An Old School Catholic Message Board

Application Process

katherineH

TheresaThoma

Yes, true.

'Have you ever plotted the violent overthrow of the government?' People could think that was a trick question for someone trying to enter the Jesuits :smile4: Thankfully I wasn't asked;)

I once had to submit a security clearance form and there was a similar question "Have your ever knowingly contributed to or been a member of an organization dedicated to the violent overthrow of the US government?" You just had to check yes or no

With the number of years you have to be Catholic I don't think there is a precise number, 2-3 years is typically the minimum but VDs are looking for spiritual maturity. Many convert go through a "honeymoon" stage right after they convert. Which is great but the desire to follow the Lord then may not be an actual vocation to religious life. I entered the Church in 2011 (had my conversion experience in 2009) so I have 4 years now in the Church and looking back I was not ready a year or two ago to enter a religious community. It can be hard to wait but definitely worth it.

The application process from what I understand for the community I am discerning with is pretty simple. I would need to write a letter/autobiography, get a letter from a priest (preferably my Spiritual Director), submit my baptismal and confirmation certificate and go through basic physicals. There may be a few other things but since I'm not officially in the application process yet I don't know.

I once had to submit a security clearance form and there was a similar question "Have your ever knowingly contributed to or been a member of an organization dedicated to the violent overthrow of the US government?" You just had to check yes or no

With the number of years you have to be Catholic I don't think there is a precise number, 2-3 years is typically the minimum but VDs are looking for spiritual maturity. Many convert go through a "honeymoon" stage right after they convert. Which is great but the desire to follow the Lord then may not be an actual vocation to religious life. I entered the Church in 2011 (had my conversion experience in 2009) so I have 4 years now in the Church and looking back I was not ready a year or two ago to enter a religious community. It can be hard to wait but definitely worth it.

The application process from what I understand for the community I am discerning with is pretty simple. I would need to write a letter/autobiography, get a letter from a priest (preferably my Spiritual Director), submit my baptismal and confirmation certificate and go through basic physicals. There may be a few other things but since I'm not officially in the application process yet I don't know.

Oh my goodness yes, I had to answer a question like that when I was submitting my US visa application. I was tempted for a minute to answer yes just to see what would happen! Would my computer shut down and an armed vehicle come screeching to my door? I honestly don't know why they include that when nobody in their right mind is going to answer yes - maybe legal purposes??

PS and I do remember a couple of years ago when you really wanted to enter and couldn't. I'm glad you stuck it out and waited too :) It is always worth it. Every year or couple of years, I look back and realise that there are things I know, that I didn't even know I didn't know! :hehe:

Edited by marigold

AccountDeleted

Oh my goodness yes, I had to answer a question like that when I was submitting my US visa application. I was tempted for a minute to answer yes just to see what would happen! Would my computer shut down and an armed vehicle come screeching to my door? I honestly don't know why they include that when nobody in their right mind is going to answer yes - maybe legal purposes??

Oh yeah, if you are plotting such a thing, would stop at a lie? And if they put it in their for legal reasons, what,are they going to charge you with perjury instead of terrorism? It's just weird.

He is Risen!

The community I was in was very thorough.  The first step was after several visits to fill out an application.  Then more visiting, then they told me to wait a year.  During that year I stayed connected to the community by coming to days of prayer and volunteer things and took that year off to do mission work as they had recommended.  When I finally got the go ahead, I went on a 2 week retreat with the community. The Psych evaluation took forever; it had a take home portion with essay questions, fill in the blank questions, parts where you draw a picture, and then the formal interview.  I wonder if the psych part was like that because it was with Fr. Benedict Groeschel and that was his background, even an ink blot test!  After that all got the green light, I had my medical exam, dental exam, and during this time I had been trying to drum up enough money to cover the first year of health insurance.  (That was crazy, btw) The last step and what I was doing right up until entrance was shopping the list of stuff to bring with me.  It was a whirlwind!

Spem in alium

Hello there.

I am currently an aspirant. When I was applying, I met with the Vocations Director a few times and had to submit: a form with general questions about myself; a spiritual autobiography (the Sisters gave me questions to follow); information regarding finances; medical information (past medications, etc.); a doctor's report (because of a particular medical issue); proof I had received the Sacraments; around three references; academic transcripts; my CV. 

I had to wait a fair while before I heard anything about my acceptance (at least four months) because Sisters were away, and because of the doctor's report (he took ages to get back to me). It was a stressful but very blessed time.

It is my hope to apply for postulancy, and this will again be a formal application with medical and psychological tests. 

Drawing a picture?!? I'd probably be turned away from my drawing skills being so poor, I'd probably have my picture misinterpreted as something ominous. 

Ive heard that in the past, but possibly still on some applications now, there was the question "are you of legitimate birth?"  I understand what it means but Im not catching on to why it would need to be asked?  Were people refused entry due to that? 

Sponsa-Christi

Ive heard that in the past, but possibly still on some applications now, there was the question "are you of legitimate birth?"  I understand what it means but Im not catching on to why it would need to be asked?  Were people refused entry due to that? 

At one point, being of illegitimate birth was an impediment to becoming a superior. (I believe this law/custom originated in the middle ages to prevent wealthy nobles from endowing a monastery and then setting up their illegitimate children as the abbot or abbess.) Currently, not being of legitimate birth isn't an impediment to anything, but some communities still have a custom of asking about this or requesting a copy of a candidate's parents' marriage certificate.  

At one point, being of illegitimate birth was an impediment to becoming a superior. (I believe this law/custom originated in the middle ages to prevent wealthy nobles from endowing a monastery and then setting up their illegitimate children as the abbot or abbess.) Currently, not being of legitimate birth isn't an impediment to anything, but some communities still have a custom of asking about this or requesting a copy of a candidate's parents' marriage certificate.  

Thanks for your answer, I never would have guessed that!  Talk about  convent intrigue, no wonder there were reforms!