exit rate early on.

However, I'm told that the society VD's get loads of emails and interest -  but many don't follow through. I guess a process with more hurdles can help some know it's not for them, sooner rather than later. That could save effort and disapointment on all sides. However, It could be possible some suitable and good candidates get put off at the early stages if there's a complicated and or long process. It's a tricky thing to get right. Some people, in my experience, can also be put off by psych evaluations too. I think it's a perception issue but, on the whole, they are a good tool for developing a personality profile.

My psych eval felt a bit like a formality that had to be observed rather than a real tool for discernment. It reminded me a bit of those psych evals that employers give where they ask you really strange questions like 'Do your palms sweat when you are approached by a supervisor?' or 'Do you ever felt so angry you want to lash out at someone?' 

I mean, even if you did feel either of those things, would you be inclined to answer them truthfully? It's like when you are asked 'Have you ever plotted the violent overthrow of the government?' What person in their right mind would answer yes? I suppose that's the secret - are you in your right mind? But it does seem just a bit obvious. Anyway, my psych eval was an interview - no written part - and it was friendly and more like a social chat than a test, so I didn't mind it. I understand I got off easier than some.

Yes, true.

'Have you ever plotted the violent overthrow of the government?' People could think that was a trick question for someone trying to enter the Jesuits :smile4: Thankfully I wasn't asked;)