An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guilt after a party where friends smoked a lot

NadaTeTurbe

I don't have advice on this debate. I don't smoke (anymore... okay, I smoked between my 15 and 17, maybe), but sometimes I feel like I'm the only catholic who don't smoke. In my catholic college, everybody smoke. I think smoking is an unnecessary risk and waste of monney. Also, I saw reportage on the tobacco industry, and I don't want to give them any of my monney, urg. And about marijuana... Outside of the effect on the body, that I saw on my sister, the marijuana that smoke my friends, we don't know where it come from, but it's likely that it come from human trafficking. Enough for me. When we consume something, we need to ask ourselves, not only "what effect does it have on my body ?", but also "what effect does it have on society ?" 

Anyway, today I was lucky to be able to go to confession, with an unknown priest. He gave me great advice and penance, and I feel so much better now. He gave me a lot of "oraison jaculatoire" (i don't know how to translate... it's little sentences, often from the Bible, that you say all day... like "Lord, save me", "Sacred Heart of Jesus, I trust you" "You are the way, the truth, the life") to say all day, even when I'm with friend, so I never forget to put Jesus first :) 

I don't have advice on this debate. I don't smoke (anymore... okay, I smoked between my 15 and 17, maybe), but sometimes I feel like I'm the only catholic who don't smoke. In my catholic college, everybody smoke. I think smoking is an unnecessary risk and waste of monney. Also, I saw reportage on the tobacco industry, and I don't want to give them any of my monney, urg. And about marijuana... Outside of the effect on the body, that I saw on my sister, the marijuana that smoke my friends, we don't know where it come from, but it's likely that it come from human trafficking. Enough for me. When we consume something, we need to ask ourselves, not only "what effect does it have on my body ?", but also "what effect does it have on society ?" 

Anyway, today I was lucky to be able to go to confession, with an unknown priest. He gave me great advice and penance, and I feel so much better now. He gave me a lot of "oraison jaculatoire" (i don't know how to translate... it's little sentences, often from the Bible, that you say all day... like "Lord, save me", "Sacred Heart of Jesus, I trust you" "You are the way, the truth, the life") to say all day, even when I'm with friend, so I never forget to put Jesus first :) 

Ejaculatory prayer. :) And you make great points. Most of the people I know who use marijuana would consider themselves all for equality and social justice but don't seem to have any concern or consideration for how that drug is getting to them.