An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Orders Should I Look At?

Julie

So, after an awful lot of stubborness and hesitation on my part, I've come to realize that I'm probably-almost-certainly meant to devote myself to Christ in the consecrated life.

My spiritual director's encouraged me to start looking at communities, but I don't really know how to go about it! I know having a "checklist" isn't the right way to think about this, but perhaps it's okay as a way of starting out. Here's what I'm thinking:

Active- From a very early age, I've known that I'm called to evangelize in some really direct way. Even before the thought of religious life crossed my mind, I've heard God very distinctly telling me "spread My truth." I've hemmed and hawed and tried to squeeze that directive into more convenient shapes, but I can't deny that that is what He wants me to do. Sooooo, I'm probably not called to the cloister.

But not, like, a "missionary" the way I think of it- The thing is, I'm not sure if I would be best suited for being a missionary or helping the poor. I would love to do those things. I'd be willing to do them. I don't think I'm above them or anything. I'd do whatever God wants me to. It's just... I'm a little too clumsy for serving people materially. And, though I'm good at taking care of people (many people at school, even those I don't know very well, come to me for advice/comfort), I'm also a little bit awkward... too "bookish" for some people to feel comfortable starting a conversation (I'm not sure if that's the right way of putting it. I'm friendly and talkative, but I was never the camp counselor type.)

I've always been good at teaching (and have quite a bit of experience). I wanted to teach elementary/high school for a while. But, after a few years of college, I felt really drawn to studying a lot more. Before I finally gave in and realized that God might want me to be a sister (and that I really want it, too), my plan was to get a doctorate or two in Philosophy/Theology, then teach college and write popular book, refuting errors and giving people the helpful background info to understand amesome people like St. Thomas! I'm good at all of that sort of thing. I like that sort of thing. That sort of thing would've worked well. If that tells you something about my natural talents/personality and what order I would be good for, that'd be helpful.

I do still need to pray/contemplate a lot!- I want to give my life to Christ entirely- and that includes spending quality time with Him! I already pray most of the Divine Office Daily, as well as daily Mass, adoration/benediction, spiritual reading, and rosary. I wouldn't want to pray LESS as a sister.

I also like habits, but that might be some pride, wanting to be "a real, hardcore sister" or something.

This post shows a little bit of frivolity on my part, but help me out! Thanks!

Sponsa-Christi

Welcome, Julie!

You'll get a lot of suggestions for different communities here, but to start things off, you could check out:

Nashville Dominicans - Dominican Sisters who teach on all levels, including college

Alma Mercy Sisters - they have a very serious prayer life while being engaged in a wide variety of "professional" apostolates, including teaching on all levels

Parish Visitors of Mary Immaculate - they do describe themselves as missionaries, and they do work with the poor at times, but you should check them out anyway because they have a really beautiful charism. A lot of the Sisters will talk about how they were shy when they entered the community, but after joining found "missionary" gifts they never knew they had.

Daughters of St. Paul - their charism is evangelization through media

Also...it's worth saying that consecrated virgins can also evangelize through academic work. ;) 

sr.christinaosf

If you're in the US, definitely CHECK OUT cmswr.org.   They have a listing online of their member communities- -- that's how I found our community.   Actually we are on the road back from the CMSWR National symposium for the Year of Consecrated Life...great experience! !!

sr.christinaosf

tHink a lot of communities could fit your self-description.  But the CMSWR is a wonderful resource of active communities that are more faithful to the Church's vision for religious life. I might be helpful for you to share what part of the country you are in.  Although geography isn't everything, oftentimes God works with us where or near where we're at. I am from Minnesota and ended up in North Dakota.  

Sr Mary Catharine OP

From everything you wrote I wouldn't be so quick to check off contemplative/cloistered life! I always wanted to teach, be involved in evangelization, and never thought I was 'the type' but then slowly I found that my way of expressing all that was living a full contemplative life! Just don't be too quick to discount it. At this point I'd do what Sr. Christine says. Check out the CMSWR site (all active congregations) and www.religiouslife.org (both) and start by contacting communities that attract you. Sort of process of elimination!
Since I was discerning before the internet I'd have piles of envelopes from the different communities and I was always shuffling them around! :-)
I actually only visit 3 communities! But visiting is a help!

Oh, yes, PRAY! Leave yourself open for the Lord to show you the deepest desires of your heart!

There's only one Order you should think about...

D O M I N I C A N S

I do like the Dominicans a lot- my favorite saints are all Dominicans, my SD is a Dominican, my best friend is planning on being a Dominican priest, and most of the professors I'm close to are tertiaries. If I were a guy, I'd definitely see being a Dominican Brother or Priest. I don't know very much about Dominican sisters, though. It seems like most of the more lively communities are on the east coast, and I'm in SoCal.

I do like the Dominicans a lot- my favorite saints are all Dominicans, my SD is a Dominican, my best friend is planning on being a Dominican priest, and most of the professors I'm close to are tertiaries. If I were a guy, I'd definitely see being a Dominican Brother or Priest. I don't know very much about Dominican sisters, though. It seems like most of the more lively communities are on the east coast, and I'm in SoCal

@Gabriela beat me to the Menlo Park Dominican Nuns (near San Jose). I don't know what area of Southern California you are in specifically, so I can't decipher how far that is exactly for you.

There are tons of communities in California. You can look here at http://www.deoestgloria.com/us.g.ca.html It's a webpage that has listed all of the religious communities in California. There might be a few communities that interest you, just look around and keep praying about it! :like2:

AveMariaPurissima

There's only one Order you should think about...

D O M I N I C A N S

Exactly what I was thinking! :nun: As I read your post, I kept thinking that it sounded very Dominican! :)

I do like the Dominicans a lot- my favorite saints are all Dominicans, my SD is a Dominican, my best friend is planning on being a Dominican priest, and most of the professors I'm close to are tertiaries. If I were a guy, I'd definitely see being a Dominican Brother or Priest. I don't know very much about Dominican sisters, though. It seems like most of the more lively communities are on the east coast, and I'm in SoCal.

Not SoCal exactly, but the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist have missions in San Francisco and Sacramento.

and welcome to Phatmass and VS!!! :):heart:

Edited by AveMariaPurissima

Sponsa-Christi

Sorry my last post was a bit east coast-centric!

If you're in the Los Angeles area, you should check out the Carmelite Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Los Angeles.

Based on what you've written, I don't know that they would jump out as a perfect match. But if you've never visited a convent before, they would be an excellent community for a "first visit." They're a wonderful, solid community that seeks to combine contemplative Carmelite spirituality with an active apostolate. If nothing else, meeting them might give you a better sense of what you are drawn to in a religious community. 

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!

I'm in the Los Angeles area, so San Jose is also a bit far. I've visited a few convents, but never really as a come and see type thing. I grew up with Fransiscans, Sisters of the Pius Schools, and Sisters of the Sacred Heart, and we'd visit the older sisters in the convents or go over to help with yard work and things. 

I did go to a "Day of Recollection" with active Norbertines about a week ago.

All those experiences made me more sure of the religious life, but none were quite the right fit.