An Old School Catholic Message Board

Purgatory

ironmonk

[quote]However, it would be in error to say, as broadly as Ironmonk did, that [/quote]

No it would not be in error. Read the first line on my post above: Jun 20 2004, 05:25 PM .

As I have already stated previously on this thread and many times on this board that "infallible" is in reference to not erring in matters of faith and morals.

The Catholic Church is infallible.

[quote]The (caustic) comment made about the world being flat was really not a relevent point, due to the fact that it was not a matter of faith or morals, though many people attempted, falsely, to make it into one.[/quote]

If you are refering to Galileo, this article touches on it nicely:
[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/galileo_controversy.asp"]http://www.catholic.com/library/galileo_controversy.asp[/url]

God Bless,
ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

Guest JeffCR07

lol, Ironmonk, yet again, we are simply having semantical difficulties. My post was not intended to fight or contradict anything that you have said (in fact, I fully endorse what you have said). I was simply making a point that it cannot be stressed enough when dealing with apologetics that the Catholic Church is "infallible with regards to matters of faith and morals." We, as apologists, should try to keep to that phrase in its entirety. Otherwise someone will, despite the number of times you have clarified what you mean, drag the argument into a direction that isn't conductive for the conversation.

Also - LOVED the article. So many people are so quick to assume that Rome is corrupt and degenerate. I wish they would actually look up the issues.

Also, just as a side note, we should all remember that there is a difference between the Church being infallible on matters of faith and morals and certain people being infallible on matters of faith and morals. If one refers to my previous post, or any of Apotheoun's posts on the issue, we can see that "the Church" teaches on matters of faith and morals in the ways described.

- Your Brother in Christ, Jeff