An Old School Catholic Message Board

Orthodox Nun with goats - Marigold

das8949

Now I want goats.

What does goat taste like?

Oily with a lot of bones. Not my favorite meat...

What's wrong with the top of that baby goat's head?

Pax_et bonum

What's wrong with the top of that baby goat's head?

Probably it's from disbudding, or removing the buds that would have become the goat's horns. It's done for the safety of the goat, its fellow goats, and the owners.

Probably it's from disbudding, or removing the buds that would have become the goat's horns. It's done for the safety of the goat, its fellow goats, and the owners.

Huh. I figured it had something to do with the horns, but didn't know they remove them. Thanks! 

Huh. I figured it had something to do with the horns, but didn't know they remove them. Thanks! 

Yeah, and when they are removed, you have to do it when they're young like that, otherwise they will bleed to death ):

puellapaschalis

Now I'm equating disbudding with piercing small children's ears because then it won't hurt so much.

(I was six. It really hurt!)

(When I had my ears pierced, I mean. I cover up my horns with my hair and mantilla when in church)

To me, goat milk and goat cheese tastes like dirty socks. Very gamey.  A friend of mine made French silk pie but didn't mention it was made with goat milk. We all took one bite and thought the milk she made it with was sour.  Left the rest on our plates. :o

I watched on Dr Pol that they actually burn off the goat horn buds. They don't care for it but it's over fast and then they go on doing their little goat things. 

Strictlyinkblot

Now I'm equating disbudding with piercing small children's ears because then it won't hurt so much.

(I was six. It really hurt!)

(When I had my ears pierced, I mean. I cover up my horns with my hair and mantilla when in church)

There's a good reason to cover your head in church

puellapaschalis

There's a good reason to cover your head in church

Small marginal note in most Pauline manuscripts that somehow didn't make it into the canon.

To me, goat milk and goat cheese tastes like dirty socks. Very gamey.  A friend of mine made French silk pie but didn't mention it was made with goat milk. We all took one bite and thought the milk she made it with was sour.  Left the rest on our plates. :o

I watched on Dr Pol that they actually burn off the goat horn buds. They don't care for it but it's over fast and then they go on doing their little goat things. 

....what is this silk pie of which you speak? Is it like this? (All praise the Pioneer Woman, btw. That lady taught me how to make proper mashed potato and French onion soup)

It takes so little to make some people happy...

Ok so something actually vocation-related: once I went in to lunch to discover we were having lasagne - at the time my all-time favourite thing to eat. I realised that life in the monastery was so simple that the thought of lasagne for lunch just made my day. And that made me happy, because if your life is simple enough that a lunch dish cheers you from having done some gardening (or whatever it was that had made me grumpy), then that life is a good life.