An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guilt after a party where friends smoked a lot

NadaTeTurbe

julianneoflongbeach

Yeah...none of this ever appeared mortal. Peeps on this thread either have forgotten or have never known what is like to be young with no funds &/or transportation. :ohno:

:hotstuff: happens

Well, I think it's the end of a friendship that we have here. He responded to me, he apologized about me sleeping on the floor, and more or less apologized about the drugs, but he adds other things about how I was more funny before (There was a time where I was far from God and did not act according to the Church teaching, but it's over since a moment), and something about my ex-boyfriend that was really inconvenant. It just make me angry, but the apology was not sincere, and the rest is... Well, not what I would expect of him. I will be praying for him tonight, and for me to calm down. Please pray for us. 

Foremost among the soul's affections is love. Love is the ruler of every motion of the heart; drawing all to itself, and making us like to that we love. Beware, then, my child, of harbouring any evil affection, or you too will become evil. And friendship is the most dangerous of all affections, because any other love may exist without much mental communication, but as friendship is founded thereon, it is hardly possible to be closely bound by its ties to any one without sharing in his qualities.

All love is not friendship, for one may love without any return, and friendship implies mutual love. Further, those who are bound by such affection must be conscious that it is reciprocal,-- otherwise there may be love but not friendship; and moreover, there must be something communicated between the friends as a solid foundation of friendship" 

St Francis of Sales in the Introduction to the Devout life 

I will speak about all of this on my confession, and I think it will be a great occasion to speak about my general attitude with my friends - I can be very angry and judgmental to my close friend, who are all too patient with me... 

Edited by NadaTeTurbe

Maria_Faustina

Well, I think it's the end of a friendship that we have here. He responded to me, he apologized about me sleeping on the floor, and more or less apologized about the drugs, but he adds other things about how I was more funny before (There was a time where I was far from God and did not act according to the Church teaching, but it's over since a moment), and something about my ex-boyfriend that was really inconvenant. It just make me angry, but the apology was not sincere, and the rest is... Well, not what I would expect of him. I will be praying for him tonight, and for me to calm down. Please pray for us.

Prayers, certainly. I have been in the same position where two of my closest friends (at the time) told me that, since the few months since I had come back to the Faith, I was no longer fun to hang out with and that I was no longer interesting, because I would not join them in talking about many of the topics they liked. They liked me better when I wasn't Christian. It hurt terribly. I knew having Jesus was better than having them as friends, or having any friends at all, but it was still very difficult emotionally. Prayers, my friend. :pray:

Is smoking weed a sin? If drinking isn't a sin I don't really see how smoking weed is.

I don't do drugs (other than alcohol) by the way. Mostly because of the commercial with the guy with the egg though. . .

it is possible to drink in moderation. one can drink without getting drunk.

it is impossible to smoke weed in moderation. one smokes in order to get high. that's the point.

I don't do either. the price of excellence is discipline. 

it is possible to drink in moderation. one can drink without getting drunk.

it is impossible to smoke weed in moderation. one smokes in order to get high. that's the point.

I don't do either. the price of excellence is discipline. 

"Drunk" is rather arbitrary is it not? Whether you have one drink or 10 I think the basic effect on the body is the same. The only difference is one of degree, right? I am not sure how 1 drink versus 10 drinks is all that different than 1 joint versus 10 joints.

I dunno very many weed heads but I dunno if they necessarily smoke weed because they want to go flying off to the land of pink unicorns. . . maybe they just have 1 joint to relax, just like people have 1 drink to relax. I don't do it, but I have thought about trying it now that it is legal in a lot of places. It wouldn't be because I want to go to la-la land. I would probably try it for the same reason I have a drink. Just to relax or help me mellow out a bit after some stress . . .

Weed also has some legitimate medical uses, and from what some folks say, is actually less damaging to the body than booze.

It just seems a bit arbitrary to me that one should be a sin and the other should not . . . we can drink booze which is a poison. We can smoke tobacco which gives us cancer. But if someone lights up some green stuff instead it becomes a sin?  Dunno about that.

I'm tired. Here's an article that goes over both sides: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/to-puff-or-not-to-puff/

I think its a sin. I think smoking tobacco is a sin. not a mortal you're going to hell thing, but a fault, certainly. 

