crusader1234 Posted June 15, 2004 Posted June 15, 2004 well I did warn you that its irreverent... its still funny to me, although it isnt that great for people who dont know better to be laughhing at
the protector Posted June 15, 2004 Posted June 15, 2004 [quote]Television in the United States seems to be a tool of the devil himself. Even a show as seeminly tame as "Everybody Loves Raymond" is an example of poor family values, sexual obsession, and sibling rivalry which, if not overtly, then at least subconsciously depresses the moral fabric by which we must live. If I were in control, I would "censor" the whole lot of it![/quote] Well, I'm glad you are not in control.
voiciblanche Posted June 15, 2004 Posted June 15, 2004 I watched about half of an episode of Family Guy because Seth Green is on it... but I didn't like the show very much.
crusader1234 Posted June 15, 2004 Posted June 15, 2004 [quote]Well, I'm glad you are not in control. [/quote]" hahaha
Thy Geekdom Come Posted June 15, 2004 Posted June 15, 2004 [quote]Well, I'm glad you are not in control.[/quote] Ouch. Bitter. God bless you!
Thy Geekdom Come Posted June 15, 2004 Posted June 15, 2004 [quote]Well, I'm glad you are not in control.[/quote] I'll tell you what, if you support the Campaign Finance Reform or the Fairness Act, then you have no room to criticize me.
crusader1234 Posted June 15, 2004 Posted June 15, 2004 Wow, the vagina Monologues are barely mentioned in this thread nowadays.
thicke Posted June 15, 2004 Posted June 15, 2004 [quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 15 2004, 05:04 PM'] Wow, the vagina Monologues are barely mentioned in this thread nowadays. [/quote] The what? Who? Huh? That's this thread?????
Soldier4Him Posted June 15, 2004 Posted June 15, 2004 Now they will be. This thread exploded overnight. Wow. Anywho. I'm slightly angerd by some posts, and I'm gonna try to respond as politely as I can and state my opinion. For those of you against the monologues, I see your point. And as someone said earlier, you cannot make a judgement on something you don't know much about, have never read, or never seen before. Yes, Eve Ensler travelled the world interviewing millions of women about their past. She used all the information she gathered to write the monologues. They are based on this lives of the women she interviewed. But, these monologues are NOT kiddy porn. For one thing, I totally agree they should not be produced in high schools. The maturity level isn't high enough, and the actresses chosen need to be 18. These monologues can ONLY be produced if the proceeds go to a local rape and abuse crisis center. The purpose of the monolgues is not to explict children, or produce porn, and put on a sexually explicit production. That is the last thing it is meant to do. It is here to RAISE AWARENESS of the horrors in the world that have been committed against women. The content is mature, yes. But NO, the actresses do not act things out on stage. Hence the name monologues. We put this on at my college every year as a fundraiser for the local crisis center, and this past year we had over 500 people attend, and raised over $3000 for the rape and abuse crisis center. Please, I am extremely farmiliar with the show. I've seen it. Granted I haven't acted in it for personal reasons, I know what a good thing it is. Many women are touched so deeply they are moved to tears. It lets people know how horrific things have been, and that people who come to the show and have experienced something like that, THEY ARE NOT ALONE. Eve's motives are purely to help other women! Not to exploit children. In the "lesbian monologue", they don't cast a 16 year old girl to read that part, and never would. Please understand where I'm coming from here. And respect my opinions, and I will respect yours. But if you have questions about the show, ASK ME! Don't make judgements. Only God can do that. Thanks. ~Alissa
cmotherofpirl Posted June 15, 2004 Posted June 15, 2004 If it is not in keeping with Catholic morality it has no business in a Catholic school. Period.
popestpiusx Posted June 16, 2004 Posted June 16, 2004 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jun 15 2004, 07:37 PM'] If it is not in keeping with Catholic morality it has no business in a Catholic school. Period. [/quote] This is getting scary, cmom, but once again we are in total agreement. There is no excuse for bringing that carp into Catholic schools (or any other schools either). Just because proceeds go to a charity means nothing. Are these pro-life crisis centers? That would be a good question to ask. Not likely if planned parenthood supports the monologues, which they do. This is nothing but another dose of pagan feminism being shoved down the throats of unsuspecting college kids. There is no place for it.
crusader1234 Posted June 16, 2004 Posted June 16, 2004 I'm not sure what you mean by Pagan feminisim, do you want to explain? I still cant get over the fact that a 13 year old (The very lowest age of consent is 14 in North America) is portrayed as having experienced good rape. I'm all for ending domestic abuse and exposing it, but how does talking about 'good rape' help end abuse? It totally glorifies it. Do you want to explain how this works?
popestpiusx Posted June 16, 2004 Posted June 16, 2004 [quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 15 2004, 10:40 PM'] I'm not sure what you mean by Pagan feminisim, do you want to explain? I still cant get over the fact that a 13 year old (The very lowest age of consent is 14 in North America) is portrayed as having experienced good rape. I'm all for ending domestic abuse and exposing it, but how does talking about 'good rape' help end abuse? It totally glorifies it. Do you want to explain how this works? [/quote] Who are you asking these questions?
crusader1234 Posted June 16, 2004 Posted June 16, 2004 Oh hey sorry, the first one about pagan feminism is to you, I dont disagree with you but just thought I would clarify on the definition before I agreed. The other statements were directed at soldier4him.
thicke Posted June 16, 2004 Posted June 16, 2004 [quote name='popestpiusx' date='Jun 15 2004, 09:34 PM'] This is getting scary, cmom, but once again we are in total agreement. [/quote] Oh gosh...It's all three of us that agree. Somewhere there's a guy with a pointed tail and pitch fork complaining about how cold it is.....
Thy Geekdom Come Posted June 16, 2004 Posted June 16, 2004 [quote] Oh gosh...It's all three of us that agree. Somewhere there's a guy with a pointed tail and pitch fork complaining about how cold it is..... [/quote] All four of us...and I bet Al is here too...
Soldier4Him Posted June 16, 2004 Posted June 16, 2004 hey crusader. first off guys, thanks for listening to my side. and YES i agree that the subject matter isn't the most appropriate thing on the planet. and as far as the 13 year old "good rape" monologue, my school didn't perform that one, so i can't answer to it. i only am going to answer to what i'm farmiliar with. as far as where the money is going, it's different with every place that puts it on. we gave it to a rape and abuse crisis center. whoever puts on the monologues decides where it goes, it just has to "benefit" women who have been raped or abused.
crusader1234 Posted June 16, 2004 Posted June 16, 2004 A lot of the time rape is used as a reason for abortion, so I wouldnt be surprised. And we arent saying this play should be destroyed, it just has no place in Catholic schools. Peace, Rich
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now