Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Vagina Monologues Banned


Recommended Posts

Soldier4Him
Posted

Fair enough Rich.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote]And we arent saying this play should be destroyed, it just has no place in Catholic schools.
[/quote]

I'm saying that it should be destroyed. All rights come from God. We have no right to sin or to be a party to sin. Therefore, this play has no right to exist.

crusader1234
Posted

I disagree Micah, while the play is totally disgusting, it should not be destroyed - although I do have a large question as to where this play WOULD be appropriate. In any event, God gives us free will to sin, and we do have the freedom to be party to sin. Granted, that does not make it right.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote]In any event, God gives us free will to sin, and we do have the freedom to be party to sin. Granted, that does not make it right.

[/quote]

Exactly. It is not a right to sin. The government should afford people no more and no less rights than God does. That is only justice.

crusader1234
Posted

The last thing that world leaders need is a god complex!

Posted

Wow, who would have thought this thread would be five pages long?!

Soldier4Him, I hope you weren't offended too much. I'm not against anyone helping women, but like I said, the ends don't justify the means. As a Catholic Christian, something such as sexual immorality is very dangerous, spiritually. While rape is absolutely horrible, there are no eternal consequences that resulted from the rape for the women who were raped. When one engages in sexual immorality and condones it (as is the case with this play), the people viewing the play could put their souls at risk -- and the consequences could be eternal. Yes, helping women in trouble is good, but not if it puts the eternal lives of others at risk. That is the worst thing of all.

I agree that this play isn't actually showing the things it depicts, and thank God for that. But talking about sexually explicit stuff is still extremely sinful from a moral perspective. Talking about a sexual relationship with a child is extremely sinful (and sex with a minor is even illegal in some states). One doesn't have to be engaging in sexual acts to be sexually immoral or explicit.

Like I said in a previous post, I can't help but wonder if these rape and crisis centers also support abortion. Let's face it: Many secular rape and crisis centers offer the "Morning After Pill" for rape victims, and this can act as an abortifacient, i.e., it could harm or kill the preborn embryonic child. Abortion is incredibly anti-women, and it kills children. Of course, this is exceedingly wrong.

Thank you for being polite in your post.

God bless,

Jennifer

crusader1234
Posted

Jen, not sure if you missed it, but we found out that the minor part involved a 13 year old and a 24 year old - which is illegal throughout North America. The end of that monologue had the 13 year old saying 'well if it was rape, it was a good rape'. I dont see how this helps women in any way shape or form - the more I find out about this play the more I question how much its actually helping [i]anyone[/i].

Peace,

Rich

Posted

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 16 2004, 05:06 AM'] Jen, not sure if you missed it, but we found out that the minor part involved a 13 year old and a 24 year old - which is illegal throughout North America. The end of that monologue had the 13 year old saying 'well if it was rape, it was a good rape'. I dont see how this helps women in any way shape or form - the more I find out about this play the more I question how much its actually helping [i]anyone[/i].

Peace,

Rich [/quote]
I hear you, Rich. The fact that it involves a 13-year-old makes me think even worse of this play, and you know I've despised it from the get-go. It's explicit and mortally sinful.

God bless,

Jen

crusader1234
Posted

Maybe somewhere out there there is a play about domestic and sexual abuse that does a good job of portraying it. Then again, that probably wouldnt get any media attention because it is 'good' rather than controversial.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote] The last thing that world leaders need is a god complex!
[/quote]

That is what the world already has. Our leaders aren't humble, they're proud and they think they have all the authority in the world to do what they want. What the world needs most is legislators who follow God's law in making theirs.

Soldier4Him
Posted

Wow. I'm bowing out of this arguement. I don't want to be offensive, and I'm bowing out now so I won't be. Thanks everyone.

Posted

I think that if the title of this play didn't have the word "Vagina" in it, then nobody would be talking about it right now.

:rolleyes:

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote] I think that if the title of this play didn't have the word "Vagina" in it, then nobody would be talking about it right now.
[/quote]

Actually, I think it's the word "monologues"... :P

Posted

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 16 2004, 03:06 AM'] Jen, not sure if you missed it, but we found out that the minor part involved a 13 year old and a 24 year old - which is illegal throughout North America. The end of that monologue had the 13 year old saying 'well if it was rape, it was a good rape'. I dont see how this helps women in any way shape or form - the more I find out about this play the more I question how much its actually helping [i]anyone[/i].

Peace,

Rich [/quote]
[b][color=red]The end of that monologue had the 13 year old saying 'well if it was rape, it was a good rape'.[/color][/b]

That disgusts me- IM THIRTEEN!!!!! AND THAT ABSOLUTLY DISGUSTS ME!!!!!!!!!

sorry but I absolutly HATE the way our culture misuses sex like this

as someone said before, the play should be banned at all Catholic Colleges-and I say everywhere else.

I read somewhere that it was being performed at a public middle school- which again disgusts me. and parents didnt mind they thought it was funny.


UGH!!! :angry:

crusader1234
Posted

wow im pretty sure this is the first time a dicussion with two sides has ended so well. :cyclops:

Posted

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 16 2004, 07:42 PM'] wow im pretty sure this is the first time a dicussion with two sides has ended so well. :cyclops: [/quote]
We have to be nice...There's no more Back Alley....

:lol:

popestpiusx
Posted

[quote name='Soldier4Him' date='Jun 16 2004, 03:02 PM'] Wow. I'm bowing out of this arguement. I don't want to be offensive, and I'm bowing out now so I won't be. Thanks everyone. [/quote]
Offending [u]people[/u] is the least of your concerns if you support anything remotely close to that play.

Posted

[quote name='Apollo' date='Jun 16 2004, 09:18 PM'] I think that if the title of this play didn't have the word "Vagina" in it, then nobody would be talking about it right now. [/quote]
Hi Apollo,

I doubt that. I have no problem with the word vagina. It's just the name for a certain part of the female anatomy; it's just a medical term. I don't think that this has anything to do with Catholic dislike of the play. Any orthodox Catholic would have serious problems with [i]American Pie[/i], and this movie doesn't say vagina nearly as much as "The Vagina Monologues."

God bless,

Jen

Posted

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 16 2004, 09:42 PM'] wow im pretty sure this is the first time a dicussion with two sides has ended so well. :cyclops: [/quote]
I agree. It did go pretty well. :)

God bless,

Jen

Posted

[quote]QUOTE (Apollo @ Jun 16 2004, 09:18 PM)
I think that if the title of this play didn't have the word "Vagina" in it, then nobody would be talking about it right now. 


Hi Apollo,

I doubt that. I have no problem with the word vagina. It's just the name for a certain part of the female anatomy; it's just a medical term. I don't think that this has anything to do with Catholic dislike of the play. Any orthodox Catholic would have serious problems with American Pie, and this movie doesn't say vagina nearly as much as "The Vagina Monologues."

God bless,

Jen [/quote]

Hi Jen,

I just meant in general. People in general. The title is an attention getter, and it draws people in. It was also supposed to be a joke...but I guess it wasn't very funny. :( :unsure:

Peace and Love,

Apollo

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...