Maybe smoking is a sin. But I would think that being overweight, not eating right, not getting enough exercise, working too much, etc. would have to be as well (if your rationale is that tobacco causes harm to the body).

Nihil Obstat

I do not think that smoking tobacco could possibly be considered a sin, unless one does it for the express purpose of damaging his body.

I do not think that smoking tobacco could possibly be considered a sin, unless one does it for the express purpose of damaging his body.

What about smoking with the knowledge that it likely will cause damage? 

Not all faults are sinful. 

That's true. I think smoking is a fault that is a sin. If its a deliberate choice, full consent of the will - the usual conditions in other words.

A balanced diet can include some junk food. Even the worst food has some nutritive value. Being obese might be a sin, if it is a result of deliberate choices to commit overeating and omit being active. It is one of the worst things you can do for your health.

Smoking is one of the most damaging  things you can do to your body, and most people who do it, know that, and they do it anyway.

Tobacco, like marijuana, cannot be smoked in moderation, in my opinion. There is no healthy routine that can include smoking. You can drink moderate amounts of alcohol without risking serious harm to your health. I do not believe you can smoke any amount without risking serious harm to your health.

We are forbidden from being reckless and endangering our lives for the "fun" of it.

The risks associated with a smoking habit are dire. There are no steps that can be taken to redress that serious risk; forget "light" cigarettes. Therefore smoking falls into the category of things we must not do for recreation.

My sweetie smokes, and if he does not quit, I will not marry him. Every time he smokes a cigarette, he is choosing them despite the serious risk that they will mean a shorter life with me and the other people he is responsible for. Nope. Find another way to relax.

So that includes just about nobody?

I think, if you look at the history of drug use and the church, it seems to me that alcohol and stimulants are more or less given a free pass (nicotine, caffeine, coca leaves) whereas all other drugs are bad bad scary things unless a doctor prescribes them to you.

And the idea that one cannot use mj in moderation, or that it is unequivocally dangerous, is silly to me, but I don't want to debate this as it's been done before and I don't think anyone is ready to change their mind.

That's true. I think smoking is a fault that is a sin. If its a deliberate choice, full consent of the will - the usual conditions in other words.

A balanced diet can include some junk food. Even the worst food has some nutritive value. Being obese might be a sin, if it is a result of deliberate choices to commit overeating and omit being active. It is one of the worst things you can do for your health.

Smoking is one of the most damaging  things you can do to your body, and most people who do it, know that, and they do it anyway.

Tobacco, like marijuana, cannot be smoked in moderation, in my opinion. There is no healthy routine that can include smoking. You can drink moderate amounts of alcohol without risking serious harm to your health. I do not believe you can smoke any amount without risking serious harm to your health.

We are forbidden from being reckless and endangering our lives for the "fun" of it.

The risks associated with a smoking habit are dire. There are no steps that can be taken to redress that serious risk; forget "light" cigarettes. Therefore smoking falls into the category of things we must not do for recreation.

My sweetie smokes, and if he does not quit, I will not marry him. Every time he smokes a cigarette, he is choosing them despite the serious risk that they will mean a shorter life with me and the other people he is responsible for. Nope. Find another way to relax.

Hm. Disagree. But frankly, I don't really care for this debate. I've had it plenty of times, with plenty of people. Having it on phatmass isn't going to convince me to change my position, and I doubt I could change yours. We could argue in circles, but I don't really think anyone would gain from that.  

Hm. Disagree. But frankly, I don't really care for this debate. I've had it plenty of times, with plenty of people. Having it on phatmass isn't going to convince me to change my position, and I doubt I could change yours. We could argue in circles, but I don't really think anyone would gain from that.  

OK, agree to disagree.

If you smoke tobacco, each cigarette you finish takes 11 minutes off the average lifetime.  I am much less versed on the effects of smoking marijuana plants as opposed to tobacco plants. But God did not design human lungs to repeatedly breath in smoke from burning organic material.

There are many, many ways to relax  that do not shorten life. There are many ways to have fun that do not have significant irremediable health risks.  Especially for people who have responsibilities in life (elderly parents, spouses, children,) the decision to smoke a cigarette, knowing that by doing so they run a signification risk of shaving minutes from their lifetime, is a moral question.